To follow or not to follow?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NlDALEE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

From Top lane.

Here's what I know so far.

If your opponent leaves lane, the general consensus seems to be (atleast from what I've seen mid lane rage over) to follow your lane.

I have a few questions though.

What if I don't know where he went? Let's say I was buying and in that moment he disappeared? Of course I know to always call MIA but should I leave my lane and go to mid in a guess that my opponent may be ganking it?

I also notice when I'm playing ranked and mid asks for a gank from me, half the time I'll give them a gank just to come back to top lane and have my opponent be half a level to a level up on me with a CS advantage.

Also, what if I KNOW the enemy top laner is going towards mid and it's a clear advantage for me to gain a CS/Exp advantage over him? Can I just tell my mid laner to play safe for a minute in order for me to get the advantage?

As a top laner I know many of these little things are very important in maintaining if not winning your lane. Just a small exp deficient can mean the lane a lot of the times.

I'd like some feedback from anyone (mostly other top laners though)

TL;DR: When should I follow my opponent as a top laner? Is it sometimes better to just tell my mid to play safe whilst I get an exp/lv advantage from my opponent leaving?

Jmbomb

02-04-2013

The jungle has 2 camps near mid.
ignore him

Mïkêy

02-04-2013

If you can actively see your lane heading somewhere, and don't have a big wave follow. If you do have a big wave, say like top inc mid or something, and stay top, because they're missing out on a lot of xp and gold, so you should be able to stay ahead.

If however, you're fairly pushed and you see them heading somewhere, or if the first scenario is true but you really NEED to go to help, then it's a pretty good idea to counter-gank them

NlDALEE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mky View Post
If you can actively see your lane heading somewhere, and don't have a big wave follow. If you do have a big wave, say like top inc mid or something, and stay top, because they're missing out on a lot of xp and gold, so you should be able to stay ahead.

If however, you're fairly pushed and you see them heading somewhere, or if the first scenario is true but you really NEED to go to help, then it's a pretty good idea to counter-gank them
I see.

I often get chewed out by my mid laner for my opponent ganking them when I've clearly told them that top is heading mid.

I'd think it'd be beneficial to both my mid laner as well as myself.

If my opponent goes mid, I get an advantage to assist me in winning the lane which can help me get a kill or two which I can use to help my mid laner out.

They always die though ...

BlueBeanstalk

02-04-2013

No matter what happens, if one lane kills another you will be blamed. I've followed enemy top mid before, said he was inc and we countergank him. He still manages to kill mid and all mid had to say was GG Darius.

Try and figure out what's going to be more important. Can their top dive your mid? Where is your jungler? Their jungler? By staying will you be missing out on a huge farm?

You can always spam abilities to destroy the lane and push it so the turret gets his farm.