Dodging penalty to League points is wrong (IMO)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UberSkoobz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

So far this is not excessively major as an issue to me but I see this as the wrong way to go for punishing people who actually need to use the dodge feature.

I have had to dodge twice out of the 8 times I have been in champion select with the new system now, the first was due to last pick being mad they didn't get their role and instant locked the same role as the first pick, and the second due to a connection issue to PvP.net, to which I lost no overall internet access, and my friends in another game of LoL said they had a lag spike. I attempted to reconnect without dodge to no avail.

So I have lost 6 league points now and neither have been my fault. The only way I see queue dodging to be bad, is when people are using it to dodge an unfavourable team composition, which still isn't that bad to do if you ask me.

Queue dodging is good for numerous reasons;
-It can avoid trolls, or offensive and unfavourable team-mates who you can see already breaking the summoners code or are already in the process of doing it.
-Unforeseen r/l occurrences that require immediate or near future attendance by the player, like being informed that they need to go out for something, or pick up a drunken injured friend from a club. These things can't wait 50 minutes of a full game.
-Accidentally joining queue when undesired (yes this one is silly) I have accidentally joined ranked a few times when I don't want to, but it was okay last season because all I had to lose was 30 minutes and that would give me plenty of time to do whatever I was meant to be doing.

Surely a 10-20 minute timer with no actually rating penalty is fair?

In theory, losing league points are your skill level, it requires you skill to to acquire them, and a lack of skill may cause you to lose them. So by this logic, being forced to leave a queue in this system shows our lack of skill. Ability to stay in queue = skill.

I am against ELO/LP loss from queue dodging, and am more than willing for there to be an increase in dodge timer to compensate.

Arcticfury

02-04-2013

What makes you so much better than the pack that you don't have to play the random people you are matched with? Your ranking is based on the whole community, but you feel that you are so superior to this that you can dodge and only play when the team you are matched with is superior to the opponent team. You are the reason the system is not perfect, you and your kind.

Increase the penalty, start issuing bans longer than a day, increase the LP and get rid of these trolls.

How is it that one troll can complain for another and Riot listens? Dodgers are the worst kind of troll, eliminate them.

ForbidenSoul

02-04-2013

Have to disagree with you dude. No one "HAS" to use the doge feature, and no one should. If you have any skill, an all random 5 v 5 on summoners rift wouldn't even phase you. I'm glad there is some kind of real penalty now for actually leaving the cue, and not just making people switch over to their alternate accounts when they decide to dodge.

Just as an example I was literally in cue for 45 minutes because I had 6 people dodge in a row. The match I played lasted 36 minutes. That's more time waiting to play than actually playing, and since they implemented the new system guess how many dodgers I've had? 1, only 1 in 25+ games not 6 in one sitting.

Kudos Riot

Otha

02-04-2013

I agree with UberSkoobz losing league points and 30 minute dodge times are too much.

I also take offence to what Arcticfury says here for having a life out of this game shuoldn't consider you a troll and this is coming from a player who doesn't even have a placement.

Dodging is a strategic move that is often the only way to rank up. It allows you to avoid trolls and get the best possible chance to win the game.(and lets be honest we all want to win) You say we should have to deal with the whole community and play with who we get setup with. Well that doesn't always work out because i play this game to have fun and i'm sure most other people do as well and it isn't fun to get trolled by unskilled players who feed and don't know how play as a team, carry, or support.

I think its too easy to get into ranked games and the level cap should be high ensuring that players can play all rolls.

Arcticfury

02-04-2013

I haven't had a chance to play ranked this week, but I'll have a ranking soon enough, and though not high, it is a pure ranking since I don't hand pick my games.

What good is your rating if you only play the ones you're sure you'll win? What good are LP or even ELO if you don't play every game you're given? The system is designed to rate you vs the entire community, but you won't play if you are matched with people that you don't think are up to your skill or deserved status.

What's funny is that these "Trolls" cause so many losses, according to you and the OP, yet they are still in your league or have a similar ELO. You'd be better off playing with them since they can throw games and still play at or above your level. Does anyone think outside their own preconceived ideas?

Feleas

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfury View Post
I haven't had a chance to play ranked this week, but I'll have a ranking soon enough, and though not high, it is a pure ranking since I don't hand pick my games.

What good is your rating if you only play the ones you're sure you'll win? What good are LP or even ELO if you don't play every game you're given? The system is designed to rate you vs the entire community, but you won't play if you are matched with people that you don't think are up to your skill or deserved status.

What's funny is that these "Trolls" cause so many losses, according to you and the OP, yet they are still in your league or have a similar ELO. You'd be better off playing with them since they can throw games and still play at or above your level. Does anyone think outside their own preconceived ideas?
How about this, you stop talking now, experience Division Hell like we have, then come back and join our ranks who cry out loud about the broken division system, okay? okay. /end conversation.

NauFirefox

02-04-2013

Feleas, I would appreciate yor input on my thread at http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3088240

lFalse Kingl

02-06-2013

I would never want to play with poor players. Either disable the penalty or match us correctly. Example, some guy countering himself, going top with a support soka, troll runes, putting players that go 0-10 per game with players that play decently, etc. Also, it is not a matter of opinion. This dodging penalty is wrong.

Arcticfury

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lFalse Kingl View Post
I would never want to play with poor players. Either disable the penalty or match us correctly. Example, some guy countering himself, going top with a support soka, troll runes, putting players that go 0-10 per game with players that play decently, etc. Also, it is not a matter of opinion. This dodging penalty is wrong.
His ELO is the same as yours, so he is able to make that ELO while countering himself. It appears he has a lot of potential once he learns the counters.

The problem is the guy who dodges until he gets his perfect game and then complains about the people at his rating that aren't as good as him when they are rated the same. That baddie, noob, troll, or whatever you want to call him, is able to play at your level (yes, countering himself, playing double mid, etc.) he can maintain your ELO. Why not focus on making yourself better rather than complain about someone at your level?

And if you are dodging to get the right games, think how much lower your TRUE ELO is compared to theirs? You are winning more than you should and dodging your losses and these "trolls" are playing every game they can and keeping up with you.

I reiterate, you'd be better off playing with them and learning how to win and carry rather than complain about it always being someone else's fault for your poor skill level. LTP

Nightwhite3

02-06-2013

I agree with this. Its very aggravating when I get LP I just earned from a win but then I lose it because I have to dodge. When there's a troll on your team you can stay and lose or you can dodge and lose points plus a ban. Im fine with a 30 minute ban but losing points for avoiding a certain loss is ridiculous.