Sorry Olaf. (Nerfs comprehended)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Levissle1

02-03-2013

FOR THE TLDR INQUIRE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

I paid for Brolaf, I love tearing through my enemies as an angry or bro viking, always have, unfortunate to say it isn't viable to say always will, I expected a Ragnarok nerf, in fact I advocated it, especially given the new system for calculating armor pen in season 3.

I believe if I recall correctly that the cooldown on Ragnarok is 100 Sec. with no CDR, and a game might run for an hour and some straggle minutes to reach level 6, in this scenario this means if Olaf activated Ragnarok every chance it was available, he would still only use it 6% of the game post Lvl 6, that means that 94 % of Olaf's post Lvl 6 pre-nerf armor pen capabilities are gone, and this is not the end of this nerf.
60 * 60 = 3600
3600/100 = 36
36 * 6 = 216
216/3600 = .06 = 6%

Undertow, already a difficult skillshot to predict, land, and recover, now has it's slow decay over it's duration, I am not sure on the technical numbers, but ganking as jungle Olaf will be significantly more difficult as I have come to find.

When it comes to vicious strikes, at least in my gameplay, Olaf is not wrecked by these 4 seconds of PUTRID PATHETIC BABYMAN, however, Thor can no longer yell milliseconds away from death and fight his way from dying, seriously killed a lot of the fun for me, but who knows maybe the community has a different opinion.

Here come the plethora of indirect nerfs to further amplify the amount of nerf stick that Riot decided to come at the leagues bruisers with.

Giants belt: health reduced to 380 from 400 (Part of the expensive frozen mallet, Olaf </3)

Warmog's Armor: Cost increased from 2650 to 2830 (Many Olaf's build a nice Mogs.)

Sunfire Cape: Total cost increased from 2500 to 2650 (Not too common but viable.)

Bloodthirster: Total cost increased from 3000 to 3200
(Some Vikings just want to watch the world burn)

Black Cleaver: Health reduced to 200 from 300 (Atma's + Vicious strikes = Less effective)
The stacks actually give 1 % more armor pen and Olaf doesn't care about having to land one more auto attack or undertow because of Berserkers Rage.

I am officially done complaining, I agree Olaf could have seen some reform in Season 3, but to make him sing the F.U.N song with Trundle and Karma for the opening of Season 3 seems a bit harsh.

For the TLDR:
Olaf's Ragnarok has NO passive.
Undertow is almost strictly jungling.
Vicious strikes opens a huge window of vulnerability due to increased CD.
Many weapons in Olaf's potential arsenal are either more expensive or less effective.

EDIT: I do wholeheartedly apologize if any information attained for the forming of this rant is incorrect, feel free to correct any and all errors.

Lostlemur

02-03-2013

Looooooool the F.U.N. song with trundle and karma that made my day xD

Alvan Yakatori

02-03-2013

Im with you. Olaf players unite

MrSnitches

02-03-2013

I think I hear something along the lines of "I don't want Olaf to be anything but easy to play".

Levissle1

02-03-2013

What you should probably hear is something along the lines of "I believe Olaf needed a nerf, but I think this takes it a bit too far."

MrSnitches

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levissle1 View Post
What you should probably hear is something along the lines of "I believe Olaf needed a nerf, but I think this takes it a bit too far."
Nope, don't hear it.

Acanthus

02-03-2013

Undertow really needs to have its decay taken off. I'm ambivalent about most other things since numbers can be tweaked. The Ragnarok armor pen passive was needed though, given how armor is extremely inefficient to build right now because of all the penetration.

Vinterheim

02-03-2013

I'm only mad at Undertow's nerf, i mean, landing that bloody axe is hard enough, it's a slow and thin skillshot and the cd if you don't pick it up make my eyes bleed.

customplaying

02-04-2013

I agree, olaf is dead, and for all the "now olaf requires skill" players, olaf dropped to 41% win rate post patch, and in platinum, where the most skilled players are, olaf is below 40% post-patch, so he's like... the new karma.....

BerserkerSquad

02-04-2013

I agree that Olaf was over nerfed. The whole patch, like the changes to the items, was directly targeting Olaf.