Picking vs Calling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alan Lyxion

02-05-2013

@Yhufir: There's also the factor of common courtesy. I someone requests a position, it'll make their day to say "Okay, I was planning on that, but I can z instead." Sometimes they'll even go "Oh okay, I can y if you want to x." No everyone in LoL is a troll, and about one in three games I manage to scrape up a genuinely nice and good team.

If you let someone have the role they want, they will probably play even better than they normally would because they think they've found a nice team and want not only for themselves to win but their teammates also.

Sometimes, someone just honestly sucks at a role, and no matter how much practice or how good they are at other roles, they will likely stay sucking at that role. Personally, I'm not a good support (except maybe Sona), but I usually dominate Mid and Top. I'm only a decent adc and a bad jungler. Sure, I can play these roles, but I'm not good at them and will probably need to be carried by my team.

So... eh. Just my two cents, take it or leave it, pick me apart, do whatever you wish.

Also, to anyone still replying to the Mageinta, this topic isn't about countering Singed or trolls. Stop feeding him, please.

PoisonedPeace

02-05-2013

It doesn't really matter what anybody calls...
If the first pick wants top and it was already called by someone else, then too bad ffor someone else. He is going to pick a top champ. If you want to troll you can go ahead and pick a top champ and duo top with him, and piss everyone off.

I always tell my team what role I prefer, and if someone else wants it I let them have it. No reason to start fighting before the game even starts

Yhufir

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Lyxion View Post
@Yhufir: There's also the factor of common courtesy ... about one in three games I manage to scrape up a genuinely nice and good team.

If you let someone have the role they want, they will probably play even better than they normally would because they think they've found a nice team and want not only for themselves to win but their teammates also.

Sometimes, someone just honestly sucks at a role, and no matter how much practice or how good they are at other roles, they will likely stay sucking at that role.

Also, to anyone still replying to the Mageinta, this topic isn't about countering Singed or trolls. Stop feeding him, please.
If I didnt address common courtesy, in some way, then sure, that is a factor. The problem is, or rather my argument to that is, when I was making my way up the ranks from a low elo EVERYONE wanted mid. 4 mid calls and me. I mean, I dont wanna go on another rant or tangent - most of this stuff is on a case by case basis. But the guiding principles are use common sense, be kind, enjoy.

I would love to let everyone have every role they wanted every game. It's just not possible, we all know that. This brings us to your next point about someone just honestly sucking at a role (I'm not being contrary for fun here): Practice DOES make you better. You wont ALWAYS suck at a given role if you practice it. Experience is the ONLY way to get better. We all learn at different rates, and in different ways, but you will learn to be better at a role if you concentrate on it. I don't remember what stream I was watching (maybe just an Elo Hell youtube video) but the guy said try playing a role (or champ I dont remember) 100 times in a row. It's incredibly tedious after a short while, but you will improve your game without fail. You dont necessarily have to get this extreme but you get the idea. Practice Practice Practice. Most important, I believe, is that by learning the WHOLE game - EVERY role - to the point of competency in all given situations, you will win more than you lose. They say learn at least 3 champs per role - try not to use the same champ in multiple roles (that's just a bonus if you can do that after the first 15).

All of this assumes you want to get better. If you're just playing for fun, F* it.

Also, anyone replying to Mageinta with seriousness is getting trolled so hard. I wish he would reply more - that **** is funny.

Yhufir

02-05-2013

Anyone interested in some of the psychology behind these arguments, look up:

"KOHLBERG'S STAGES OF MORAL DEVELOPMENT"

Espair

02-05-2013

Pick order > how fast you can type. You can ask, but if im ahead of you you might not get it.