Picking vs Calling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mageinta Warrior

02-04-2013

The Summoner's Code doesn't enforce a meta though. So when I see we only have 1 top laner, I need to fill the niche that is second top laner.

Stew514

02-04-2013

Good team composition is all about flexibility and communication. People who instalock, or refuse to play anything other than their preferred role are toxic and the community needs better ways to handle them other than take a 20 minute surrender loss or dodge queue.

As to the OP, calling doesn't exist you're simply stating which role/lane you would prefer to play.

Axiom Prime

02-04-2013

Actually ELO isn't taken into account anymore, since the switch I've had lower league players getting first pick which leads me to believe that ELO or MMR isn't used as the value deciding pick order at this point. So, the elo pick order argument is no longer valid.

Axiom Prime

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpprobriumIII View Post
IMO calling > pick order, when adc, top, or mid is first pick they are easier to be countered and is easier to counter pick if you are the last few picks. Why should i try to counter pick when I have to play a support? Knowing that the ADC i will be laning with is going to be shut down all game

I would give you Top and Mid, however ADC is Support and Positioning dependent, no matter which ADC you choose it's near impossible to counter pick a similarly skilled ADC Opponent. If that were the case pretty much EVERY ADC player would only play Cait, Trist, and Varus for their range.

But we don't see that do we? No, because ADC's are player dependent much more so than mid or top, You could be a great Cait, but have a ****ty support and face a Draven and Janna bot, just to get stomped.

NinetyNineTails

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalchrome View Post
In Draft mode, your pick determines when you make a choice. Admittedly, there should be some strategic discussion involved and the willingness to work with other players...but in Draft mode, pick > calling. Determining who chooses first by calling is a bit silly when you consider that load times and typing speeds should by no means be relevant factors.
The bottom line is that this is an accurate description of the situation. It bears additional emphasis that there is no enforcement of call > pick order. Any system that depends entirely on buy-in from the players is simply not realistic. In the real world, I believe that showing respect towards one's fellow players by trying to respect their calls is a winning strategy. Using the pick order to enforce these things does tend to increase dissention on one's team. But I've also seen people be very polite and clear about how they had first pick and were going whatever role and had other people rage and explode and troll the game hard because of it. And I don't blame the first picker for how that worked out. It's everybody's responsibility to work together and find a solution that works for everybody.

cauliflower

02-04-2013

So being unskilled is not breaking the summoner's code (you can't get punished for it.) And being unskilled includes being unknowledgeable. What if you genuinely don't understand what makes a good team comp? In this context, not filling that "niche role" is not breaking the summoner's code.

I'm just arguing for the sake of argument.

ROKAF JE

02-04-2013

Pick order > Call order. That's why it's there. You aren't forever doomed to permanently last picking.

That being said, if someone is NOT COMFORTABLE in a role, you shouldn't make them play it. It's the perfect recipe for a game loss.

LeSSSouL

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
No. Mageinta just goes to every topic about heroes he can possibly find and posts "I only play Singed top". He rarely, if ever, contributes to an actual discussion or talks sensibly. Just ignore him.
His Match history makes it obvious that this not the case either.

MinecraftNinja

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
Why no instalocking? I only play Singed top, why should I not instalock?
Damn thats pathetic.

PhoenixDog

02-04-2013

Calling is only viable in Blind Pick. In Draft..It goes by the order of selection. There's many times I will ask for ADC, even if I'm then last pick. By asking nicely, a lot of people are more open to the idea of letting you pick ADC regardless of position. Showing some politeness goes a long way.