current state of zilean

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sonus

02-03-2013

I'm just curious what everything thinks the current state of Zilean is? Can he be played viably as a support or just as mid?

Cyanide Velocity

02-03-2013

He's awkward. He is supposedly a good support, but he pushes lane and doesn't offer anything unique compared to other supports. And as for mid, he's supposedly a utility mid kinda like Orianna but doesn't pull through. His Q damage is decent but that is all there is. Once he double bombs he's left just standing there waiting to pop R.

flyingtoasters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

I want to be able to play Zilean mid, but it's tough to farm well with his awkward autoattack animation, and using bombs wastes mana and pushes the lane. I like him as a support because of his huge early game damage, but there's other better ways to do it.

Auspexa

02-03-2013

Zilean is an awesome support but I'm against Zilean mid simply because he doesn't need AP to be useful, he just needs Athene's, Shard, Shurelia.

"he pushes lane useless support", ignore that argument. His poke is great and it's ok to push lane if you cover your lane with wards.

Sonus

02-03-2013

as a support it was nice basically being able to perma speed someone

Axtrosz

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonus View Post
I'm just curious what everything thinks the current state of Zilean is? Can he be played viably as a support or just as mid?
He's extremely broken, with the right CD reduction you can get 4 sec CD on W, which means that you can have your Ult nearly always by the end of the game, you can speed and slow people as if there was no tomorrow and bomb **** to secure kills.

Definitely UP, needs buff.

bob000

02-03-2013

The itemization changes werent too hot for him.

NotBuzzJack

02-03-2013

Crazy mana hog early. His bombs do a ton of damage but daaaamn that 130 mana cost.

Mortox

02-03-2013

He isn't terrible but I think he could use a little love, he might improve if there were more new relevant items for him. Things like the new Seeker's Armguard (into Zhonya's) isn't exactly what he wants, in my humble opinion.

I've played him a bit lately, both as mid and support, his early game is definitely strong, he can put out tremendous burst at lvl 3, and at 4 (when you rank his E) you can pull off some successful ganks with your junglers help, but in terms of damage he falls off late. He's good I think if you have a fairly damage-oriented team who isn't relying on you for your dps in the late game and can simply bank on your utility to win fights by peeling their bruisers/assassins with your slows and ulting your carries.

His biggest problem as Support is his mana costs, he's almost forced to build some personal items (ie: Chalice) before getting into the regular support items (Sightstone, gp5s, Twin Shadows-type stuff, etc) or you're simply OOM too often, and if you're not OOM then you're not pressuring which is also bad.

One item I consider almost core on Zilean regardless of mid or support is Morellonomicon, it gives you the AP, CDR, and Mp5 you need, plus it's rather cost efficient. The proc on it isn't relevant most of the time but when it is, it makes it that much better. Obviously items like Chalice/Athenes are good as well, as he's a huge mana hog.

I'd like to see Zilean rise into the mainstream a bit more but I think for that to happen he'd need some QOL changes in one way or another, or as I said, new relevant items.

MadLock

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortox View Post
He isn't terrible but I think he could use a little love, he might improve if there were more new relevant items for him. Things like the new Seeker's Armguard (into Zhonya's) isn't exactly what he wants, in my humble opinion.

I've played him a bit lately, both as mid and support, his early game is definitely strong, he can put out tremendous burst at lvl 3, and at 4 (when you rank his E) you can pull off some successful ganks with your junglers help, but in terms of damage he falls off late. He's good I think if you have a fairly damage-oriented team who isn't relying on you for your dps in the late game and can simply bank on your utility to win fights by peeling their bruisers/assassins with your slows and ulting your carries.

His biggest problem as Support is his mana costs, he's almost forced to build some personal items (ie: Chalice) before getting into the regular support items (Sightstone, gp5s, Twin Shadows-type stuff, etc) or you're simply OOM too often, and if you're not OOM then you're not pressuring which is also bad.

One item I consider almost core on Zilean regardless of mid or support is Morellonomicon, it gives you the AP, CDR, and Mp5 you need, plus it's rather cost efficient. The proc on it isn't relevant most of the time but when it is, it makes it that much better. Obviously items like Chalice/Athenes are good as well, as he's a huge mana hog.

I'd like to see Zilean rise into the mainstream a bit more but I think for that to happen he'd need some QOL changes in one way or another, or as I said, new relevant items.
The problem is that Zilean requires mana more than most Mages. However if a mana item is too good, on Ryze for example, he gets hurt more. Zilean is one of the most item dependant champions. With the nerfs to most CDR items, Zilean took the biggest hit.