Do you like the ranking system?

Yes 63 43.45%
No 82 56.55%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

How to Fix the New "Elo" System.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

riveraaaa

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSickle01 View Post
Get it through your thick head you're playing a MULTILAYER GAME WITH RANDOM PEOPLE. People are so stupid it's painful.
That is the truly answer, keep trying to win u can do it

Timammoth

02-09-2013

i had the same thing happen. Except i dropped from Silver 1-Silver 4.
The brackets seems to be the biggest problem. It seems like it just throws you with people in your same tier. ie. Silver. not silver 4. (if thats where im at)

It seems like if you play well and get up to the promotion series. 3 wins in a row to get there.
Win your 1st promotion game. Lose the next game. Maybe u got beaten in lane and played bad. ( 1st bad game in 5 games). Then get unlucky in your 3rd promotion game maybe someone throws a close game.

After that your down to 70 points again. And have to win 2 in a row again to get to the promotion series again. So for 4 wins 2 loses you have made 0 progress at all and your in the exact same position you were at. This is just too hard to go up. Unless u get lucky or have to carry really hard.

Gulrok

02-12-2013

Had a guy from Gold pick Varus and intentionally lose us the game.

His excuse was "I'm losing 0 points" so I don't care.

ROKAF JE

02-12-2013

If it ain't broke...

Nibelhim

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

so many nos....

i think yes to the leavers and trolls at the very least.

when you get games where your hard support has more money from gp10 then mid...

or afkers 3 games in a row lowering your division there should be some sort of failsafe or something at the least.

Cyreniti

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2013

I have found that since season 3 has started (not pre-season where most of my losses came from) i have been getting a winning streak then losing 2 games then another wining streak... In saying this i am not moving divisions because the 2 games im losing always happen to be in my promotionals. So there is no way to really tell how good a player is in Bronze, Silver and maybe even Gold as when those couple games are the ones you lose it doesn't matter how good you are and how long your winning streak has been.

9/10 losses i get are from trolls or throws and then 9/10 losses happen to be in the promotionals. So its not like im moving very far. i managed to get into 4 promotional series in a 24hr period for the same division promotion.

BigSocks

02-17-2013

Honestly, I think the new system sucks. before the patch, I had an almost even win/loss ratio. I've played about 10 games since the patch and lost all of them. This means I have dropped down two divisions in Silver league and have zero points... Every game has devolved into teammates fighting and blaming each other.

So Riot, where is my 'sense of achievement'. Where are my 'similarly skilled opponents/teammates'? The only 'milestones' I've hit have been getting booted out of one division after another.

2 explanations come to mind:
- I've always been a bad player and Riot over ranked me, therefore I have to lose a ridiculous number of games before I can hope to win anything.

- The new system is nothing like the old one and I'm supposed to lose a ridiculous number of games.

Now, of course I know I should be losing some games. But all of them? Really? New ranked system sucks and is only making me miserable.

LogicalTautology

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSocks View Post
Honestly, I think the new system sucks. before the patch, I had an almost even win/loss ratio. I've played about 10 games since the patch and lost all of them. This means I have dropped down two divisions in Silver league and have zero points... Every game has devolved into teammates fighting and blaming each other.

So Riot, where is my 'sense of achievement'. Where are my 'similarly skilled opponents/teammates'? The only 'milestones' I've hit have been getting booted out of one division after another.

2 explanations come to mind:
- I've always been a bad player and Riot over ranked me, therefore I have to lose a ridiculous number of games before I can hope to win anything.

- The new system is nothing like the old one and I'm supposed to lose a ridiculous number of games.

Now, of course I know I should be losing some games. But all of them? Really? New ranked system sucks and is only making me miserable.
The only way that the system could possibly be making you lose way more games than before is if you are by far the worst of the 10 players in every single one of your games.

But if I understand the system correctly, you are being matched with literally the same people as you would have been in the old system.

A K K O Z E N

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeArchon View Post
This list of pros and cons basically doesn't make sense. These are things that you personally like or dislike, but they don't really speak to what a ranking system should do. That's where you need to start. What is the purpose of a ranking system? Your personal goal might be to climb in rankings, but that is not the system's goal. So why would "easier to drop divisions", or "lose more points than you win", be a con for the system itself?

Think about the way player skill is distributed. In most contexts, it's reasonable to assume a normal (gaussian) distribution of a given skill over the human population. In the context of a self-selected activity like a game, it's also fairly common for a section of the left tail to be truncated, given a correlation between "no skill" and "no interest" in the activity. So you end up with a positively skewed distribution of skill in the player population.

If you want the ranking system to be accurate, then that skill distribution means that most players will not get promoted. If the peak of the distribution curve is right around Bronze/Silver, then most players will end up in those categories, and most of them will never leave that section of the graph - meaning they will never get promoted above Bronze/Silver.

Remember, the system is working the same way for everyone. If everyone really is dropping in divisions at once, then that may simply mean the initial (estimated) distribution was too far to the right, and the system is still stabilizing towards its steady state.

On a side note:
Yes, that is the literal definition of "a couple".
basicly what this guy ^ said. covers it. in life every aspect every action requires a certian skill. more ppl are unskilled (or we could say average) then the ppl who are quite well skilled. average ppl always want to be non-average. most ppl wont be. these ppl are not "stuck" at the level of skill they are at. they belong there.

then they start to blame evrything else just so they can justify their situation and come here to forums to cry on eachotehrs shoudlers