Do you like the ranking system?

Yes 63 43.45%
No 82 56.55%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

How to Fix the New "Elo" System.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Everix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSnafu View Post
You avoid trolls by playing a different game. Sadly any game this is easy to play will be populated by the immature,spoiled,and just people who get off on arguing with others. WoW at first didnt cater to them and they became the largest MMO in the world. Then with Lich King thats all they did and lost all there Core players. Only difference is it took them 4-5 years to cater to the children whereas LoL got that way soon after season 2, , and hasnt been the same since.
This is not true. I've been playing league of legends since the beta ended and the game hasn't changed at all (aside from adding a ton more champions). I will agree that Blizzard did sell out to the noobs though.

RxDôc

02-07-2013

i like the new ranking system i do. However it is still flawed and prolly will always be. Lower divisions arent based on skill its luck. Yeah u have people right now saying im wrong but they are he lucky ones. For anyone (which lets be real im not alone) who has suffered numerous losses due to afk , leavers , feeders and just plain unskilled players to lose league points is ****. its not like these are rare occasions 30-35% pf all my losses are because of said reasons. Why should i lose points cause some1 never loads in?? Also if i feel my team is full of trolls why should i lose points for dodging??? Its my name on the line here and i have to rely on total strangers for advancement?? Wheres the sense in that?? I main support its my favorite role or playing amumu jungle (hes always banned and i except that). Should really put all your effort in to trying to find a system based on personal play in solo/duo since thats how u label it. I can deal with not having a new champion come out until u can resolve this serious issue. Im not alone and i couldnt even imagine how many players you have already lost because u ignore this issue. Sure for every player who stops playing theres 2 more to take their place. Just imagine tho if u didnt lose those players and they are all paying to buy rp for skins , new champs , ip boosts , etc.. how much more could u be pocketing??? Stop ignoring the masses and only focusing on the top 10%. This game will die i promise u if u do cause beacuse just 10% of the communtity is not enough to support all your employee salaries...Yes i am a frustrated but dedicated player. I truely enjoy this game but cant continue to be judged on players i dont know persomance..its just plain stupid to label something solo/duo but judge us on a team basis. Either fix it or rename it to something like "lucky que" or "frustate yourself que" anything but who it is now.

Huggable Creeper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2013

The biggest problem with league is that you are playing a heavily-team relyant game but you are matched with random potential idiots. ie. about 98% of the players

adc

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggable Creeper View Post
The biggest problem with league is that you are playing a heavily-team relyant game but you are matched with random potential idiots. ie. about 98% of the players
TIL everyone raging about team members are part of that 2%.

CorsoKO

02-09-2013

I think this ELO system makes it harder to move up into the next tier (i.e. silver to gold, gold to platinum, etc.)

But that the same time it comes with a silver lining. Once you do make into that next tier you can't go back down to bronze or gold or whatever. I kind of like the glass floor they've implemented. Don't get me wrong I've been stuck in my division/ league with multiple opportunities to get out but I get an AFK or something during promotion series.

I've carried 4v5 on numerous occasions but wasn't able to in those games. At this point I'm just playing for fun. I've found that when I'm not thinking about winning so much that I actually win more. Just try to be patient. We're in our ELO for a reason but when you finally get to the next tier there is no looking back. Try to be positive. GLHF!

laxjoh

02-09-2013

I like what you're trying to do but the new ranking system was intended for people complaining about ELO hell and who found it hard to climb out of the nonexistent "Elo hell."

First of all, it is EASIER NOW to climb the rankings than it was before. It is also EASIER to stay in your current league and not lose ranks. This new system was intended for casuals/less skilled players to feel a bit more satisfied and can witness progress and losses of their ranked play. For people above 2000 elo, this system doesn't make any difference except the Challenger tier. Also, ELO still exists, it is just hidden behind this new ranking system.

There was never anything wrong with the ELO system. As you can see, no matter what kind of ranking system you implement, you will get teammates that can troll or oftentimes just bad. When that happens, it is simply out of your control. The whole point of the ELO system and new ranking system however is this; if you are good enough to climb out, you will eventually climb out even if you get 5 troll games in a row. Because as long as you play consistently, you will win.

I'm not trying to tell people they suck. I suck too. The whole point is you have to play to get better, play to have less than 5 deaths per game, play to just generally be a better player and learning how to carry/support/gank/etc/map awareness.

Also, there are still trolls in Diamond and Platinum games and it is worse at those ranks. Why? Because those players know they can troll to piss off a teammate they don't like and climb back up the ELO/LP that has been lost with relative ease. Also, people at higher rankings just know the game better and can troll games and not make it noticeable therefore they will avoid any form of punishment unless Riot employees specifically look at the replay. Also, in those higher ranked games, people are good that if you make ONE small mistake, the enemy team will capitalize on that mistake.

If you find yourself having a hard time getting out of your division/tier, maybe it means you just need to improve a little bit and you will be able to climb out. Practice and watch videos, learn about ward placements, learn map awareness, learn how to gannk and positioning. If you are winning majority of your matches, losing very few, and your KDA ratio/CS amount is very good, then just keep playing and you will eventually climb out. There are people who support all the time in ranked and climb themselves to Diamond.
----
Also, the reason why it is harder to move up a TIER (not division it is easy to move up a division) is because the amount of LP you gain becomes very little yet the amount of LP you lose is high. This is to prevent people from "accidentally" climbing out from the designated tier. I've noticed there are many silver ranked players last season that were worse than bronze or unranked. They are trying to prevent incorrect placements. And after all, you are about to move up to a new tier that is generally much more challenging/difficult to climb than your current division (or should be). They aren't going to let you climb up that easily as it is already easier than last season.

I gain 3 LP per win and lose about 15-20. I wouldn't complain about how hard it is to rank up. I win about 60-70% of my games and as long as I play consistently, I know I will climb out. If I find myself keep failing to climb out of my current tier, it just means I suck and I need to improve. People just need to take accountability and say that there are things everyone could do better sure but there are many things you yourself can do better to contribute more to the win.

DoAllTheDps

02-09-2013

it isn't built around win streaks i can tell you that much, unless you mean by it that the more games i win in a row the less league points i get. because i went from getting 24 for a win to 9, 4, 2. Pretty much keeping me just under 100lp. Riot trolls too hard.

Jebuu

02-09-2013

What you guys don't get when he says its easier to drop then move up is that when you go down a division you drop to like 50 LP in the next division, but when you move up your at 0 LP in the next division. Meaning that just the dropping of a division itself penalizes you 50 LP whereas winning gives you no "bonus" LP. So a bias towards being pushed down rather than up. .

Another bias towards losing is that you HAVE to not get unlucky in your first few games in the new division or youre screwed, sent down again and have only 50 LP.

And also becuase of the 3 loss bullsh*t. I just moved up a division, won two games was at 36 points, then i got "troll" teammate three games in a row and now I am back down at 50 LP in the previous division. For me to get up to the division I was at means i have to win more than i lose again, and then when I get up there, for the first several games its up to luck if i drop down again or not, because if i get a couple unlucky or bad games ill drop, evne tho i proved I am winning more than losing by making it up the division.

There is a bias towards dropping divisions than moving up. Thats why its harder, even assuming that the win/loss LP thing is fixed, it will always be more likely that i drop a division than move up one just because a few losses in a row shoots me down a while division while winning a few times just gets me in the middle of that division.

Obviosuly if I am in a division and i have a 55% win, that means I actually am pretty good because for me, ONE PLAYER to change the outcome of the games so that we win 10% more games with me (since its a team game) means I am actually too good for my division. But i also only have a 55% win because I am still fairly dependant on my teammates (again, because its a team game) so losing 3 in a row is not inconceivable, sometimes you just get a bad game and then a game or two with trolls. so then BAM you are down a division. But in this same scenario if I want to move up, and i have a 55% win it STILL depends on if i dont get those unlucky losses at the start, but if i get "good luck" and win several in the row i have not moved up.

I would actually like to have intelligent discussion on this topic, because it makes no sense to me. I acutally like the idea of divisions etc, but it doesnt make sense where its easier to dorp than move up. If the ranked is to COMPARE myself to other players it should be an unbiased system so that it TRUELY is ranking myself compared to other players.

Azerax53

02-09-2013

I'm glad to see that you're trying to do something to fix the system, and not just complain about how broken it is. if you want changes to happen be part of the solution not the problem. thank you

CounterSnipe

02-09-2013

You can never weed out trolls. Personally, I'm fine with that. I don't really give people who want to troll my attention anyway, so it's no detriment to me in any way. Also, consider all the man hours needed to sort through millions of reports for trolling. It's just wasted time.