Do you like the ranking system?

Yes 63 43.45%
No 82 56.55%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

How to Fix the New "Elo" System.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Johacoso

02-04-2013

I like the new ranked system, just feel it needs a few adjustments. You lose way too many points for a loss. Plus I think they should add in some safety nets in case someone doesnt connect to the game or afks. Say like if they are lvl 1 or very under lvled and havent moved in a while then at end of game you will get reduced point loss for losing but if you win with a man down then you get bonus points.

Flagrock

02-04-2013

The only problem that I've had in the new ranked system is kind of getting lied to. Riot said the first couple games you would not drop divisions. I went in and started playing and won a game. Then I lost a game and went back to 0 points... then won a game went up to like 20 points... then lost 4 games in a row because I got teams doing 0/7 1/8 bot... 2/7 top, things like that... I drop from my division after 2 games and now have to try and get back to that division after being trolled. This MMR and "League" system seems to be more trendy and easier to get on winning/losing streaks than Elo was. I guess it's just me, but I find that Riot kind of lied when they said that "oh you'll have a couple games of padding so you don't instantly drop down after being placed in a division." So a couple means 2 games? I feel like without the "elo" stamp people don't care if they lose a game at 0 LP because you "don't lose any points" so who cares is how it seems to be going. That's just my 2 cents

ROKAF JE

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulrok View Post
Hello, as a long time player of LoL I want to notice pros and cons of the new ranking system. Later I will suggest how I want to fix it.

Billy's MMR goes down and he plays with scrubs, he also loses division to the bottom of his tier.

ROKAF JE

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrock View Post
The only problem that I've had in the new ranked system is kind of getting lied to. Riot said the first couple games you would not drop divisions. I went in and started playing and won a game. Then I lost a game and went back to 0 points... then won a game went up to like 20 points... then lost 4 games in a row because I got teams doing 0/7 1/8 bot... 2/7 top, things like that... I drop from my division after 2 games and now have to try and get back to that division after being trolled. This MMR and "League" system seems to be more trendy and easier to get on winning/losing streaks than Elo was. I guess it's just me, but I find that Riot kind of lied when they said that "oh you'll have a couple games of padding so you don't instantly drop down after being placed in a division." So a couple means 2 games? I feel like without the "elo" stamp people don't care if they lose a game at 0 LP because you "don't lose any points" so who cares is how it seems to be going. That's just my 2 cents
You will drop divisions, not tiers.

KamikazeArchon

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulrok View Post
Pros
1. Bracketed into a group.
2. A new fresh system that makes sense.
3. Easier for lower ranked people to climb a ladder.

Cons
1. Easy to get trolled.
2. People don't care so much about losing.
3. Playing with people outside your division.
4. Built on win streaks / losing streaks.
5. Lose more points than you win.
6. Losing streaks are more painful than winning.
7. Hard to get out of your division into a higher one.
8. Easier to drop divisions.
This list of pros and cons basically doesn't make sense. These are things that you personally like or dislike, but they don't really speak to what a ranking system should do. That's where you need to start. What is the purpose of a ranking system? Your personal goal might be to climb in rankings, but that is not the system's goal. So why would "easier to drop divisions", or "lose more points than you win", be a con for the system itself?

Think about the way player skill is distributed. In most contexts, it's reasonable to assume a normal (gaussian) distribution of a given skill over the human population. In the context of a self-selected activity like a game, it's also fairly common for a section of the left tail to be truncated, given a correlation between "no skill" and "no interest" in the activity. So you end up with a positively skewed distribution of skill in the player population.

If you want the ranking system to be accurate, then that skill distribution means that most players will not get promoted. If the peak of the distribution curve is right around Bronze/Silver, then most players will end up in those categories, and most of them will never leave that section of the graph - meaning they will never get promoted above Bronze/Silver.

Remember, the system is working the same way for everyone. If everyone really is dropping in divisions at once, then that may simply mean the initial (estimated) distribution was too far to the right, and the system is still stabilizing towards its steady state.

On a side note:
Quote:
So a couple means 2 games?
Yes, that is the literal definition of "a couple".

Azroil

02-06-2013

my question is why removing from a best 3 series if i dodge a Que

Azroil

02-06-2013

dodging means u lost points?thats no why near good fix it riot

Aluvard

02-06-2013

My first Division Series:

Game 1: lost cause of an afker.

Game 2: Won

Game 3: lost because of khazix mid. We had no AP burst.

So I built up my system and went again.

2nd Division Series:

Game 1: Won

Game 2: Lost afker/feeder

Game 3: Feeder 0/12 Skarner fed ADC Ezreal.

So in reality how am I suppose to advance if all I get are feeders, trolls, and afkers?

I will be stuck in Tier 2 forever if this keeps up. It is just a bit frustrating because I will never be able to be any higher with the way the current system is and people trolling the way they are. Riot just needs to fix the current system by getting rid of the divisional series imo.

HeyThereDeLeila

02-06-2013

I understand that losing is part of the game. But losing for 10 straight games is just stupid. People quit, feed, doesn't know how to cooperate and throws the game. Introducing this fking new stupid system attracted so many fking stupid people trying to prove that they can win everysingle team fight without their fking team. This is just beyond stupidity. Riot did not even introduce a new way to communicate to your team. People literally have to chat during team fights(which is fking stupid). Also, when you get demoted, the system will pair you to even worst players. Like how are you going to get up the ladder once again?

Rattale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

I thought the new elo system was fairly fine... then i got 3 points for a win... right after a 7 point win... then i get paired with people in lower divisions... and guess what?!?!? I lose 17 elo!!! FUN!!! thats my last whole 3 games played! thanks riot makes perfect sense!!!