Do you like the ranking system?

Yes 63 43.45%
No 82 56.55%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

How to Fix the New "Elo" System.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gulrok

02-03-2013

Hello, as a long time player of LoL I want to notice pros and cons of the new ranking system. Later I will suggest how I want to fix it.

First of all, this system is very similar to the previous elo system except that you're in brackets. That being said there is still a "hidden" elo or point attached to your name.

Pros
1. Bracketed into a group.
2. A new fresh system that makes sense.
3. Easier for lower ranked people to climb a ladder.

Cons
1. Easy to get trolled.
2. People don't care so much about losing.
3. Playing with people outside your division.
4. Built on win streaks / losing streaks.
5. Lose more points than you win.
6. Losing streaks are more painful than winning.
7. Hard to get out of your division into a higher one.
8. Easier to drop divisions.

--
Let me first state what the definition of a troll is.

Troll - A person who doesn't try to win, intentionally loses, doesn't adhere to the consensus of the team, AFKs, aggressive towards the team, lacks communication, and doesn't care about the others on a team, or someone who is able to be legitimately reported after a game.

The previous elo system weeded trolls out very quickly, while you still had the possibility to play with them, it seemed to fade the higher you got up, by the 1300-1400 you seemed to be scot-free of them.

With a number system in the elo system everyone saw a drop, or saw a rise. This made people think about everything they did.

Imagine this scenario:
Billy it playing a ranked, he isn't doing well, he is getting frustrated.
( This was roughly the conversion. )
His Riot Score is: Silver-D1-50pts
His Elo is: 1410
Riot Ranked System: Billy doesn't care, he says "balls to it" Billy leaves, or quits, or maybe he wasn't having a good time. Billy loses 15 points, who cares? He is still in division 1.

Elo Ranked System: Billy says, "Oh golly if I leave, I'll lose 15-25points, I can't do that, EVERYONE WILL SEE THAT IM A BIG JERK FOR LEAVING, I LOST ELO WHICH EVERYONE SAW, let me play this game out." Billy then plays his hardest and loses. Billy still contributed to the team. It was a close game.

In both scenarios Billy lost, the main point was that in the Elo system he was still constructive, there is no incentive to win in the new system. It encourages constant loses.

---

Secondly, I got dropped from Silver 1 to Silver 2, don't get me wrong I'm upset. Did I play well? Yeah I played well. Did I do the best I could of? No... I had a losing streak.

Why did I lose? I was Silver 1 - #4 in my bracket at one point.
1 - Close game we lost.
2 - AFKer
3 - Renekton said "You don't deserve to win"
4 - "Jungle or feed" Vi, then goes 1/10
5 - Won
6 - Close game we lost.
-- Dropped to Silver 2 --

I went 1/6 for Winning.

In most of those games I was playing with people who were in Silver 3, don't get me wrong, I'm only just shy of Gold, why am I playing with people in the middle of Silver.

Their incentive to win isn't the same as mine, I'm just shy of Gold, and their mindset isn't the same as mine.

They're not at the same point level I am, I could be 1 win from gold, or 1 loss to dropping a bracket, I should be playing with people who are in the same boat. That just allows someone to "troll you back."

---

How do we fix this?

- Weed out trolls.
1. Review those who are reported in ranked.
2. Drop the divisions / brackets that they are in.

- Allow games in which people AFK or "Troll" to be compensated.
1. If people AFK compensate the players, instead of a 18 point loss, make it a 9 point loss.
2. Those people who AFK or Troll (reported of course) to get severe punishments.

- Fix the amount of points that are given or lost.
1. I hate gaining 18 points but then losing 22. How goes that make sense?

- Fix the brackets
1. People who are in Silver 1 shouldn't be playing with a Silver 3, or Silver 4.

Lastly my biggest point is,
- Punish griefers, I understand some people have bad games, but punish those who are "trolling"

Costae

02-03-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdG-...0jKsUA&index=3 Elo still exists, this should explain why the system is the way it is and how to avoid the trolls.

Gulrok

02-03-2013

Doesn't have anything about how to avoid trolls.

KingSnafu

02-03-2013

You avoid trolls by playing a different game. Sadly any game this is easy to play will be populated by the immature,spoiled,and just people who get off on arguing with others. WoW at first didnt cater to them and they became the largest MMO in the world. Then with Lich King thats all they did and lost all there Core players. Only difference is it took them 4-5 years to cater to the children whereas LoL got that way soon after season 2, , and hasnt been the same since.

Gulrok

02-03-2013

I'm not a big fan of the who play a different game concept.

Gulrok

02-03-2013

Also, please explain to me how S2 caters to "casuals"

Gulrok

02-04-2013

About a day in and the vote is 12:12

adc

02-04-2013

Pros
1. Bracketed into a group.

Ok, I can see how this would help people feel better about it.

2. A new fresh system that makes sense.

How so? I feel like it's actually harder for players to understand than the Elo system was.

3. Easier for lower ranked people to climb a ladder.

How so? It's almost literally the exact same system, only it takes comparatively more games to advance (given what we know about the current "Elo" tiers). That is, going up from 1150 to 1500 (old Silver bracket) would take, assuming 12 Elo per win, 29 wins over losses. Now, with 5 divisions (and let's assume 20 LP per win and loss) it takes at the very least 25 games to get to each promotion series, plus at least 1 more win than loss in each of them, totalling 30 wins over losses to climb. However, whether 20 LP is a good baseline to use or not is still up in the air (as far as I know).

Cons
1. Easy to get trolled.

No easier or harder than the old system.

2. People don't care so much about losing.

Why not? You still lose the same stuff for losing.

3. Playing with people outside your division.

You can't actually expect Riot to match you with 9 players from your division, can you?

4. Built on win streaks / losing streaks.

How so? It's based on consistent play - if you're consistently winning, you'll move up. If you're not consistently winning, you'll have more trouble moving up, which makes sense.

5. Lose more points than you win.

Presumably not working as intended - either through some coding error or players not being seeded correctly.

6. Losing streaks are more painful than winning.

Only because it's supposedly not working as intended right now.

7. Hard to get out of your division into a higher one.

Not unless you're not winning consistently - in which case, you're roughly where you should be.

8. Easier to drop divisions.

How so? Once the LP difference from winning/losing gets changed, it should be fine.

LoudFootSteps

02-04-2013

The only problem I see is that since MMR isn't displayed, people only care about their division and league. If people see that they are gaining 2 points for a win, yet they are getting really good increases in MMR they can't see, they are bound to complain. Assuming that someone is getting 2 points per win, the system is saying that their MMR is lower than what the system thinks the average MMR is for that league. If someone is consistently winning when the game believes they shouldn't be, their MMR should theoretically go up faster than usual.

DarkSickle01

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Get it through your thick head you're playing a MULTILAYER GAME WITH RANDOM PEOPLE. People are so stupid it's painful.