Are runes that important?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trappedmoose

02-11-2013

Im just coming up on level 20, and I hear thats when I should start buying runes. However, there are still some champs that I want to buy to fill up some of the missing roles I have (I spent my limited rp/ip on assasins mostly :/ ). So anyway is it wise to just spend all my ip on runes right now or buy 1 or 2 more champs (I'm considering hecarim right now) and then get runes? Also how much is a full, level 20 rune page going to cost in ip? Thanks in advance.

doomed2death

02-11-2013

A full rune page easily costs over 10k runes.

But they are that important; to stay competitive, focus on the runes. They can augment your power a lot more than you think. (IF you have Akali, (you did say you bought a lot of assassins), this becomes triply important).

KegStand

02-11-2013

Level 30 end game runes will be better than any lower level available runes and are considered a waste of your IP to some. Personally I was told by friends who had reached 30 to save my IP for those level 30 runes and tough out the low levels till then. If you are not really caring about wanting the good stuff at end game and are getting frustrated by others at your level who may have lower level runes, sure why not enhance the gaming experience to see what it's like I suppose.

I picked up a few champs on the way and in the end I think it was well worth it to wait as I was able to completely stock up on all the runes I needed at level 30 to outfit my champs with end game runes. As far as I know you cannot sell back Runes of any kind in the game still so those low level runes just sit there as IP wasted. Anyone else could correct me if I'm wrong on that.

*edit*New
Actually I just found this lol. But you could potentially get something back from the tier 1 and 2 Runes through the Rune combiner. I still don't think you get much back in return for your investment though, but if you wanted tier 1 and 2 runes now you could use this process in the end.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...#Rune_Combiner

TheChadley

02-11-2013

KegStand, it seems like you do not realize that the level 20 runes are the same as the level 30 runes. Tier 3 starts at level 20, therefore he is getting the best runes possible and using a rune combiner is not necessary. At level 20 I would advise getting at least a generic rune page set that is good for any character, before buying characters. For example, I would get marks of attack damage (to last hit and increase early game AD) Seals of armor, glyphs of magic resistance, and Quintessence of movespeed. These will work well for any character and are not incredibly expensive, besides the movespeed quints. That way you can play competitively and not be out done by someone simply because they have runes and you dont. From there you can buy your characters and customize your rune page to more champion specific pages, but atleast you'll have your standard rune page to fallback on.

Trappedmoose

02-11-2013

Thanks for all the info everyone! I really like that generic rune page idea, so I'll probably go with that.

KegStand

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChadley View Post
KegStand, it seems like you do not realize that the level 20 runes are the same as the level 30 runes. Tier 3 starts at level 20, therefore he is getting the best runes possible and using a rune combiner is not necessary. At level 20 I would advise getting at least a generic rune page set that is good for any character, before buying characters. For example, I would get marks of attack damage (to last hit and increase early game AD) Seals of armor, glyphs of magic resistance, and Quintessence of movespeed. These will work well for any character and are not incredibly expensive, besides the movespeed quints. That way you can play competitively and not be out done by someone simply because they have runes and you dont. From there you can buy your characters and customize your rune page to more champion specific pages, but atleast you'll have your standard rune page to fallback on.

No you're right I confused myself its the actual slots that unlock as you level up. Forgive me it's been a while, but yes at 20 you should have access to the Tier 3 runes you just won't have all slots open to fill till you hit 30.

Devious Rogue

02-11-2013

Get Runes. If you own just 5 champs, that's enough for unranked play. If you want to get anywhere, your skill level needs to be at the stage where you can stomp unranked on a somewhat regular basis. That means practice and getting use to champs to a high level, not a Jack of All Trades master of none. Make general pages you can use for multiple champs. Ex, I have an AD Page I use for AD Junglers, AD Tops and ADCs. I have an AP/MPen page I use for AP Tops, AP Mids and AP Junglers. I have a GP5/MPen page I use for supports.

Fluffy1

02-12-2013

runes can only be bought with IP, champs can be optionally bought with RP, if you dont wanna grind for weeks i recomend tossing some cash into the game for any champs you want till you have some runes

Cenerae

02-12-2013

The difference between having a full page of runes (at 30) and having none is somewhere around 800-1000 gold's worth of items (give or take a bit), depending on what runes you're using. That's no small thing early game, and it's noticeably harder to beat fully runed players with few to no runes. I know this firsthand because I bought too many champions while levelling, and had only half-done pages by the time I hit 30. It wasn't so fun.

Everything else has already been answered, so figured I'd chip on on how important they are.