Anyone else not want to do ranked anymore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

02-03-2013
4 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
Yegg, I'm curious about something. If we never played any pre-S3 games for placement into the new system, does our previous compressed Elo matter?

Because back when Elo was shown, it was bugged for me. During the end of S2 my Elo was compressed to 1410, then decayed to 1400 from lack of playing. However, it showed me at 1270 something in-client for some reason. However, on LoLKing it said 1400. If previous Elo matters for the new system, can you check to see if it was really bugged or it was just displayed incorrectly.
Previous compressed Elo still matters when determining initial league placement, yes. Your MMR looks correct based on the above description.

Teemo Support GG

02-03-2013

Systems to confusing.

You got our ranked status being dictated by MMR that we can't see, which in turn is dictating our LP gains/losses which we can see.

So what we see, is something thats pretty messed up.

blobbert

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmack View Post
The problem is, because of how small gains are once you're at 90+ lp in a div 1 bracket, you NEED to go on a lucky spree.

Ex. I've been at 90+ LP now 3 times, 1 time I was 14-1 as cait, lost because my team fed. Second, 9-1 as brand, again, lost because my team fed. This last time I didn't go out of control fed like before, but we lost because our support dc'ed pregame and never came back.

Because I lose 15+ LP, but only gain 3-4 when I'm approaching the promotional series, I'm forced to cross my fingers and hope my team can carry their weight whenever I get to 90+ LP.

So really, your system is doing the opposite of what it is supposed to. Besides, isn't the 3 of 5 series supposed to be the check that decides whether you move up, and not the grind to 100 itself?
This should be done, get some LP for playing, more for contributing more (going 14-1 or taking towers) and even more for winning, then have the qualifiers determine.

Rain13ow Dash

02-03-2013

Yegg, have you thought about removing the division series matches altogether and adjusting LP gains/losses slightly to compensate? Since there's no sort of series requirement to get demoted like there is to get promoted it seems inconsistent and makes it feel easier to get demoted. The promotion series for moving between tiers could still be there, but I don't think the ones for moving between divisions seem necessary, especially because a Bo3 series is going to be fairly luck based even if you're good enough to move up.

Neroth

02-03-2013

I have to ask. How is it fair in any way that i play 4 games - win 2, lose 2 and end lower than where i started?
Cause this is exactly what happened to me today. If you are to check it, look for Blackslayter - this is my NA, forum only account.

dafedidi

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
Previous compressed Elo still matters, yes. Your MMR looks correct based on the above description.

Wait what ?

This means that I have Silver III instead of Silver II in ranked after 7 win 3 games in placement match BECAUSE I had 1250 elo in S2 ?

So this means that I tryhard for nothing ? The hell ?

No. No. This, this my friend, is unfair. I didn't play hard during pre-season in normal game to be match with the old me at 1250 elo !

Algaros

02-03-2013

Don't get me wrong the new ranking system was a great idea, but it still has major flaws. For example, it is now much more time consuming to move up in ranked if you're winning every game but fail to do the 2/3 games you're just gonna keep going in a circle or like being stuck in limbo.
I disagree that you need a 2/3 every division, I think it should be the last division before moving up from Silver to Gold per-say. It feels much more lenient towards hardcore lolz players. I like most people have to work, with the last system I was moving much quicker with the little amount of time I have and now It doesn't even possible unless I played non-stop all day every day. The fact that you first have to get 100 points THEN a best of 2/3 that's a minimum of 8 games IF you WIN them all which is impossible in SOLO Queue. Games needed to advance need to be decreased, if not there's no point for me and many others that feel the same way to even play ranked unless you're a hardcore player.

Millouis

02-03-2013

What's the reason behind MMR being hidden now? I'd like to know if I'm above or beneath my tier/division

The Stormchaser

02-03-2013

@Yegg, could we have some more transparancy on jumping divisions? people like Wingsofdeath have jumped from Diamond V to Diamond III based on something, but we dont know quite what it was. I'd like to know what exactly i or anyone would have to do to jump several divisions in one go, i think that would be very helpful

The MechE

02-03-2013

in my opinion, they should just show ELO in conjunction with the tiers.

I'm sure a lot of people's QQ would go away.

It might be something like this:

"WTFBBQ! I JUST WON 2 GAMES BUT ONLY GOT 2 LP IN SILVER DIVISION 1. WHY??!"

*checks ELO*

"Oh...I'm 800 ELO....I see...that explains it."

Seriously, why do you guys have so many problems with showing ELO?