Anyone else not want to do ranked anymore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scarey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
We've talked about this, but the problem with it is that it'd be very demoralizing to be playing a series where the best possible outcome is the status quo and the worst outcome is a demotion. Would you be motivated to log in and play ranked during that? I think a lot of people just wouldn't bother.

The flipside of course is that it makes it feel like the demotion was a lot more fair when it does happen.

How do people feel about this?
As a person that has been demoted immediatly after a promotion, I would have preferred to fight for an opportunity to stay in my division.

Think of a hockey game. If the team losing is down by one goal going into the final minute or so of the game, they aren't demoralized at the idea that the best outcome is a tie and a possibility to maybe win in over time. They don't just role over and die. They reconsitute and pull out all stops by putting an extra player on the ice to replace the goalie. They are not going to get a win outright just like the player competing in a demotion series is not going to move up at the outcome either.

vidaar

02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
Behind the scenes it's working as intended, in that as soon as the system considers you ready for the Promotion Series, the LP clamping will ease up and your losses won't erase multiple wins any more. So you just need to keep winning a bit more than you're losing until you pass those checks.

That said, even though everything is working behind the scenes, it doesn't feel good right now, and there's not a lot of feedback on what's going on, so we definitely need to improve on that. I have some ideas that I'm fleshing out.

My feedback

23 wins 14 losses. I can assure you that getting this win loss ration was not luck. Blood, sweat and tears got me here. Playing out of my skin and telling the team 10 minutes in when you're 4 - 14 down that it's going to ok, got me here.

Can a single player out there tell me they're pretty hopeless and keep getting promoted by being carried in 75% of their games?

Landed in Silver 1 and after this great record I am still on 91 points. I am assuming I'm going to get 2 points for the rest as others have described I have another 5 wins to get to qualifies. Add a loss in there and it could be 10 - 20?

1 I was at about 1400 elo before this started, under the old system I would have been promoted by now in the old system - so how is this working correctly behind the scenes?

2 So you get promoted and stuck in gold 5.. what does that matter? If you really arent any better than gold 5 then that's where you stay and that's what you'll accept. I don't blame anyone for my elo being 1400 in the old days, I needed to improve to move out

3 How long does the clamping go on for and why can't I see the numbers going on here? The whole system was implemented to make you feel better about the smaller steps. Now I look at an invisible staircase (to heaven? and there is no carrot even in sight. Not only is it harder to move up, but I have no idea when that's going to change or where I actually stand.

4 Why not take into account some stats in those games to see if we were "lucky". How much you contributed to your teams success by looking at: total Damage to enemy champs: Damage taken and shielded / healed. KDA not so much. It would be very easy to figure out who got carried and "lucky" as you call it. 5,300 minions, 215 champion kills, 187 deaths and 335 assists is no flash in the pan

IDEA: don't wait till 80+ to apply clamping. From the first game it works out how many wins it's going to be happy with to promote.. if that's an increment of 2 from where you are then at least you know straight away. If you lose one and win one - then you keep even but you're closer to playing the total amount of games required to move up, therefor the closer the LP movements can get to normal - which is higher. So if I win the thrid, I might get 3 LP.. win one lose one at the same, and win another after that and get 4 until eventually you are earning 15 for a win and 15 for a loss ~. It would be far less depressing than going down as far as 0+ lp gain at 99 - yep, seen a screenshot!

I hope this helps.

Lady Talia

02-27-2013

I just won 7 ranked games in a row, had 89 points before and now I am at 98. 2 points for each then 1 point for my last two wins. WTF? Don't tell me what you already posted because it still makes NO SENSE.

tombm

03-06-2013

Bumping this thread. Not sure if this has been fixed yet? Has anyone noticed any fix? Basically I've just won 3 ranked games in a row having steadily moved up silver I and have only got 7 league points... When will I get put into promo? This is quite lame.

nightangël

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot RoboLions View Post

I realize that may be frustrating at first, but I can assure you its worth the effort.
worth the effort? this is not worth the effort anymore. i've out played everyone i've been put up against since day one. the system is broken. i was 1605 last season and because i thought the elo was going to restart i let my little bro play on my account so he can try everything out so i fell really hard. but np it will restart right? nope. the system is broken. you can't based a system on only wins and lost. it most be cut down into even smaller bits. everything that you do to help your team should give you points and base on winning or losing you will gain a lot or lose a lot. say your team won but you were afk for awhile and went 1/10 you would get maybe 5 points because you lucked out and won. but if you lost you would go down say 30.

SmellslikeCF

03-06-2013

Well I haven't encountered this clamping problem yet... but I'm currently in Silver II and I was on 87 points. When I won my next game, I immediately qualified for promotion matches.

I guess my MMR was higher than I expected?

Rakthul

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightangl View Post
worth the effort? this is not worth the effort anymore. i've out played everyone i've been put up against since day one. the system is broken. i was 1605 last season and because i thought the elo was going to restart i let my little bro play on my account so he can try everything out so i fell really hard. but np it will restart right? nope. the system is broken. you can't based a system on only wins and lost. it most be cut down into even smaller bits. everything that you do to help your team should give you points and base on winning or losing you will gain a lot or lose a lot. say your team won but you were afk for awhile and went 1/10 you would get maybe 5 points because you lucked out and won. but if you lost you would go down say 30.
translation: "I was an idiot and didn't have my brother create his own account IN A FREE TO PLAY GAME and because of my idiocy my elo got tanked. Pls riot develop an omnipotent algorithm that can tell when my brother/friend is using my account and clean up after my own mistakes."

ironicobject

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot RoboLions View Post
As long as you are winning more games than you lose you will go up. As you approach a new tier it will be slower, but that is because the system wants to make sure you have earned it and haven't simply had a lucky streak. This was done because of the fact that you cannot lose a tier, so revel in the fact that once you've made it, you're in baby!

I realize that may be frustrating at first, but I can assure you its worth the effort.
I would just like to say that... I've won more games than I've lost in season 3 since the change : and I have been demoted 3 divisions because every win gets me 7 ish points and every loss losses me 17-20. So ya..... you're lying but w/e.

tombm

03-06-2013

Ok so I just won my 4th in a row. I've gone from 88 to 96 points with 4 wins in a row? What the hell guys. I have a decent win rate, decent KDA or on par with people I'm queuing with... Like what's the problem here? If anyone wants to lolking me please do and let me know what the hell I'm doing wrong here

Rakthul

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironicobject View Post
I would just like to say that... I've won more games than I've lost in season 3 since the change : and I have been demoted 3 divisions because every win gets me 7 ish points and every loss losses me 17-20. So ya..... you're lying but w/e.
ironicobject 113 wins 130 losses. You've won more than youve lost? I don't think so. I'm not sure that people are realizing that the games played during preseason are taken into consideration, you did not get a clean slate at the official start of S3.

Personally I think that we should have but thats a separate but related issue. In your case you have not brought up your winning percentage to a positive ratio so the system (rightly) thinks that you are not ready to move up. Once you bring your winning percentages up the system will adjust accordingly and you will see higher LP gains