Questions on high end strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xThePlayMakerx

02-04-2013

So I have searched far and wide for good strategy guides and discussion of tactics. So now I'm asking for top players (gold and above) to post useful threads advising players better understanding of the game. Such as http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3085167

I find that many players understand how to play their champions. If they dont then go play normal ges until you do this discussion won't help you much. Please don't bother posting about wards. Please ward 9% of the time everyone should spend excess gold on wards throughoutid game.

So things I'd love to see discussed is as follows:
Initiation vs Waiting till opponents out position themselves/poking
- I see many teams just engaging, generally with a plan of who to focus buts many of those times it could be better to poke a bit before going in.

When mid should start grabbing wraiths?

How split pushing should be done?
- I'm a big believer in split pushes but many times my team will die either engaging a 4v5 ( which is DUMB) or they due trying to defend a inner tower with no health. So should split pushing only be done by like Shen since he can stand united or can any hard pusher split.

How much do you plan your team comp? Or do you just counter pick.
- poke teams, aoe teams, cc teams, etc

Lane swapping
- when do you lane swap?

Pushing lanes
-I have watched alot of tourny play and these guys seem all about turret damage and getting the creeps to hit the turret or force the enemy to tank the damage. It's always been the mantra last hit don't push so now that I know that there are times DURING lane phase to push what are those times? Just with siege creep?

Vichar

02-04-2013

I'm not Gold so feel free to ignore my post if you like.

As far as initiation goes, it's all about proper calculation. You need to be able to predict the outcome of a fight before diving into it. This includes pressing tab and seeing what your enemies are building and what their CS and kill scores are. You should be able to tell when your team can beat theirs in a 5v5 fight. Beyond that, the team that initiates generally wins. That's because CC is a forcing move: if you're stunned, you can't do anything for a while. If your team is coordinated enough you can often turn a 5v5 into a 4v5 in your favor if you initiate. When should you initiate? When their team is spread out, when you have a local numerical advantage, or if you catch the team moving out of formation: someone has decided to farm or has moved into a position where they are too far for their teammates to easily help. The exception is when you have excellent AOE CC and the enemy team clumps up in a narrow space.

Mid should always grab wraiths when you are out-pushing your lane opponent (friendly creeps are getting hit by enemy mid tower), and your jungler is not a whiny little kid that thinks every jungle creep belongs to him. This assumes you are carrying as mid and not just passively farming.

Split pushing is only a good idea if you can convince your team to stall and not engage under bad odds. Usually the split pusher is good at getting away and you've established decent vision of the jungle on the side you're pushing. No, there are plenty of good split pushers besides Shen. You have to be able to communicate with your team.

As for team picking, try not to overcomplicate things. Think about how the lane will play out. If you lose the lane before laning phase is over, your awesome 5v5 team comp will never come into play. So I would recommend you initially focus on making sure you pick a champ that will do well against the enemy that you think will appear in your lane. You can't always know this, and sometimes you have to pick first, but that's the idea. After that, I would say you should be aware which champs are good early game and which are good late game. This gives you an idea of whether you should stall or focus on ganking or forcing team fights at global objectives early.

Lane swap when you have teammates that know how. I know that's kind of a loaded statement but lane swapping is not a good idea if you're going to confuse teammates. Say rather that the meta is only a guideline. If mid is a squishy caster, you can play something really tanky mid or an AD assassin. If bot is a pair of squishy Adc and support, 2 bruisers can mess them up early. The same idea applies: know which champions are good against which others (experience is the best way to know this), and only swap lanes if you KNOW it gives your team a significant advantage.

Don't make pushing lanes more complex than it has to be.
1) The reason you should last hit and not push your lane is so it's harder to gank you and easier to gank your lane opponent. This phase should last as long as you and your jungler are stronger than your lane opponent.
2) If you are consistently denying the enemy champion farm because you are flat out beating them in lane, it might be to your advantage to NOT destroy the enemy tower so you can keep feeding off of him.
3) If another lane is failing, you should shove your lane so you can roam and gank the lane that is failing.
4) Champion matchups matter. If you are a good pusher but you are at a disadvantage in your lane, push the creeps to his tower and then either grab some jungle, a buff, or gank another lane. Don't just let your pride keep you in lane thinking that suddenly things will get better. You have to MAKE them better.

Hope that helps. Watch pro streams and try to understand WHY they are doing what they are doing. Don't just passively watch it like it's a movie. Also, try to observe what they do DIFFERENTLY from you, and try to guess why. You can answer a lot of your own questions if you watch a stream where the guy is talking and giving reasons.

Shameless plug for a diamond player I watch recently:

http://www.twitch.tv/kronopes

xThePlayMakerx

02-04-2013

Thanks. Im watching and learning alot of things but Im just trying to understand that WHY and the thought process.