Matchmaking -- what happened?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlamHannigan

02-02-2013

Something's gone wrong with the matchmaker. I haven't won a game in a long time. My own skill level hasn't decreased, but reasonably the matchmaker should have put me in a game that was actually winnable at some point. Instead I'm put into matches with people who are worlds better than me, and possibly higher level. So what's going on? Did they make some kind of change to the matchmaking system that I don't know about? I would even appreciate a straightforward loss after an evenly pitched battle, but that's never the case anymore.

EDIT: Or is it always this way until you reach level 30? I'm not sure how placement matches work, or how many you have to do to be placed, but I'm not sure what's normal for this situation. What I do know is I'm losing a lot more games than I used to, and for no particular reason.

TehomCD

02-02-2013

Some of it may just be bad luck. Losing streaks happen - it's not really unheard of to just have a bad run and lose ten games in a row purely by chance, even if you play pretty well.

You could be also having bad matches. The matchmaker tries to give you a fair match, but the longer it takes to look for a match, the less strict it is about having things be even. If it's taking a few minutes before it finds something, you could be looking at a game where it finally just said 'well, okay, close enough' and one team may have a fairly significant advantage. This can happen a lot during off-peak hours, or in modes where not as many people play (draft mode, dominion, twisted treeline, etc).

SlamHannigan

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehomCD View Post
Some of it may just be bad luck. Losing streaks happen - it's not really unheard of to just have a bad run and lose ten games in a row purely by chance, even if you play pretty well.

You could be also having bad matches. The matchmaker tries to give you a fair match, but the longer it takes to look for a match, the less strict it is about having things be even. If it's taking a few minutes before it finds something, you could be looking at a game where it finally just said 'well, okay, close enough' and one team may have a fairly significant advantage. This can happen a lot during off-peak hours, or in modes where not as many people play (draft mode, dominion, twisted treeline, etc).
Suppose the best I can do is keep trying then, thank you. I'm far from being a good player, but I do know the kind of score I can expect in a match. :P

EDIT: Discovered Gangplank's ultimate being next to useless now may have something to do with it >>

Interceptor09

02-03-2013

op, how many wins do you have? I believe the new system matches you with people that have a similar number of wins/losses.

one shortcoming of this is for experienced players that have a small number of wins- well we get matched with the worst of the worst. Im 2-19 since the patch, and I can say with 100% confidence it is due to my teammates. I have never seen people like this with such regularity until 3.01.

its gamebreaking, and if it isnt tweaked its gonna drive me away. I cant subject myself to a 1:10 win ratio while I try to climb up into a more experienced 'bracket'.

and the worst part is - there must not be alot of players in this low bracket. because I am consistently facing opponents that know the meta, roles, and basic elements of the game.

whereas my teammates dont know what a ward is. or go 3 top, 1 mid, 1 bot. and ragequit. and troll. every single game. no exaggeration. this is a joke.

ThatONeillGuy

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbar View Post
and the worst part is - there must not be alot of players in this low bracket. because I am consistently facing opponents that know the meta, roles, and basic elements of the game.
All right, I'll play. Let's look at the enemy teams from your last ten matches and see how well they fit into the current meta (going from oldest to most recent).

Game 1: Singed (Top), Graves (ADC), Heimerdinger (Mid), Garen (Top), Kha'Zix (Jungle, but this one didn't take Smite) -- Nope

Game 2: Garen (Top), Sivir (ADC), Darius (Top), Master Yi (highly variable, but this player tends to build him AP, so let's say Mid), Morgana (usually Mid, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this one went Support Morg since their lolking profile hasn't updated yet) -- Nope

Game 3: Darius (Top), Nunu (variable, but again, I'll assume he went Support), Miss Fortune (ADC), Warwick (Jungle), Twisted Fate (Mid) -- Yep

Game 4: Jax (Top), Malphite (variable, so we'll go best case scenario and assume he jungled), Vi (Top), LeBlanc (Mid), Teemo (Top) -- Nope

Game 5: Talon (Mid), Kennen (Mid or Top), Kha'Zix (again, usually Jungle, but this one doesn't seem to take Smite), Syndra (Mid), Olaf (Top) -- Nope

Game 6: Xin Zhao (Top or Jungle), Warwick (Jungle), Master Yi (Top, Mid, or Jungle), Soraka (Support), Teemo (Top) -- Nope

Game 7: Akali (Mid or Top), Heimerdinger (Mid), Miss Fortune (ADC), Mundo (usually Jungle, but this one didn't take Smite), Zilean (we'll assume he went Support) -- Nope

Game 8: Wukong (Top), Caitlyn (ADC), Nunu (Jungle since he did take Smite), Pantheon (Top), Ahri (Mid) -- Nope

Game 9: Sivir (ADC), Shaco (Jungle), Malzahar (Mid), Nautilus (I'll assume he went Support), Garen (Top) -- Yep

Game 10: Annie (Mid), Tryndamere (Top), Olaf (Top), Maokai (Jungle), Darius (Top) -- Nope

2/10 isn't "consistently." Granted, you only said that you were getting matched against "opponents that know the meta," not necessarily ones that play the meta, but how could you know that otherwise?

Something I find interesting is that of the two enemy teams that actually played the meta, one of them gave you one of your two victories.

Interceptor09

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatONeillGuy View Post
All right, I'll play. Let's look at the enemy teams from your last ten matches and see how well they fit into the current meta (going from oldest to most recent).

Game 1: Singed (Top), Graves (ADC), Heimerdinger (Mid), Garen (Top), Kha'Zix (Jungle, but this one didn't take Smite) -- Nope

Game 2: Garen (Top), Sivir (ADC), Darius (Top), Master Yi (highly variable, but this player tends to build him AP, so let's say Mid), Morgana (usually Mid, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this one went Support Morg since their lolking profile hasn't updated yet) -- Nope

Game 3: Darius (Top), Nunu (variable, but again, I'll assume he went Support), Miss Fortune (ADC), Warwick (Jungle), Twisted Fate (Mid) -- Yep

Game 4: Jax (Top), Malphite (variable, so we'll go best case scenario and assume he jungled), Vi (Top), LeBlanc (Mid), Teemo (Top) -- Nope

Game 5: Talon (Mid), Kennen (Mid or Top), Kha'Zix (again, usually Jungle, but this one doesn't seem to take Smite), Syndra (Mid), Olaf (Top) -- Nope

Game 6: Xin Zhao (Top or Jungle), Warwick (Jungle), Master Yi (Top, Mid, or Jungle), Soraka (Support), Teemo (Top) -- Nope

Game 7: Akali (Mid or Top), Heimerdinger (Mid), Miss Fortune (ADC), Mundo (usually Jungle, but this one didn't take Smite), Zilean (we'll assume he went Support) -- Nope

Game 8: Wukong (Top), Caitlyn (ADC), Nunu (Jungle since he did take Smite), Pantheon (Top), Ahri (Mid) -- Nope

Game 9: Sivir (ADC), Shaco (Jungle), Malzahar (Mid), Nautilus (I'll assume he went Support), Garen (Top) -- Yep

Game 10: Annie (Mid), Tryndamere (Top), Olaf (Top), Maokai (Jungle), Darius (Top) -- Nope

2/10 isn't "consistently." Granted, you only said that you were getting matched against "opponents that know the meta," not necessarily ones that play the meta, but how could you know that otherwise?

Something I find interesting is that of the two enemy teams that actually played the meta, one of them gave you one of your two victories.

while I appreciate the condescending tone, your assumptions are not accurate. just going off of my memory in two of those matches - you are incorrect about champs/lanes. lol @ you for taking the time in an attempt to discredit me. this is the new player forum btw. read the sticky, obey the sticky.

ThatONeillGuy

02-03-2013

Haha, sorry, man. Didn't mean to be condescending. Sorry it came across that way. I just like to use data to counter confirmation bias--a problem we all have to deal with.

My point is, not following the meta ≠ YOU LOSE. I wasn't listing which lanes they went to. I listed which lanes the meta typically places them in, to show that those teams didn't all have one Solo Top, one Solo Mid, one Jungler, one ADC, and one Support. That's why I kept putting Jungle after Kha'Zix, even though I'm pretty sure they didn't actually jungle in those games.

You can totally play Vi as hard support in bot lane and do a great job of it, but according to the meta (at least, last time I checked), she's Solo Top. So what I'm saying is, even though your enemies had team comps that weren't in line with the current meta, they still managed to win, and you can too.

katyyyyyyyyyyy

02-03-2013

everyone on your team is for example 1200 elo. everyone on the enemy team is 1200. the system thinks you got 1200. but you are playing like a 900 elo, thus the enemy team gets an unfair advantage over your team every game and you loss alot in a row. till your playing level is matching your elo, so it gives you credit(or handicap) so you win half your games.

Interceptor09

02-03-2013

ok well I understand the inclinations to point the finger at me. I accept 1/5th of the blame for my 2-19 record the past few days. ultimately though, I am the only person in this conversation who experienced those matches. Im the only one here who experienced the trolling, the ragequitting, the double support laning, the 3 man top laning, the intentional feeding, etc..

so thank you for taking the time to join the discussion, but nothing positive is going to occur in this thread. I used to win 50%+ of my matches, and now Im only teamed with trolls and other undesirables. thats the fact of the matter. I'll deal with it, or move on. the lesson here is dont turn to the LoL community for support, even on the new player forum. peace.

ThatONeillGuy

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbar View Post
ok well I understand the inclinations to point the finger at me. I accept 1/5th of the blame for my 2-19 record the past few days. ultimately though, I am the only person in this conversation who experienced those matches. Im the only one here who experienced the trolling, the ragequitting, the double support laning, the 3 man top laning, the intentional feeding, etc..

so thank you for taking the time to join the discussion, but nothing positive is going to occur in this thread. I used to win 50%+ of my matches, and now Im only teamed with trolls and other undesirables. thats the fact of the matter. I'll deal with it, or move on. the lesson here is dont turn to the LoL community for support, even on the new player forum. peace.
Look, man, I get that some matches really are unwinnable, and sometimes it really is your teammates who make it that way. I've had a Blitz rage at me because he kept pulling a full-health Xin Zhao and--shockingly--I wasn't able to kill him. In a recent game, I had a Tryndamere who bought nothing but a Phantom Dancer and dozens of wards, which he arranged around our base, as well as a Lulu who built ADC and ulted at all the wrong times. And those are just two examples. I get it. I really do.

But I also made mistakes those games, and I didn't do everything I could to help us win.

The problem is, if all you do is focus on what your team does, nothing will ever get better. If you convince yourself that matchmaking always gives you garbage teammates while always giving you golden enemies, and that it's impossible for you to climb out for that very reason, then you make your situation hopeless. So the best advice I can give is to stop focusing on things that are out of your control (e.g., your teammates, matchmaking, etc.) and focus on the things you can actually change (your own play).

Good luck.