Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Worst logic behind ranked changes V2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Quote:
JurisDictum:
Good thread. It's funny I was about to link mine to this. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3077516&highlight=elo+conspiracy&page=2
My theory is its a part of a long term strategy to spread the tiers over lower elos than they currently are. You did a really good job explaining the faulty logic behind why Riot ostensibly changed the ranking system.

Thanks, just trying to make it obvious that there were other motives behind the changes that Riot doesn't want to admit to.

Best BeatwiferNA

02-02-2013

Quote:
Maple Leaf 67:
Exactly, in a tournament you win or lose as a team. In solo queue a bad teamate/troll can single handedly cost you the game.

not true. not even two bad team mates/trolls can cost you the game. if you TRUELY deserve to be higher than you are, you can carry.

seriously. and thats coming from someone thats still in silver. i've started to hard carry a lot of my games, and its making a difference in my ranking.

the new system makes you play a certain amount of games to gain LP. once you have enough LP, you get a chance to play with people that are supposed to be better than you. one game might be an easy stomp. the next might be one where they stack the team against you. if you can PROVE that you belong higher, you carry through, and move up.

xImaginaryfriend

02-02-2013

bumping because I've thought about alot of this myself

DiESeven

02-02-2013

Here's the problem in my opinion... This whole league/tier thing to make it seem like you're actually moving up in a ladder of 250 people is faulty.

In the old ranking system, I never considered myself as #x of x. I looked at it as X ELO out of Current Highest ELO.

So if I was 1500, I saw myself as being 1500th best out of 2500th (if that was the current ELO leader).

You are competing for the highest ELO. Your actual position in terms of a number doesn't really mean anything. I've never heard anyone say "I'm rank 150". They always refer to themselves as their ELO...

Therefore winning a game and going to 1513 ELO felt like a much more accomplished system than this meaningless and frustrating 100 LP system.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Quote:
Best BeatwiferNA:
not true. not even two bad team mates/trolls can cost you the game. if you TRUELY deserve to be higher than you are, you can carry.

seriously. and thats coming from someone thats still in silver. i've started to hard carry a lot of my games, and its making a difference in my ranking.

the new system makes you play a certain amount of games to gain LP. once you have enough LP, you get a chance to play with people that are supposed to be better than you. one game might be an easy stomp. the next might be one where they stack the team against you. if you can PROVE that you belong higher, you carry through, and move up.

You don't understand the concept of carrying. Yes, if you are ranked lower than you deserve to be, you will be able to carry. However, this means that over time you will win more than half of your games. This does not mean you will win every single one of your games. I'm in gold 4, but let's say I belonged in gold 2. I'm better than the average player around me, but not by a huge margin. So maybe I win 55% of my games, which would allow me to slowly climb over time. Anyone who thinks you will win 100% of your games if you are truly better is delusional.

However, in my 3 placement games I get someone who goes 0-8-1 in the first one, carry my second one and get a DC'er in the third one. Now I have to go back and try for promotion again. Whereas in the old system, I would simply be down about 12 elo over the course of those 3 games.

Sure the system will make up for it by giving you more league points per win once you are promoted, but my point is it's nothing like a tournament. What it really does is make those games more stressful if you have bad players/trolls. A tournament environment where you are playing with 4 people you know for a title is completely different.

slifer556

02-02-2013

We came up with the idea of promotional series to give players the feeling of playing in the grand finals of a tournament.

So Riot wants people to feel nervous/ stressed/under pressure, like the pros when they are playing in finals ?

MMEGATRON

02-02-2013

bump

You Got Nerfed

02-02-2013

I didn't think the video made sense either. It was like one of those balance vidoes "We though this champion was too mobile, so we nerfed their damage"

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Quote:
You Got Nerfed:
I didn't think the video made sense either. It was like one of those balance vidoes "We though this champion was too mobile, so we nerfed their damage"

Well I don't know what you mean about the videos but thanks for the support.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

People downvoting care to explain why?