Worst logic behind ranked changes V2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

This is the initial thread I made when the ranked changes were announced.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...=maple+leaf+67

Since then, the system has been released and there was a video put out describing the logic behind the changes. I found all the arguments they made for the change to be lacking at best. Let's go over them.

Moving up 1 spot when you're ranked 23,000 doesn't mean much, but moving up 1 spot when you're ranked 3rd in your gold division 2 league feels great.

When you're ranked 23,000 on the ladder, there will be many people with the same elo as you. When you win a game and gain 12 elo, you will be moving up more like 100 spots on the ladder. With a ladder system, you can look at your rank and say you are in the top 5% of players, or whatever the case may be. Being ranked 3rd in gold tier 2 gives you no idea where you stand compared to the entire player base. Also, as explained in the next point, moving up ranks in your league is actually meaningless, and therefore won't feel as "great" as they suggest.

Since the league system attempts to put you in leagues with your friends, it allows you to develop rivalries with players you care about.

First off, I don't see how being ranked 2 spots ahead of your friend in a league is any different than being ranked 5 elo higher than them. Either way you know your skills levels are close to each other, and the one friend has bragging rights if he so chooses. But the concept of competition between players in a league is inherently flawed. Why? Because your league ranking is completely meaningless. To be promoted, you need to reach 100 league points. 100 league points might give you rank 2 or 20 or (although very unlikely) even 200th in your league. But it doesn't matter what your rank is, you're just trying to get 100 points. So your league ranking is meaningless compared to the number of points you have. You're not competing with other players to be top of the league, you're competing with yourself to get 100 league points.

We came up with the idea of promotional series to give players the feeling of playing in the grand finals of a tournament.

This analogy completely misses the mark, especially in solo queue. In a tournament, you're playing with 4 other players you know and can rely on. The finals is the time to break out your secret strategies that you've developed and play your best as a team. In solo queue, you can play as well as you want, but you're relying heavily on your teamates to not do terribly or even straight up troll you. And remember these teamates aren't necessarily in a promotional series themselves, so they probably won't be trying as hard as you are. And if you get a troll on your team? You can't even dodge or your promotional series ends in failure. So instead of working as a team and doing your best, it gives you the experience of really hoping you don't get a troll on your team to ruin things for you.

Those were all the reasons given for changing the system. Since none of them really hold water, why did they change the system? In my opinion, it was done to make people stop complaining about elo hell. There will no longer be a "starting elo" so there will no longer be the connotation of being "below 1200". Even though your ranking in leagues is in most cases directly correlated to your hidden matchmaking rating, the new term they use for elo, there's no way to see it yourself, so it will be harder to know exactly how well or poorly you are doing.

If they wanted to make a new system to get rid of the notion of "elo hell" it would be nice if they came out and said so. But even if we get rid of the classic "elo hell" thread, I would bet that there will be lots of threads about how people get terrible teamates/trolls every time they play a promotional series and can't progress because of that.

Overall, the new system just seems like a way to hide your actual rating behind a more complicated league system, without actually making any changes to the way players are ranked.

EDIT: If you agree that the logic behind the change is flawed, please bump for more discussion.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

GD moves fast with IPL just over.

Inhibited

02-02-2013

I especially feel a bit reluctant about the system with regards to your last concern. Immediately I thought the same thing. "A tournament feels intense in a Bo[X] situation because you are a team working together as you always have to a great goal." The whole point of solo queue is not being able to excessively rely on your randomly chosen teamates.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chreotha View Post
I especially feel a bit reluctant about the system with regards to your last concern. Immediately I thought the same thing. "A tournament feels intense in a Bo[X] situation because you are a team working together as you always have to a great goal." The whole point of solo queue is not being able to excessively rely on your randomly chosen teamates.
Exactly, in a tournament you win or lose as a team. In solo queue a bad teamate/troll can single handedly cost you the game.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Still don't see what the new system accomplishes.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Last try to revive this.

Fukaro

02-02-2013

@ first arguement. It feels shttier than before. Yea i went up in a division but when i look at the big pciture it isnt sht compared to the old system when i won.

@ second I. Dont. Give. A. Fk

@third. I. Dont. Give. A. Fk. Fk. Tournaments.

AHeroNamedHawke1

02-02-2013

Good points, have a bump.

asdfghjkl 7

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÄHeroNamedHawke View Post
Good points, have a bump.
Thanks

JurisDictum

02-02-2013

Good thread. It's funny I was about to link mine to this. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...spiracy&page=2
My theory is it's a long term strategy to spread the tiers over lower elos than they currently are. You did a really good job explaining the faulty logic behind why Riot ostensibly changed the ranking system.