To gank or not to gank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FallyFiasco

02-02-2013

This has happened to me many times, and I want a second opinion on it. This is the question.

If you know you are not going to get a kill or cause much of a difference in the lane, is it ok to not gank?

I feel like if I keep trying to gank a hopeless lane it screws my level/gold ratio up too much. A prime example of a hopeless gank is a careful Katarina or Zed. Unless they use their utility skills every time they are up, it is very difficult to gank those two champions. I can not afford to sit in the bush to wait it out either. Another example is if bot is heavily warded and the support refuses to buy a pink ward. It takes too long to get all the way down to bot just for the enemy to back off.

I am not trying to just forget about these lanes, I am just saying is it ok to avoid ganking if I know nothing is going to get done.

CTElephant

02-02-2013

I think it is. Though maybe make it less of a priority, not that you should just not push, it is good for your team to push and zone for cs. Only help at your convenience if it is a ****blocked lane.

Masakan

02-02-2013

Sometimes you got to realize when a lane is just a lost cause and try to help the others as best as you can.

Timammoth

02-02-2013

This is the art of jungling. Knowing when to gank and when to not. Im not a great jungler myself. But you might aswell do something else if the gank is always going be a failure. Clearing your jungle, Counter Jungling, Clearing Wards or simply going back to buy. like you say there is no point waiting in a bush to gank when its going to fail anyway. Bot lane is always hard to gank for that exact reason of the bot lane been warded. so try and communicate aswell as u can with your bot lane, to know what is warded and what isn't. Maybe the tri bush is warded but not the river. So you can gank from river. Or maybe you could lane gank. Another tip you could use is by taking note of how many wards the support has when he comes into lane. And when he uses them. After 3mins the ward is gone. This is what sets aside good junglers and great junglers. That extra little bit of awareness. A good Jungler should be able to see all happening and have eyes everywhere. This is what makes jungling probley the hardest and most important role in the game. And if you can jungle well in solo que you can potentially help your laner win there lane. I personally suck at jungling but this is what i have seen in good junglers. And i hear plp yapping on about oddone. And these are some of the traits he has.

Pobbes

02-02-2013

Yes, there is always something else to do, clear your jungle, or invade their jungle. On another note, just because you can't get a kill doesn't mean you can't help a lane. If bot lane knows you are around, that doesn't mean you can't help zone them out of cs. Same thing with a mid lane kat or zed. you may not be able to kill them, but if you can get them to waste summoner spells, it'll help your next gank. If you can hurt them enough to recall, it'll give you an opportunity to knock down their tower or at least give your mid a gold and xp advantage. Lane pressure can be just as effective as a kill when performing a gank.

When, I run Hecarim I tend to rely on this kind of strategy. It is difficult for him to truly execute a kill, but he does excel at harassment. He can dive in, burst, and trade while taking very little damage. His move speed focus helps him get around to other lanes quickly putting pressure on multiple lanes very quickly. The psychological advantage is as useful as the actual advantage. This is the same as with shaco, he's really only effective when the enemy team is afraid he's gonna pop out of nowhere and murder them all over the map because that is what he has been doing the whole game.

Lucroarna

02-03-2013

never listen to your team if any point during the match they tell you to go to 2 lanes at the same time. Use your judgement. People blame junglers for not ganking so they feel better about themselves. They don't see you as help, they see you as a crutch, or a punching bag.

KnightxSScarlett

02-03-2013

Ganks aren't for kills. They're more along the lines of denial. If you can kill the enemy, great. If you can burn a summoner spell but they live, that's okay too. If you can force them to go back, that's also good. If you can force them to play more cautiously, set them back in cs/exp in any way, you should gank. That said, you can't just toss a gank in out of the blue just because. Make sure you have the power to back up your threat.

But you should recognize a lost lane. It's better to just let your friend get stomped and hug his turret than to go in and give up a double kill.