[Hyaozan]Comprehensive Guide For All Players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hyaozan

12-01-2009

A note from the author
Before we begin this guide proper, allow me to reaffirm this thread's title. All that has been included in this work is fully applicable to all levels of gameplay, be you a beginner only recently joining our community and not yet versed in proper game play or a higher tiered player with a string of victories to your name. This guide covers no specific character or element, instead it is a compiled treatise on gameplay and strategy.

[Guide]
PT.1 Character Selection
[In revision after the discovery of a major flaw.]
PT.2 LANES
I apoligize but throughout the course of this guide I will be speaking specifically about Summoner's Rift(The 3 lane map)

Mid
Every game of course begins with players on each team separating into different lanes. Top. Bottom. And of course mid. In common gameplay the usual formation is 2 top, 2 bottom and 1 mid. The reason why mid is a popular solo is due to mid being the least gankable of the three lanes and the shortest retreat to the relative safety of a turret. Albeit, it is also the easiest from which to help gank the other lanes if you are playing it properly.
Most players are rightfully timid about taking this lane solo, while others are foolishly brave about this lane. Let me assure you that mid lane is correctly the lane which requires the most skill to lane in, and before you decide to start your game in the middle lane two factors have to be properly taken into account.
1. Character:
Is it one that is self sufficient and capable of farming many creeps in a sort amount of time?
Can it keep the opposing character harassed and suppressed to stop them from doing the same?
If neccesary can your character easily facilitate their own escape from a life threatening situation?
Are you comfortable with the nuances of your character and does your opponent carry a character that in a even fight will not completely overwhelm you?(A example of a bad pairing is Master Yi vs. Ryze. Both are fairly squishy characters. Master Yi can cause massive attack damage to Ryze when he gets close enough. However Ryze can ensnare and in turn cause massive spell damage to Yi at a distance before that becomes a issue and generally implement Yi's death in a very sort period of time with the combined force of his abilities. Yi has absolutely no counter ability in this situation and most Yi's are built with relatively low spell resistence. Take factors such as this into account when weighing your opponent)
If your character fulfills none of the above conditions it would be in your best interest to lane top or bottom and allow another to lane mid.
2. Skill:
Can you yourself maintain the constant awareness of the other lanes to properly note when other players may come to take you out or when a oppurtunity presents itself for you to do the same?
What level of gameplay does your opponent have? If your unaware then you had better discover quickly and before you've fed them. And if so to initiate a lane change.
Really, just how well will you play when are you alone without any immediate allied support?
Cover these factors and gameply will not be a issue.

When covering midlane your primary concern is three things. Farming creeps, supressing and preventing your opponent from doing the same and when the time is ripe getting into position to help top or bottom.
But before you can do the last you have to commit to the first and second.
Midlane is all about farming creeps early game. You want to lvl as quickly as possible and likewise your opponent will be doing the same so your solution to this problem is to, with all haste chip away at their health bar and force them to retreat allowing you free reign over the creeps to level upon, its best to do this and creep simultaneously leading to Ashe as the popular choice for soloing due to her AOE volley of ice arrows.
I cannot stress this fact enough. Do. Not. Die. Unless of course you are capable of killing your opponent in turn. Fairly quickly. For the moment you die in a solo lane you are at a utter disadvantage in completing the three necesary provisions in your lane and your opponent is suddenly much more capable at completing those same tasks or at pushing your tower whilst you lay dead waiting to respawn. In doing so you've put your teammates in jeapoardy since now a free enemy player is availible to move about and cause similar fates to them in turn. Otherwise, that same player is suddenly capable of causing irrevocable damage to your turret or retreating and taking their new supply of gold to furnish a higher tier item. Upon your return they have the advantage and it is difficult to regain the balance or take the advantage, likewise the more time you spend holding off the opposing solo is less time you are crediting the team with ganks.
Now, since that particular unpleasantness has been covered do try to cause your opponent solo to die as often as possible. For reasons I believe have already been explained.
Top/Bottom
[In progress...]

condon

12-01-2009

Notepad: Learn it, love it. Post on an active forum when you have more than "In Progress" >.>

Hyaozan

12-01-2009

I apoligize greatly I had accidently misselected a key and prematurely posted this thread. I am afraid that it will be posted sectionally here and I shall update as I finish parts. I will accept all and any constructive criticism toward this guide at any time and will happily take and incorporate suggestions.

Strangiato

12-01-2009

Quote:
A example of a bad pairing is Master Yi vs. Ryze.
As it's written, this provides no useful information to the reader. Why is this considered a bad pairing? It's not even clear which of those characters this is a bad matchup for.

Hyaozan

12-01-2009

Indeed. The guide posted as is unable to pass through the spot check by fellow players before posting so do continue to point out my errors.