Flash

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wonder Princess

02-04-2013

I propose a change to Flash, here's why.

Flash is so useful as a summoner spell that it is seldom replaced by another summoner spell. I believe its presence as a free spell is a mistake, but it is so incremented in LoL's gameplay that to remove it could make ravages. It is still kind of ravaging right now, since its crown position among summoner spells ; not to take it is to take a risk... to die of course, but also to lose amounts gold in game that Flash would have allowed.

This is why I propose Flash to be an inherent active ability in first tier Boots (that remains in other tiers), and to remove it from the summoner spells' list. Here are the consequences of this change :

1 : Instead of choosing 1 summoner spell, we could choose two. This decision would bring a lot of fun, and much more thought. Consequently, rarely used summoner spells would be available again ; the risk not to take Flash wouldn't be there anymore.

2 : The cooldown of Flash was increased to lower its domination over other summoner spells. That didn't work, as the mechanic itself is overwhelming. If Flash was an active of Boots, the cooldown could be gradually brought down, lets say to 150 or 120 seconds, after a few weeks of observation.

3 : The change of base movement speed and boots made intended results : boots and 3 pots didn't become the single best choice for starting items. However, now starting with boots is situational to the case where skillshots will have to be dodged in lane. If Flash was attached to Boots, then Boots would become an excellent starting choice again. I can't predict the popularity outcome of this, however I honestly don't think boots would become the single starting choice to make.

4 : Why boots? Because it doesn't sacrifice a slot, as circumstances where its its fine not to buy boots at all are rare.

5 : Right now, distortion enchantment is seldom better than others (furor, homeguard, captain...). If Flash was incremented in boots, the free summoner slot would make Teleport and Ghost more frequent choices, and thus Distortion would more often be a desirable alternative among other boots enchantments.

I think these are all positive points brought by incrementing Flash into Boots. What you think?

phood

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

interesting idea and it has some merit but it has its faults

forces everyone to buy boots first, sucks for anyone who wants to rush one of the <1000 gold items or have more than 1 ward

lowering the cooldown would just make the game more unbalanced: unfortunately many champs are designed with the use of flash as a must

dont want to see stuff like flash galio ult come up more than once every 4 minutes

BoresRaptor

02-04-2013

i think we need new spell

Leaf of the lake

02-04-2013

This would just bring back boots/3pots as the generic start. You may not need the 25 movespeed to escape a gank, but not having flash very well could make the difference.

However, I don't disagree with making flash an inherent ability, like how B takes you back to base. I don't think T is used for anything atm; it could become a dedicated flash button.

Mradr

02-04-2013

I would have to say no for a few reason:
1) By making people take flash, you limit the summer spells so you don't have a team of people just teleporting around the map...

2) By making people take flash, you don't have a team of people smiteing dragons or early baron all day long...

3) Supports don't useally get boots untill mid game... making them super easy targets...
-if they go boots first... they wont have enough money to ward and really be $%#@ over.

4) It wont change summer spells that are already used mostly... Aka, the new chain would simply be Barrier and teleport.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

I don't take Flash for various reasons.
- I never practiced using it outside of Fiddlesticks, so I either tend to **** up escapes or not use it at all.
- I find Exhaust to be hundreds of times more useful as long as I use it properly (which I tend to).
- I tend to play champions with long ranges or high mobility, both of which make Flash pointless.

I see the merit behind Flash, but honestly it has its weaknesses. Ever since way back when they removed its ability to pop projectiles like Fizz and Vlad, I've seen it as balanced, and the nerfs just look silly to me.

Wonder Princess

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleNetPhood View Post
forces everyone to buy boots first, sucks for anyone who wants to rush one of the <1000 gold items or have more than 1 ward
You may be right about the big advantage getting boots would give. Still, currently it is so much advantageous to choose sustain over boots at start (except against some opponents, and even then), that boots might not become a must for beginning.

What about these champs that just farm from tower, like Karthus? Is flash a must in this stage of laning?
What about Flash came with all Tier 2 boots instead of Tier 1? That way beginning with boots would be a step toward rushing Flash, but not a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleNetPhood View Post
lowering the cooldown would just make the game more unbalanced: unfortunately many champs are designed with the use of flash as a must
I recall old Flash not only had shorter CD, but also much longer range. CD was increased because the spell was too much the evident choice over all other spells. Lower CD wouldnt be such a problem.

The main topic is about getting Flash away from summoner spells. To reduce CD would be a possibility from there, not an obligation.

Quote:
However, I don't disagree with making flash an inherent ability, like how B takes you back to base. I don't think T is used for anything atm; it could become a dedicated flash button.
This is also a nice possibility to explore. I still believe it would be more fun to choose Flash at some point than just having it from the start no matter what.

Quote:
Supports don't useally get boots untill mid game... making them super easy targets...
They get boots late because for them, mobility is not a priority. With or without Flash, with Flash included in boots or not, to be a "super easy target" implies wrong positioning.

Quote:
It wont change summer spells that are already used mostly... Aka, the new chain would simply be Barrier and teleport.
Barrier, Teleport, Cleanse, Heal, Clarity are second-choice spells that are rarely chosen above Ignite and Exhaust. To have 2 spells rather than 1 + Flash would allow the use of these spells which are there to be used.

The main idea is to put Flash away from summoner spells, as I believe it is not willed that 1 spell be essential for every champion, and above all, that it would be more fun to choose 2 spells other that Flash without making a dangerous sacrifice.

I aknowledge Ignite and Flash are not conceived to be must-have, as their cooldowns were recently increased to make other choices more appealing. I'm not saying I got a perfect solution, but I believe this is an avenue to explore and discuss. Other alternatives than the one I suggested might be better.

The Lord Impaler

02-04-2013

We don't just have a Flash problem, we have a Flash AND Ignite problem, both of these are squeezing everything else out, together they constitute near 90% of spell picks.

Moving Flash into an item is a good start but should we be asking ourselves if the ability is fundamentally broken first? Flash has universal offensive and defensive usefulness, while other spells require very situational usage (I can only heal if I'm already hurt for example), Flash can be used to escape, to gap-close, to jump over a wall, or to effectively just move faster. Ghost can only do one of these things. Maybe we should be trying to break Flash up into spells that are narrower in scope. Ignite could also get broken up into one or more spells that have narrower effects and require more careful target selection. This would also reward greater team work as a team with a greater diversity of spells would have an advantage at countering different types of champions and rewarded for targeting the right people in a team fight with those spells.

My thoughts on breaking up the two

Ignite
- Throttle: Prevents targeted Champion from regenerating Health or Mana for 20 second, all heal or mana regeneration effects are reduced 75% for the duration. (Shuts down life-steal hard)
- Bleed: Target Champion takes 2% max health in true damage every second over 12 seconds. (Basic DoT)
- Shred: Target Champions Magic Resistance and Armor are reduced 75% for 6 seconds. (Shutdown tanks)
- Execute: Target Champion immediately loses life equal to 2% of max health for ever 10% of max health they are missing.

Flash
- Hide: Your champion becomes invisible for up to 20 seconds but is silenced while invisible and for 2 seconds afterwards, moving will end the invisibility early. (This is intended to be a pure escape mechanism thus the self silencing to make it poor for ambushing)
- Jump: Your champion readies themselves for 0.5 seconds and then jumps into the air (visible to opponents) landing a short distance away. (this is mainly for crossing map obstacles and is a weaker escape then Flash, the range is comparable to Tristana's rocket-jump ability, your direction of travel is obvious so it's not a viable juke escape).
- Boomerang: Cast once to place a marker on the ground which will last for 30 seconds, while the marker is active you may cast again to be rapidly pulled back to that point. (a bit like the Thresh Lantern but personal and much less flexible then Flash, though it can be used offensively or defensively you'll need to have prepared one or the other before hand which may telegraph to your opponents your plan).
- Rapid Recall: Cast to initiate a recall or when already recalling to accelerate recall 300% (1 second total) and prevent recall from being broken by attacks. (a pure escape mechanism piggybacking on recall).

Common Things that should become spells

Fear: 1 second of Fear
Silence: 2 seconds of Silence
Stun: 2 seconds of Stun

Pot-o-Gold: Receive 100 Gold (sooo obvious for supports)

Leaf of the lake

02-04-2013

I don't think any of those choices are really a viable option. Outright removing flash would massively disrupt the game. If "there aren't enough options for summoner skills" is the problem, removing the dominating option is not the way to fix it. Flash has become an integral part of the game; people like it being there and expect it to be there. It's an OP ability in comparison to other summoner skills, but is balanced by the virtue of everyone having access to it. Moving flash to another command removes the constraint on options without axing it entirely, which is important to keeping league feeling like league.

Wonder Princess

02-05-2013

I agree with both of you at some points.

I agree that free Flash is a terrible thing. I feel its like cheating. But I also agree that its so embedded in Lol that we can't just remove it. That's why I believe it should be elsewhere than summoner spells, where it camps a slot.

Ignite is another topic, so I'll retain myself here I'll just say that if Flash was transferred into boots, ignite partially camping a slot wouldn't be a problem. And its way less of a slot camper than flash : I regularly see only 1 or 2 ignites in a whole team.

You suggest to replace Flash with weaker versions of it, I think this a a delightful direction to discuss. However I disagree with some points in them, while I LOVE your Jump alternative :

Hide : no, its another problematic mechanic. Yes Teemo has a more powerful version of it, but if Hide was a summoner spell, it would be available for ALL kits, which would be a terrible problem.

Jump : I love it. Maybe 1 full second charge though. Actually, if flash was transfered to boots AND it had a charge time, it would really be lovely. Really, really lovely

Boomerang : I think the mechanic is as strong as flash, even if the countdown was 5 seconds.

Rapid recall : A 1 second recall as a summoner spell would be nice, but with no possible interruption, it would be too strong. I don't think its a good alternative.

Fear, silence, stun : same objection as Hide : in many kits, it would be overpowered.