Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Strange trend in DominateDominion's entries.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A12MO12

02-04-2013

Lol reading some of this makes me sad. Some people don't realize how much effort some teams took to get the the top spots. Personally for my team, FTV, we started off getting stomped against the top teams like BPB/ +5/ PECS.

At first we just wanted to get into top 4 just to get rp and we didn't plan strategy or practice as a team or anything. We were made up of solo queue players who got together on the weekend for tournies.

After a few tournies (we entered at around DD 9 or something I can't remember) we set our sights higher. We had the talent to do better but we were lacking on the strategy/theory crafting side needed to improve. We practiced different champs out and actually started doing premades in blindpick but usually chose champs that often don't get banned to see how they work in an organized team.

The difference we saw was pretty clear since we started to lose by less and less vs the top teams and even scored a few wins on the way to semi-finals. We kept on trying to improve, we would watch the replays after and discuss mistakes that we made and how we could improve. We also started to pay attention to the other teams common picks and tried to get to know what champs they liked playing.

This went on to around DD 22 or 23 i think when we went on hiatus for awhile but then came back with a new line up. We kept strategizing, practicing different champs and paying attention to champion picks. Now we seem to be getting to the finals consistently and are slowly getting to better understand how PECs like to play and the champs they pick and how to deal with them accordingly. We have scored wins against PECs before and I feel like we are getting to the point where we will be capable of winning.

On another note very crucial part of this is team synergy. We went through quite a few members before we found good synergy. It's not easy to kick people from the team but it is necessary for the good of the team, and guess who has to tell the person? The captain of course. So just a message for the captains of teams, you have to act impartial, you must not let feelings get in the way. You have to be willing to be "that guy" if a member is really bringing your team down. Now i'm not saying to be a dictator but more of a judge. I discuss things with my team and bring forth all the facts to the member that is potentially getting kicked out. I hear them out, and once I have all the facts make a decision based on the pros and cons of the given situation. All in all it's not easy to be the one in charge so choosing someone who is capable of making these decisions and also has the respect/trust of his team is crucial in having a good team.

In conclusion through hard work, perseverance and teamwork we got to the point we are at. You can't expect new teams to reach the same level as us in a short time, they have to work at it, take every defeat as a lesson on what you can improve, always try and see if some player on the winning team would give some advise, just constantly try and improve your play.

HaIfhearted

02-04-2013

Quote:
wolferer:
Could give byes to the top 2 or 4 teams. This way new teams get to play someone a little easier first, and the time commitment for the top teams doesn't increase.

Or you could have consolation matches for the losers.

The top teams often get byes for the first round if there aren't enough teams to have a full round 1 bracket.

Cauldrath

02-04-2013

What if the top-most teams got even more byes, though? The top team byed to the finals, the #2 to the semis, 3 and 4 to the (EDIT: semi-)semi-semi finals. That way you avoid the problem of top teams eliminating each other early and the problem of new teams immediately facing top teams. Yes, it does make it harder for new teams to win the entire tournament, but I don't think a lot of them go in with that expectation.

EvilPooters

02-04-2013

Quote:
Volandum:

davyo, look at http://competitive.na.leagueoflegends.com/prized-event-faq

Awesome thanks a lot.

Volandum

02-04-2013

Cauldrath, the tournament you propose would only have room for 4 teams. Draw a diagram and you'll see.

Cauldrath

02-04-2013

Quote:
Volandum:
Cauldrath, the tournament you propose would only have room for 4 teams. Draw a diagram and you'll see.

Sorry, add one more "semi-" for teams 3 and 4:

Team 5 and 6 play, winner plays seed 3
Team 7 and 8 play, winner plays seed 4

The two teams left play each other, then the winner plays seed 2, then the winner plays seed 1.

Can be altered to have any number of teams by splitting non-seeded teams in half, have them play until there is only one non-seeded team left in each half, have one play seed 3 and the other play seed 4, then continue on as above.

The other downside is that this setup increases the number of consecutive games by 2 over a normal tournament structure, but the actual number of games would be the same. 5 consecutive games and 7 (2+2+1+1+1) total games vs 3 consecutive and 7 (4+2+1) total for an 8-team tournament. So it should be logistically simpler for the first round, but take more total time.

Enjoy the attached diagram.

kirillian

02-05-2013

Actually...what about scrimming? Perhaps the real issue is that there are not enough scrims going on between the lower tier of teams? I know that personally, because I have remained silent for months and wasn't even playing for 6months a while back, I don't have the relationships with the other team captains that some others do. Perhaps we could better facilitate this through organizing more scrims between teams? I'll make another thread for discussion on this topic in particular, but this is a hard problem to solve...please keep thinking up ideas...

CallMeTaste

02-05-2013

Quote:
kirillian:
Actually...what about scrimming? Perhaps the real issue is that there are not enough scrims going on between the lower tier of teams? I know that personally, because I have remained silent for months and wasn't even playing for 6months a while back, I don't have the relationships with the other team captains that some others do. Perhaps we could better facilitate this through organizing more scrims between teams? I'll make another thread for discussion on this topic in particular, but this is a hard problem to solve...please keep thinking up ideas...

Sorry, I accidently down voted you.

Yes, a major problem is that us lower teams don't have quite enough experience to play against the likes of PECs. The overall state of Dom balance being so ****ty doesn't help. There's no ranked to see if you're improving. There is little lenience for mistakes in the tourney (Bo1). There is literally nothing going for new teams other than having a few good laughs at their expense.

If there are any teams out there that want to scrim, add and msg callmetaste or kyro291.