Strange trend in DominateDominion's entries.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Genericke

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
I'd love to join but I work Saturdays and don't have a team.

(Also I'd get eliminated in the first round so not a huge deal that I can't make it. xP )
I'm just busy socializing Fridays.

Malah

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Oh, there are more than enough players floating around solo queue to make 2-3 teams that can compete with the best. They're just... lazy? Uninformed?
Apathy. The incentive's not worth the effort.

It's rather dickish to assume that just because people are lazy or ignorant just because they're not interested in tournament play.

inFe eD

02-02-2013

Hey, I file apathy under laziness.

Divinenite

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuri Ono View Post
I'll just go ahead and preface this by saying there is every chance I may just be overlooking something and/or haven't looked in the right places.

But I've noticed something odd about who actually gets to play in the DD tournaments. It's either all the 'old crowd' (people who've played this mode forever and a day) or people Dom's advertizing has baited over from SR, the 'rookie' (people with little to no Dom experience) SR teams who always get face stomped.

So...why are there no 'new Dom-rookie' teams? (Comprised entirely of people with light to moderate Dominion-centric experience; no 'It's a new team formed by 2-3 of the old guard who got bored/split from their old teams'.)

DD's team finding forum is pretty much outright dead. No one ever answers the 'Looking For Teams' posts. The 'Recruitment Center' is full of dead topics only bumped by people who apply not realizing the original post is several months out-dated. Pretty much there is no fresh 'Dominion-oriented' blood being pulled in.

To embellish an outsider's perspective it almost makes the tournament look a bit jokey. You have the same best-of-best teams pretty much trading the 'winner' slot between a small group of 3-4 over and over (I know the players try their best and love the mode but as a spectator DD is indeed quite stagnant and predictable at the moment); with the 'outsiders' being invited in almost as a cruel joke. I know it's not likely intended; but here's what it sorta looks like: "Here you go folks; let's take these swordsmen, who have no experience using polearms, and let them fight lions with spears! Oooh~ look at that arm being ripped off!"

In truth it's almost like the Mid-ELO Dom community is either too scared (after watching the SR teams made an example of) or too apathetic (not motivated by RP prizes, ect.) to want to participate. Personally I'd like to see this fixed. We need more Dom-oriented names. We need more rookie-teams (more than one or two every 2-3 months acting as the 'exception' rather than the 'rule) that we know aren't automatically going to be shark chum the moment they jump into the pool.

Maybe even in a more extreme measure I think it's time DD needed to grow outwards and split itself into separate, tiered tournaments. For now just two, which for lack of better terms we'll just call 'Rookie' and 'Pro'. Rookie being exclusive only to players who've never won a DD more than twice; Pro requiring a minimum of three wins in the Rookie circuit to move up. Just as a very rough outline suggestion mind you.

So; thoughts? Am I missing these teams entering in somewhere? (And if so where are these buggers hiding? They don't post here. They don't post in DD.)

We need a DD tournament, every other week, for rookie teams only. I've been in the DD crew for a short time, but it does get old seeing the same teams up there. This sadly more of a issue with dominion's popularity then it is the tournement.

(Random thought while typing)
What if we had a qualifier one week, for DD tourny the next week. The top 4-5 teams would not participate in the qualifier. The top, idk, 10 teams make it to the main tourney. Also to keep the incentive to try in there, a small prize could be presented to the team that wins the qualifier tourney... This would allow the newer teams to fight newer teams in a miny tourney/qualifier for the main DD tourney as well as present a small award, while keeping the main DD tourney.

DSpyder

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinenite View Post
We need a DD tournament, every other week, for rookie teams only. I've been in the DD crew for a short time, but it does get old seeing the same teams up there. This sadly more of a issue with dominion's popularity then it is the tournement.

(Random thought while typing)
What if we had a qualifier one week, for DD tourny the next week. The top 4-5 teams would not participate in the qualifier. The top, idk, 10 teams make it to the main tourney. Also to keep the incentive to try in there, a small prize could be presented to the team that wins the qualifier tourney... This would allow the newer teams to fight newer teams in a miny tourney/qualifier for the main DD tourney as well as present a small award, while keeping the main DD tourney.
Not a bad idea. You'll still run into the same issue though. With the NFL style matching you will still have newer teams facing the top teams. At least it would giving the rookies a sense of some sort of accomplishment though.

Divinenite

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpyder View Post
Not a bad idea. You'll still run into the same issue though. With the NFL style matching you will still have newer teams facing the top teams. At least it would giving the rookies a sense of some sort of accomplishment though.

The main thing is that this qualifier gives the new or rookie teams a chance at a price, w/o dealing with the top teams

NamKim

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkillar View Post
so the solution isn't to have competition to aspire too; it's to get rid of all of the competition and make dd tourneys the equivalent to a little league baseball game. Sounds legit.
Painkillar pretty much sums up my thoughts. Which is nice since I can avoid making one of my overly lost posts.

Can you just imagine what those guys from SR who insult Dominion daily are thinking right now? They're thinking "Look at these guys. They play Dominion because they're not good enough for Summoner's Rift. Now they want to get rid of the somewhat decent players who play Dom so the terribad players can win. What a joke community."

Can you imagine what those who already have a low opinion of Dominion are thinking right now? They're thinking "the very people who are fighting for Ranked Dominion are complaining the competition in one tournament is too tough."

Can you imagine what those who was indifferent about Dominion are thinking? "There's no reason for me to play a map where even their own community doesn't care for competition. They want to eliminate their best players just to increase their own chances of winning. I'm a frickin gamer, I go against the best of the best and make them cry like little babies."

Can you imagine someone on GD making a thread going "Team Solo Mid, Dignitas, and CLG Prime should retire. They need to make way for new teams."

The attitude that I am seeing in this thread is nothing short of slapping the face of Dominion. If people don't want to join the tournament for whatever reason, it's their choice. Some people are busy and others enjoy watching the tournament rather than playing in it. But don't scapegoat the players who are pretty much keeping competitive Dominion alive, and by extension keeping Dominion alive.

lbgsloan

02-02-2013

Basically my exact experience with the tournaments. Played in two, we got thrown against a top team round 1 both times, five minute curbstomps ensue. It's not just a skill gap, it's a teamwork gap as well. The vets have months of tournament experience playing together, and just as five random high elo SR players couldn't hope to beat CLG or such; a group of random Dominion players making a team couldn't hope to beat Pecs. A new team has a long way to go to catch up to that level, and the payoff of $10 in RP of whatever it is doesn't seem worth the trouble. Perhaps if Dominion were recognized by the whole LoL community as a serious competitive gamemode, there would be more incentive to try to become a pro and tournament entries would be more common. But in its current level of support, what am becoming a pro of exactly? A dying, unsupported game mode that doesn't even have a ranked queue after a full year? FFS most people outside of the Dominion community actually get angry when it's mentioned, thinking it was a waste of resources Riot could have spent elsewhere. Most of them would rather see an ARAM queue and have them just pull the plug on Dominion and TT.

So no I don't think the problem is so much the DD tournaments, the problem is the playerbase is just too small and Riot has literally done nothing in regards to 'growing the playerbase' that they say is cutting off incentive to create a ranked queue. It was nice to see Nome give at least a little attention to the mode, but with S3 now live I highly suspect Riot is going to pull all support for Dominion, again, and probably TT again. The community tried, it really did. But it's out of our hands at this point, and I think most have just given up on getting real support from Riot.

DSpyder

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinenite View Post
The main thing is that this qualifier gives the new or rookie teams a chance at a price, w/o dealing with the top teams
What's the price though?

Maybe a side/second tourney would work.

Malah

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Hey, I file apathy under laziness.
I don't play SR Ranked because I don't want to, not because I'm too lazy to deal with two minutes of lobby time.

Inaction because something is uninteresting and lacks a sufficient reward offered to compensate for that is different from inaction because it would take too much effort regardless of reward.