Screen flashes black after patch feb 1 2013

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CptKink

02-05-2013

Update : I've played 4 bot games so far and only 1 flicker happened and it was in first game. What I changed :

-I installed the latest nvidia drivers
-custom install
-checked the option "Clean Install"
-unchecked everything except "Graphics Drivers"
-rebooted my computer

Last night in my bot game for my first win of the day, I had a small graphic lag once but without flickers. Lasted a lot less longer than when I had flickers. Still annoying but better. Like Muranodo said, it might be because I am in a bot game and not seeing much action. Would be nice if someone could test what I tried in real games. Otherwise I might have time for a real game tonight to test it out.

Thanks,

-Kink

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Another consideration while you're strapped for time is to do a bot dominion game. There's a bit more 'forced' team fights due to how small the map is and just how players basically roll all over the bots for the most part. I noticed a lot more flickers/freeze-ups playing Malzahar in that mode yesterday.

CptKink

02-05-2013

Ok np, tonight I'll play my bot game with Malzahar in dominion :P

-Kink

SnappleJuice

02-05-2013

Had the same issue here - still have it but it is a little better finally but still broken so its definitely the LOL game code.

Patch seemed to cause it to flick the screen as if it were going to windowed mode and back to full screen or something odd all by itself in mid game. The freezes would always seem to happen and the most inopportune times like mid fight and then you are dead of course - on some rare instances of this bug it would after the freeze frame resume with you looking at a different part of the map and all you can see is your green health bar going down.

Here was what I tried initially - update antivirus - full scan - defrag drives - turn off all other programs during play - even tried increasing priority to above normal on all legends processes (seems like there were three of them) - uninstall wipe full League reinstall plus patch took like an hour - all windows patches - reboot few more times then again - complain to internet provider that my 16 Mbps was only between 7-10 Mbps (its faster now) reboot router - reboot modem - reboot PC three more times.

What finally has helped a bunch seems to be upgrading from Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate to Widnows 7 64 bit Professional. I did still see the screen do a flicker once but it was so fast it didn't affect my gameplay. So IS there a new bug since Feb patches that is causing the screen to flick/freeze YES. Can it be worked around. Barely with a LOT of expertise and effort it appears that it can be. WILL all of the players be willing to go to this much trouble to fix a single game. I doubt many will.

I also have a GeF 8800 GTS - system is fast and solid quad core - cable internet - direct cat5+ ethernet (not wireless) connected - IT Pro expertise level is high.

Just had it glitch like a whole series of glitches again like worse than ever - screen flickering over and over and then corrupt icons afterward. The game code is actually overrunning some memory it shouldn't or something.

PLEASE ROLL THE CODE BACK and maybe hire a real programmer.... I'm just saying you know its what you need - why pretend you don't need a new one and fire someone or something - really.

Itaros

02-05-2013

After a few days of more playing I have noticed that my screen goes black and I get tearing and a few seconds of freeze when someone dies. Not always the first blood and I am not always involved in the event but for me it seems related to the event of something dying, Whether it is a sound issue, or a graphical announcement issue I have no clue.

Whats more is that this freeze is now followed by a heavy FPS drop for sometimes a few min to sometimes 10+ min. I go from basically stable 60+ fps to ~20.

Leonixxiii

02-05-2013

Bump

CptKink

02-05-2013

I just played my bot game in dominion as malzahar as requested. No flickers, not even graphical lag.
Victory Screen

So please, do try out what I did... see if it helps you too.

1. Start latest Nvidia drivers setup
2. Choose Custom Install
3. Check the option "Clean Install"
4. Only install "Graphics Drivers", uncheck everything else.
5. Reboot computer.

Let me know if that helps you guys too or if I'm just lucky nowadays... but so far since I've done that...
1st bot game : 1 flicker with black screen and everything. Lasted a good 2 secs till I alt tabbed back in to get rid of it.
2nd bot game : nothing
3rd bot game : nothing
4th bot game : game lagged once for ~0.5-1sec i.e. nothing moved for that duration then people teleported to their right spot but no flickers or anything.
5th bot game tonight in dominion : nothing at all.

Before? 3 to 12 flickers per game, black screen and everything, sometimes needed to alt-tab back in to get rid of it.

-Kink

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

I'm personally thinking that it's just luck. I've done similar processes when Guild Wars 2 / other games were in beta and had coding issues that would cause freezes/blue screens of death. I won't discount it; I don't like continually wiping over drivers unnecessarily. Since all you're disabling, really, is 3D support and Nvidia's update program.

Edit: I also had no issue in my bot game with Ryze right now (without the above fixes). Haven't had a chance to try PvP; I likely won't until the weekend.

CptKink

02-05-2013

Yep, false alarm... was feeling confident after like 4-5 bot games that I was holding something. Played 2 ranked and got the same flickers again although a bit less often I should say but prolly luck...

I is a sad panda.

-Kink

Gwydiian

02-05-2013

Hi! I've been running LoL at full settings on my native resolution 1400x900 with max framerate, but this latest patch has seemed to cause a problem.

During gameplay, when certain hero abilities are used or effects displayed, my graphics driver is failing, causing the screen to flicker black and in one instance, completely freezing my system.

Once again, this has only started to happen since the latest patch.

I have tried rolling back my video drivers, installing the newest beta drivers, repatching lol, reinstalling lol, repairing lol. turning my settings down, playing on a lower resolution, playing windowed. Nothing seems to be helping.

Attached is my dxdiag and latest 3 game logs.Attachment 606745

Attachment 606746

Attachment 606747

Attachment 606749