Screen flashes black after patch feb 1 2013

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

I've had the 310.90 since long before the patch, so it's not the issue.

I can also confirm the Pando Media Booster has nothing to do with it. I just played a normal PvP SR match on Corki to test it. It was pretty much gone during the lane phase besides one flicker; it got to teamfights; it went horribly.

Ally team was Maokai, Corki, Lulu, Annie, Riven

Enemy team was Diana, Trundle, Vi, Ashe, Sona.

The really game breaking... slideshow, screen goes black and I only see my cursor... happened during the full team fights and mostly once all the enemy abilities were going off since they had more pop (Sona's ult/Ashe's W/Trundle's AoE, Diana's Q/ultimate, Vi's ultimate, etc). This happened about four times.

I don't think it's a specific champion; it might have to do with some ability code changes, feasibly. But it's something to compare.

For those saying it doesn't occur in bot matches, I believe it's far less noticeable in bot matches because the skirmishes are usually more one-sided if you're a more seasoned player. But when you're more heavily assaulted, I got the exact same such as with me playing Thresh with a first-time Tristana who kind of just jumped in with her W to the enemy team. That was the beginner match I reported last night.

So it's pretty much unplayable. I'll do win of the day until I hear different on bots; it's pretty much ruined for me.

Edit:

Seems to be a continuation of this thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...007656&page=51

But the patch has apparently affected more GPU now. There's some talk of beta drivers fixing it for some AMD users in the other thread.

So did anyone try the 313.96 beta drivers for Nvidia? You can see it via Nvidia Geforce Experience if you check the include beta drivers in updates / go to the website and use the beta driver search. I'm downloading it right now to check...

I'll give it a PvP match after that as a test drive.

CptKink

02-03-2013

I did the 310.90 driver install again but this time I made a clean install and only installed the graphics driver. It removed

3D Vision Controller Driver
3D Vision Driver
NVIDIA Update

but kept the physx driver from old install for some reason. Gave a bot game a try and it happened again but only once... might've been due to lesser skirmishes like you said. I alt-tabbed back in when it happened cause it was during 2-3 secs. Not sure if it would've stabilized if I stayed in game, was going for a kill so I didn't think about it :P

-Kink

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

I decided against updating to the beta drivers after looking at the patch notes (I went to take a shower while it was downloading). It doesn't look like it'd have any effect. I left a tweet at Riot Dannamoth about the matter since he replied in the January 17th thread. So maybe he'll look into it on Monday.

Feel free to go with the beta driver if you think it'll happen; I didn't want to stew the data with a false positive like my thought on uninstalling Pando Media Booster.

Count Grignak

02-03-2013

Another GeForce 8800 GTS user here. Also updated to the 310.90 drivers with no luck. It definitely seems to be worse when action is going on, but will sometimes randomly do it while running around the map after backing or something. It seems to start off with flashing for a few seconds, but eventually will go black/flash for a good, long while and then stop for a bit (if I'm lucky, the rest of the game). Very odd.

Muertismo

02-03-2013

the 313.96 beta drivers seemed to help. played 1 game without issue so far.

Muranodo

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muertismo View Post
the 313.96 beta drivers seemed to help. played 1 game without issue so far.
Can you mention if this was done in a bot match? Or a custom? or PvP?

I played a custom bot match last night to test it with Katarina; I never had any issues even with team fights involved.

Guess, I'll install it and give it a go to add to the testing. But the above would still be helpful. I'll report in.

sleepisdeath

02-03-2013

Geforce 8800 GTS here too.

Muranodo

02-03-2013

Just played a game after installing the beta drivers. It hasn't improved. Did another SR draft PvP with Corki.

There was some other bizarre interactions as well now. If Kog'Maw ulted at the same time as me, the screen filled up with valkyrie particles for a second making it look like the old SNES graphics for a town being razed to the ground or the like.

Then the screen flashing / freeze-up started again.

First was a random flicker after the bizarre interaction in lane.

Next were, well, the team fight ones.

CptKink

02-03-2013

Damn... was about to install the beta drivers but decided to see if anyone found something in here first... guess I won't bother trying those... I don't understand why it's taking them so long to find the problem. They must be using some kind of revision control system right? It's easy to see what code changed from one patch to another. Anyway, not going to tell them how to do their job, I just feel let down :/

-Kink

Muranodo

02-03-2013

It is the weekend yet, so they are mostly at home/life and what not.

If we don't hear anything on Monday, yeah... I'm going to be let down.

I assume we're "low" impact since we're just a set generation of cards like the AMD ones. So we'll have to wait for QA fixes. Not sure what their process is there; we may be waiting for quite a bit. Reminds me of the 1000 RP debacle =/