Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeroFreakReth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Zileas is there a possibility you guys can work together with a university?

K G Morder

02-08-2013

Question, is it possible to go from intern and get hired as a full time employee or something like that? Or like therefore have a better chance of getting hired as a full time employee since I have a Riot Internship in my background?

Might sound like a silly question, but I've known places where internships were guaranteed NOT to hire you, and they serve as really only experience for a resume and something to do during the summer.

Eserine

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku Br SSj4 View Post
keep thinking that. You're only "telling" (re: spamming) your ideas to people for the sake of garnering attention.

My claim is evidenced by the fact that the majority of your thread containing zero substance whatsoever is mainly you putting more pretentious posts up over and over again.

You can continue to feign intellectual superiority, but you're nothing more than an angry person with a keyboard and an apparent vendetta.

2/10 for making me respond to your post.
My thread is pretentious and insubstantial as demonstrated by the evidence of you repeatedly stating that it is pretentious and insubstantial? By that logic if I denounce your objections to my thread as pretentious and unsubstantial (repeatedly) then I can defeat your objections without ever having to take the time to understand them, after which you can then claim that my denouncements to your objections are pretentious and unsubstantial, after which I can claim that your new objections to my new objections are pretentious and unsubstantial. This is not a very intelligent argument strategy (although this is not to say that you are not an intelligent person who simply needs to find better grounds for disputing my positions if it is your wish to defend Zileas or Riot).

Let us examine your claims with actual citations instead of name-calling:

1. I am pretentious

Instead of relying on any claim or title, I wrote that I wanted the Riot executives to decide on these matters for themselves:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserine View Post
The expertise I instead rely on is the past experiences of the leaders of Riot as they read my arguments, if what I have written matches their memories and ideas and goals then I do not need to lean on a self-important title to put forward my reasoning as anything more than a customer of theirs.
I invited all players to submit their ideas for improving the game, instead of suggesting that I was the only one who could give good suggestions:

Quote:
There is, but if you have a specific change that YOU would particularly like to see implemented during season three this thread is open to anyone who has a suggestion of any sort, and I would be glad to talk about your ideas (if no one else does) at some point in the coming days as I check back on the thread.
and when a player wrote in to say that my writing style was annoying to read I apologized, explained that I was trying to convey my ideas clearly, and related to the point that the player was making:

Quote:
Sorry that I seem like a pompous dick. When writing on the forums I actually go to great trouble to use much simpler words and turns of phrase than I normally would use, so I am glad you were able to understand what I was trying to get across. I feel the same annoyance with reporters or thinkers who write their articles or internet essays partially in French or German without having any special idea to require doing that (even though I can speak those and other languages).
I don't see how (if you actual read any of these posts) you concluded that I hold myself above other players.

2. I am only linking to the feedback thread constantly for attention

Successful, highly upvoted threads in the forums (the thread proposing Bunnygirl Riven for instance) have original posters who to write variants of the word "Bump" in them every ten or fifteen minutes to make the thread reappear on the front page of GD.

I did not do that with my thread, although I noted within it that I easily could have if I wanted hundreds of thousands of forum readers:

Quote:
(bumping every hour, instead of once or twice a day like this thread)
On the other hand, I continuously sought to give the Riot members I was discussing problems about the opportunity to privately or publicly counter my discussion from the very beginning of my thread, as I was attempting here, as well as to warn Zileas or the rest of Riot of my plans in response to the lack of action of their company in not listening to their players, to give them a fighting chance and the ability to assume responsibility for their fate instead of simply scientifically back-stabbing them with my free supercomputer access, years of higher education, and an "out-of-nowhere" grievance list.

3. My points are frivolous and insubstantial

I linked to a number of threads demonstrating that concerned players were often writing in to complain about the poor quality of the lore and lore rewrites only to be ignored by the writers, the poor quality of racial representation within a game whose premise calls for greater racial representation, and anger over Riot's continual permissive attitude of prejudice, harassment, and hate speech within the community. I also challenge readers to search GD for themselves to see such threads (although these discussions are certainly replicated constantly in secondary locations like the Player Concepts or Lore forums).

Where are your threads demonstrating the opposite of these ideas, that players do not write-in frequently on such topics? Calling me pretentious once again certainly isn't going to demonstrate that you possess such evidence.

Further than this, I directly express disapproval (or expostulate, one of the very many words I have chosen not to use here) with specific examples of Riot's dysfunction when challenged to do so by players responding in the thread, let us use a new example I have not yet mentioned before as a means of demonstration:

A. In Vi's background story the writers mention that she has a superhuman mechanical ability to fashion weaponry and useful tools out of magical mining equipment in extremely short time-periods.

B. The Dominion map is filled with magical mining equipment Vi could easily use (in vital defense of the national interests of Piltover) to equipt herself or teammates to better fight the enemy team, where a number of heroes such as Jarvan IV, Nami, and Janna already use aspects of the game-map to attack other champions, and champions such as Ezreal or Lux or Victor or Brand are still allowed to shoot armor-melting energy blasts through the machinery without anyone stopping them.

This is "bad lore", it actively and toxically contradicts player understanding of the gameworld and the character without any reasonable form of explanation open for players to justify the discrepancy. Do you have a counter to this claim if it isn't frivolous for me to suggest such things?

Likewise I oppose the common and stupid arguments people put against implementing any characters with darker skin, etc. and I welcome any rationale you have to put against these points since I strongly believe that such arguments do not exist.

4. Conclusion

Your repeated use of the word "vendetta" reminds me of a movie associated with certain internet groups not well-known for their honesty or forthcomingness, but I am willing to continue speaking about this with you if you actually care about this game or its effects upon the people who play it, instead of simply wishing to vent your frustrations against people who write long posts.

I am not "making you" respond to me or read this response however, you are free to move on with your life and pretend you never saw my thread if you would rather spend your time elsewhere. The decision is completely yours.

Grognak The Barb

02-08-2013

^ Someone must be mad to post a wall of text responding to a guy with Goku Br in his name

Eserine

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognak The Barb View Post
^ Someone must be mad to post a wall of text responding to a guy with Goku Br in his name
What better smurf-name for Zileas?

Grognak The Barb

02-08-2013

Quote:
What better smurf-name for Zileas?
that seems like a dubious prospect

Eserine

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognak The Barb View Post
that seems like a dubious prospect
Indeed, but worth entertaining as a possibility. Elsewise Goku Br SSj4 may eventually speak out on these concerns as some of my other past opponents as players now do after more closely examining the issues, and may get through to the designers somehow one day whereas I have constantly failed to do so.

atheimetal

02-08-2013

I sent in a resume and cover letter. I would love to do something community/support based, although I am sure sifting through the 1000s of daily applications is tedious. But it would certainly be a job that I'd be pumped to do every day.

K G Morder

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by K G Morder View Post
Question, is it possible to go from intern and get hired as a full time employee or something like that? Or like therefore have a better chance of getting hired as a full time employee since I have a Riot Internship in my background?

Might sound like a silly question, but I've known places where internships were guaranteed NOT to hire you, and they serve as really only experience for a resume and something to do during the summer.
Gonna bump this, and add the assumption that I am a College student in the last or second to last year of his College, since that would be a more likely a scenario for me to even consider applying.

Riot Wittrock

QA Analyst

02-11-2013

Question of curiosity, although I reckon I already know the answer. On the game design internship application it asks for your summoner name and highest ELO. I've already submitted my application, but since doing so I've seen a large gain in the ranking system. I'm assuming since they have my summoner name, they'll be checking for this?