Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CawkBeefSandwich

02-06-2013

You guys hiring QA?

Eserine

02-06-2013

Dear Zileas,

If you are still following this thread I wanted to make you aware of the criticism directed at Riot (and you particularly in several later linked discussions) from a compendium of pre-season feedback (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2813286) that I hosted, in case you were busy getting married, etc. and missed the discussions by players directed at Riot's creative direction or behaviors addressed to the executives in your disadvantage. I apologize for it being rather long and heavily-detailed. As I know that you have difficulty understanding when people are being serious or simply attempting to "pull your leg", I want to assure you that I am not joking about any of the subjects covered in conversation.

To give a short update on matters since the thread ended, I was dismayed to learn that I may have inadvertently given (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=34241542&highlight=#post34241542) developers a useful (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=34280871#34280871) solution (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=34325757#34325757) for ranked play that I felt was a completely obvious adaptation to make which Riot would have already begun to work on, so I have decided to channel the compulsive problem-solving habit I seem to hold to resurrect what I see as the most powerful suggestion from the discarded list I prepared for Riot mentioned within the feedback thread I linked to, an as yet undiscovered (or published) set of improvements and advances to maximal information-based nonparametric exploration analysis (relating to variances of the maximal information coefficient and the "Big Data" analysis tools you are developing for less-gifted content creators). After watching Riot pardon, condone, and even implement acts of bigotry and prejudice in the last year I have decided to give an extended, "3rd grade level" walkthrough of this entire system to the first game company in the coming years I feel has the potential to overtake League of Legends, stored within one of my multiple (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006082) computers (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005097) that has never touched any aspect of your software or localization tools for spyware uploads. Therefore best of luck with your "not hiring yes men" and "holding people accountable to produce great results", for various reasons you will probably need it.

Very sincerely,

Eserine

PS. Coincidentally the podcast I mentioned in the first post of my feedback thread just featured a story from the successful author of the Half-life series and Dota2, I thought you may enjoy listening to it (http://pseudopod.org/2013/02/01/pseudopod-319-cell-call/) while scanning the Twitter feeds of the Riot lore writers as they give gushing reviews of "Twilight: Breaking Dawn" and a number of terribly-written television shows and videogames:

https://twitter.com/truffle/status/293366344718630914
https://twitter.com/RiotHarrow/status/298156310183165952
https://twitter.com/HurricaneRunaan/status/288873447696781313

I have also informed them on Twitter that I am calling once again for their removal in this post to give them a fair opportunity to defend themselves, to whatever degree that is possible.

Requizen

02-06-2013

Zileas,

As a 2 years prior CS graduate, I find myself in the strange position where I don't qualify for many jobs, but am not a current student. I'm currently applying for Associate level positions, but is it also feasible for someone like me to apply for an internship level position with the possibility that it turns into something more full time if I'm a good fit?

Uuni

02-06-2013

18 yrs old, from another continent (europe), no significant achievements so far in games in general (aside from higher than average pentakill rate). Dream job of mine would be in some sort of design department for a game like league of legends, I feel like I have a lot to share with the community of this game, that's why I made account for NA forums in the first place. It feels so distant of a dream. I imagine there would be hundreds of people more qualified than me applying for these places, especially in the Dublin office which seems to seek mostly high-end staff for anything but design

What advise would you give for a young lad in the europe with no prior experience in the games industry and no opportunities to study anything game design related?

PS. +2600 games played and I can tell you that the worst skill in game (as you ask from the interns) is Paragon of Demacia (the stacking armor&ad passive on poppy). It's just a flat stat boost that tries to cover up the shortcomings of the champion in a very clunky and unfitting way. She can't catch people? Let's give her 25% movespeed boost. She dies to anyone with ranged autoattacks? Let's give her armor passive. She is an assassin without enough damage? Let's give her free attack damage. Very little fun to play against or play with. More often than not you either don't need the full stacks right away of the movespeed, you just hit the button for the general usefulness in any situation. You can't even counterplay it by preserving the stacks because she can get them instantly to max~

PPS. Turned into a rant, this wasn't very well thought out question at all, sorry! ^^

Goku Br SSj4

02-07-2013

Quote:
Eserine:
Dear Zileas,

blah blah blah I suck

Get over yourself

Your verbosity is unneeded and further adds to the unappealing nature of your already dilapidated post containing maybe a drop of useful information amongst a sea of utter bull **** and pretentiousness.

From what I can tell, you obviously have a vendetta against this company for reasons unbeknownst to me. Giving someone criticism about their work is understandable. But asking them to be fired because they thought the authorship of the word "factpocalypse" was amusing? Maybe the hired kitae over you? I'm not sure of the circumstances, but it's 100 percent obvious that this isn't fueled by your "best interests for this company"

Oh man.

And your point about racism?

You're grasping at straws AT BEST.

And I stopped reading after your third point about runeterra being a neo nazi paradise.

Posting their twitters in order to try to generate animosity towards them?

I really really really hope that I'm getting trolled hard right now. In fact, this may be the best trolling that I've ever been through. Because in all honesty, If you were even remotely serious about the points you made in your diatribe against riot and it's employees, then you must live a sad life indeed.

Eserine

02-07-2013

Quote:
Goku Br SSj4:
Get over yourself

Your verbosity is unneeded and further adds to the unappealing nature of your already dilapidated post containing maybe a drop of useful information amongst a sea of utter bull **** and pretentiousness.

From what I can tell, you obviously have a vendetta against this company for reasons unbeknownst to me. Giving someone criticism about their work is understandable. But asking them to be fired because they thought the authorship of the word "factpocalypse" was amusing? Maybe the hired kitae over you? I'm not sure of the circumstances, but it's 100 percent obvious that this isn't fueled by your "best interests for this company"

Oh man.

And your point about racism?

You're grasping at straws AT BEST.

And I stopped reading after your third point about runeterra being a neo nazi paradise.

Posting their twitters in order to try to generate animosity towards them?

I really really really hope that I'm getting trolled hard right now. In fact, this may be the best trolling that I've ever been through. Because in all honesty, If you were even remotely serious about the points you made in your diatribe against riot and it's employees, then you must live a sad life indeed.

As you seem to be one of the many writers on the internet who posts their opinions about subjects without actually bothering to read the piece they are commenting on, I am not surprised that you missed why I was telling Zileas about the thread, why I stand against the company's actions, or that you were unable to provide any evidence for your arguments beyond "big words too hard!" or "these arguments I'm not reading don't make sense to me!". I go on in further pages of the thread to talk about every issue you have raised in complaint, also linking a number of other forum conversations with even further details.

I would love to stay and debate these ideas further with you, but unfortunately I doubt that you have the capacity to present any compelling challenges to my points with your stunted attention span, and regrettably also tonight my "sad life" calls me to share the film Dood van een Schaduw with a number of my friends who haven't seen it yet, so I wish you a pleasant evening Goku Br SSj4.

MobileVortex

02-07-2013

I have a degree from Devry, in Game and Simulation programming. I would have applied a long time ago if i was single, but my girlfriend is already making 70+k a year. For us to move, and her quit her job, I would require more. I'm currently working as a broadcast engineer for a local TV Station, but my dream has always been to work for a game developer. Maybe ill submit a resume just to see where it goes, but I don't want to waste anyone's time. I have so many good ideas for this game, probably many already discussed or in the works, but I would love to contribute. EHH life is hard.

Goku Br SSj4

02-07-2013

Quote:
Eserine:
As you seem to be one of the many writers on the internet who posts their opinions about subjects without actually bothering to read the piece they are commenting on, I am not surprised that you missed why I was telling Zileas about the thread, why I stand against the company's actions, or that you were unable to provide any evidence for your arguments beyond "big words too hard!" or "these arguments I'm not reading don't make sense to me!". I go on in further pages of the thread to talk about every issue you have raised in complaint, also linking a number of other forum conversations with even further details.

I would love to stay and debate these ideas further with you, but unfortunately I doubt that you have the capacity to present any compelling challenges to my points with your stunted attention span, and regrettably also tonight my "sad life" calls me to share the film Dood van een Schaduw with a number of my friends who haven't seen it yet, so I wish you a pleasant evening Goku Br SS.

keep thinking that. You're only "telling" (re: spamming) your ideas to people for the sake of garnering attention.

My claim is evidenced by the fact that the majority of your thread containing zero substance whatsoever is mainly you putting more pretentious posts up over and over again.

You can continue to feign intellectual superiority, but you're nothing more than an angry person with a keyboard and an apparent vendetta.

2/10 for making me respond to your post.

Prof YANA

02-07-2013

I'd absolutely love to apply, but there's one problem. Does "to qualify for an internship, you must be a full-time student enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program" mean right now, or next year? I'm full time on credit load right now, but will only have a total of 6 credits left to finish after what I'm already in is done, and can't possibly afford to take more than I actually need.

NephyOrigin

02-07-2013

Do you have to be in an American institution?