Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoleine View Post
Zileas,
I'm an English major dedicated to communication and public relations is something I'm desperately passionate about, and I'd love to know if pure passion/hard work can pull of a job with a stellar resume or if I won't even be looked out until I have other experience (Such the catch 22 with jobs - can't get a job until you have experience but I can't get experience if I don't have a job!)
Man, you and I both. PR is the bomb. *Hi fives*

If only I had gone into something else that wasn't music for college.

Anyway, when I last asked about applying to Riot, they told me it was a case-by-case basis. Sometimes, people are absolutely phenomenal for the job they're applying for, even if their resume doesn't exactly show it completely, while others have a fantastic resume, but not quite the feel of what Riot wants.

Based on my opinion, I'd think that your resume and current experience would be sufficient to take interest in. I'd say go for it and apply. The worst they can say is 'maybe next time'. :3


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prince

Senior Member

02-05-2013

“What is the worst-designed ability in League of Legends, and why?”
darius ult hands down
done


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Majoleine

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemus Delphus View Post
Man, you and I both. PR is the bomb. *Hi fives*

If only I had gone into something else that wasn't music for college.

Anyway, when I last asked about applying to Riot, they told me it was a case-by-case basis. Sometimes, people are absolutely phenomenal for the job they're applying for, even if their resume doesn't exactly show it completely, while others have a fantastic resume, but not quite the feel of what Riot wants.

Based on my opinion, I'd think that your resume and current experience would be sufficient to take interest in. I'd say go for it and apply. The worst they can say is 'maybe next time'. :3
Oh wow, that sounds awesome. *high fives back*

Yeah, I was getting a little discouraged cause Zileas was just talking about CS or engineering degrees and I feel like there are other things to do at Riot besides the hardcore developing stuff. I just click with people better than computers and helping people out is just something I want to do.

I guess the biggest worry now is I'm on the other side of the country and all. xD Wouldn't know where I'd move after I graduated.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoleine View Post
Oh wow, that sounds awesome. *high fives back*

Yeah, I was getting a little discouraged cause Zileas was just talking about CS or engineering degrees and I feel like there are other things to do at Riot besides the hardcore developing stuff. I just click with people better than computers and helping people out is just something I want to do.

I guess the biggest worry now is I'm on the other side of the country and all. xD Wouldn't know where I'd move after I graduated.
Ha! Another similarity, it seems. It's stated in the User Research Intern page (and in this thread) that Riot would be willing to cover cost for an interview, things like plane tickets, hotel costs, and food. Once you ace the interview, (get it because League a--never mind) you'd make the decision on if you want to move all the way out to Santa Monica to pursue the internship for the ~12 weeks it lasts, and maybe get a permanent job.

Worst case scenario, you don't do well in the interview and you fly back home to do what you normally do. But at least you'd know where you stand for Riot as per your degree plan and general choices, so you can work towards even better for the future!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goku Br SSj4

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Zileas, I haven't really done anything that would be impressive to the eyes of the riot gods, but I have been through a very tough life.

I've worked in seedy areas to maintain an income to allow me to go to school, and I've been through many setbacks in my otherwise dull life that I'm proud to say have been dealt with through sheer force of will.

I'm in my ~3rd year of college as of now, but I've changed my major so it really is closer to 2.5 years.

Would you be interested in a super dependable intern whose had a tango with armed robbers, whose had to throw coke heads out of a hotel, and whose generally dealt with all of his problems in life in a head on but responsible manner?

PM me for boosting 2000 msp

edit - This is my alt that I use to make stupid forum topics, but my question still applies.
inb4 huiaehuaehuae


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ALLIIAN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Ok
Just wondering, for the future (I'm a junior in college looking to go into video game law)
What are you looking for in a lawyer? Certain degrees, experience?

Is there an industry standard for video game copyright law? Are there other types of law that apply to Riot other than copyright?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIIAN View Post
Ok
Just wondering, for the future (I'm a junior in college looking to go into video game law)
What are you looking for in a lawyer? Certain degrees, experience?

Is there an industry standard for video game copyright law? Are there other types of law that apply to Riot other than copyright?
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/associate-counsel

This should help :3

It's not an internship, but looks like what you're asking about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NakedGranny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I'd just apply for any random design job that you are qualified for, and the recruiting team will flag your app most likely and put you through an eval. I think it's worth examining. I will say that I'm less interested in what specific knowledge you have, and far more interested on a few dimensions:
1) If you are a versatile developer
2) If you have good, pragmatic judgement and can correctly choose when to use an advanced framework, vs when to just throw a dart at the wall
3) If you are willing to call things as they are correctly and decisively
4) If you work well with others
5) If you have a good intuitive sense for how people enjoy/don't enjoy situations
6) If you can design low-cost experiments smartly and effectively to get to useful insights

- Zileas
So, generally, just "be intelligent".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ALLIIAN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemus Delphus View Post
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/associate-counsel

This should help :3

It's not an internship, but looks like what you're asking about.
Thanks a TON


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIIAN View Post
Thanks a TON
No problem man. We're all gunning for jobs at the best company ever. No one gets left behind!