Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BadgerDrool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Hey Zileas...so...I initially wanted to apply but I doubt I'm in a position to do so. I'm considering submitting something to Riot now so I can then submit something better in the coming years to show forward progress. I'm unsure it'd be worth the effort though.

Basically I have little to show right now. I spent a decade with deep depression, ADHD, and other issues. Holding myself back in major and fundamental ways. I finally beat my depression in late December. This is after many moments where I thought I was free and was merely running on hope. I'm actually free now but it's been hardly any time at all. I've also been dealing with some very stressful circumstances that are hitting me at a weak point of self-reinvention.

This may be a good example of what I can show of my own capacity.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3059086

I am extremely intelligent. I am very capable of solid critique and feedback. I'd say my analytical skills are great but there is much room for improvement in data presentation/usage. I'm very long-winded and struggle to be succinct. It's a major failing. I chose my Reddit name to make fun of my natural tendency toward sharing deep longwinded opinions.

One of my best qualities is my ability to spot problems and digest them. I'm surprisingly good at breaking a problem down to an easy explanation or analogy. Though this currently takes me some time.

I am at present unemployed and working toward strides in self development. I presently have an Associates and will be receiving a second this term. I intend to build up and apply to BA programs for this upcoming Fall. I'm looking to pursue a 3d animation - focus Rigging path. It's going to be a long road though as there is much I need to learn.

I have a number of personal projects I wish to iterate on and a portfolio I need to bash together. Unfortunately, I have a close elderly family member whom....is not expected to be with us much longer. This is taking a heavy toll. Frankly I have a plethora of legacy bad habits to break on top of the current stress. The sum is that I do not have any of these projects developed to the point I'd want to present them.

In regards to LoL. I am a solid but lazy player. I generally do not do ranked. Once I catch up on my backlog I intend to hit Ranked again hard. In Season 2 my highest rating was ~1520 within a small sampling of games, but some unfortunate timing and pain caused my top rating to be reset below 1500 and I was only Silver at the end of the season. I try to follow the summoners code seriously and to always see where I can improve. Due to my love of the game I try to provide feedback.

I feel that I fit what Riot is looking for. Intelligence and willingness to improve. Capacity for LoL and interest to learn more. Though I also feel that I fail at meeting requirements for internship and generally have a terrible application.

I hope for 2013 to be a big year of growth for myself. I hope to have things I can show that reflect myself better then I do now. I'd love to spend some time learning at Riot. In the event you've read this post Zileas. Do you think I should apply to something now? Wait? What might I want to keep in mind for the future? I doubt anything will come of this post. However, I wish to be a bit greedy and make the effort anyway.

Thank you for spending so much time with the forums Zileas.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-05-2013
53 of 57 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Stronk View Post
How much weight does relocation carry in your evaluation of candidates? Would you take a slightly weaker fit because they are local?

What should someone without previous experience in game design do in order to prepare and pursue game design opportunities?

What do you believe is the single most important trait for someone to possess working in game design?

Is supporting the retroactive removal of a certain armored bear a desirable quality?
We don't care about location in design as it relates to candidates with US work authorization.

For interns, we do require US work authorization. For non-interns, we sometimes are willing to help you gain US work authorization depending upon the situation.

The Unchosen One

02-05-2013

waiting for live event design position to open up....

becomes skeleton

HuskarDc

02-05-2013

What about developers? What are the semantics of this conversation?

Greatest Dad NA

02-05-2013

I was the servant of Nurgle for three years, can that land me a spot somewhere?

MadridFC

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We don't care about location in design as it relates to candidates with US work authorization.

For interns, we do require US work authorization. For non-interns, we sometimes are willing to help you gain US work authorization depending upon the situation.
Wait, does this mean, that as a non US citizen i can work at riot, they help me find a place to live and even pay me for working there, do i have to sing with blood ?

I aint no flamer

02-05-2013

Would you want to hire a 2000 elo senior electrical engineering student who's got permabanned twice? I have lots of improvements in my mind for game balance, gameplay versatility, tribunal, PVP.net client and punishment system. I'm an experienced forum moderator and game master btw.

1 ham 1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

I want to intern!

Wait, my grades are too bad. I was too busy playing league instead of studying.

okay

GigglesO

02-05-2013

What would you think of say... a junior in Mechanical Engineering with up through Differential equations and Calculus 3? Also, I'm taking numerical analysis with matlab and mechatronics for programming robots and arduinos. I also have some C++ knowledge.

CloaknDagger222

02-05-2013

Really, really disappointed that you have to be in school for this.

Riot, guys, the education bubble is huge. It's prohibitively expensive to attend college, and I don't understand the artificial restriction of currently possessing the resources to attend undergrad or grad school. Talent isn't always where money is.

Your FAQ said you wanted people who blazed trails.

Can you prove it?