Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sol Badguy

02-04-2013

Someday, Zileas. Someday we'll toast over a beer ;_;

I interviewed recently, but it wasn't a right fit. I'm not ready to quit just yet, though.

octavian1127

02-04-2013

Just finished nursing school. You guys need a company nurse? You know, for times when someone makes fun of Leona or when Morello gets a little over enthusiastic with the nerf bat.

Aithòs

02-04-2013

I don't know if this is just me but it's really discouraging to read your job postings. It seems like every position that isn't an internship (which probably doesn't pay enough for someone like me to be able to relocate) requires AAA experience or 4+ years in the industry.

It's been my dream for going on 20 years to get into game design. I have a bachelors in CS, several years experience as a programmer, experience doing design work on online text based games (MUDs) as well as some mobile design experience, an absolute passion for online games from FPS to MMORPG and now with MOBA. I have excellent communications skills and years of management experience, what does a guy have to do to get his resume considered?

I haven't applied to Riot previously since I'm new to your game genre and company but these types of technical creative jobs are what drive me. Is there any chance someone who doesn't already live there gets looked at? I know everyone says they consider applicants from all over, but how many guys in Iowa have multiple years working on a AAA title? The best I have is area design and pvp class balance on a MUD that ran for well over ten years and won multiple awards with hundreds of players active daily.

Sorry if I rambled a bit there, it's just hard to stay positive for so long when it seems your dream is still so far away (literally and figuratively). I know I have what it takes to be successful in this type of position, is there anything I can do to show you guys? Design new maps? Sit down and do comprehensive "patch notes" where I tell you what I'd do from a balance perspective? Explain how I'd adjust your ELO/MMR system? Tell me please!

KnightedHobo

02-04-2013

No room for recent supply chain and operations management undergrad graduates in the video gaming world

Solo Mid Nasus

02-04-2013

I was wondering how badly being a previously banned summoner by the tribunal would impact your chances?

Taking into account that it has been a long time since the ban(s) and have now reformed

Yma Sumac

02-04-2013

Rofl for anyone who is actually interested in game design, don't join Riot

prepare to have all your ideas shut down because of stupid self limitations and rules on burden of knowledge and "anti-fun". Prepare to have your ideas dumbed down and bashed due to LoL's primitive engine (Ironically while insulting WC3's engine which is capable of anything despite much hard coding involved)

LoneChipmunk

02-04-2013

Can 13 year olds work there

Biffels

02-04-2013

Random concern with only being in my 2nd year at University of Missouri. I, for one, know that the University does not have a great computer science program (which I'm in) and being only in my 2nd year means I don't really take anything concerning computers yet, just lots of math and general requirements still. How would this affect my chances? I read the description of the Game Design intern and it seems that they are to come up with new mechanics but I'm not sure if "implement" means we would also code them or provide the base code to whoever does that. Jordan's story (the snapshot of an intern's day you have posted) includes a few hours of hard coding. Just confused on whether or not coding experience is required for consideration.
On the other hand, I have well over the 5000 hours of played time on my games. My Everquest2 experience alone is roughly a years worth of played time, not to mention other games.

I'd like to apply but without any experience in coding I feel like I'd just be wasting my time.

Alexpotato

02-04-2013

@Zileas

Hey there! I am currently a sophomore in college. I am a computational media major and we focus on a bit of coding (I have basic Python, average java, and am currently learning C to program a gameboy advance game) and graphic design work (by the end of this semester I will have the basics of Photoshop and InDesign down).

While in college, I have been on a team that programmed Space Trader (an old palm pilot game) in Java while adding our own twist to it. I am also currently working on learning C to program a small game for the gameboy advance (nothing to the scale of Pokemon or any big title). I have HUGE ideas for games and content that I have written down.

With these "qualifications" what sounds like the best fit for me? I would LOVE to try content design, but I wouldn't mind doing some behind the scenes coding (although I am not the best coder by anyones standards).

Thank you for your time!

ItemsGuy

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yma Sumac View Post
Rofl for anyone who is actually interested in game design, don't join Riot

prepare to have all your ideas shut down because of stupid self limitations and rules on burden of knowledge and "anti-fun". Prepare to have your ideas dumbed down and bashed due to LoL's primitive engine (Ironically while insulting WC3's engine which is capable of anything despite much hard coding involved)
Burden of Knowledge and Anti-Fun are bad for game design.

If you have bad ideas, of course they're going to get shut down.

EDIT:

Also @Zileas, what are the stages for the application process? I know that the "first response" comes within ~4 weeks of the application, but what after that? I'm guessing an interview of sorts, but some specifics would be incredibly helpful.

Also, with the interviews-would these be via phone/Skype or in person? If it's in person, how is the schedule decided?