Season 3 and Cooldown Reduction

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Falgæa

02-01-2013

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems Season 3 just changed how we calculate the relative worth of Cooldown Reduction.

With Kindlegem, 10% CDR used to cost 322g. (This is based on the following math: from Ruby Crystal, we can calculate that 180 Health=475 Gold. If you divide Kindlegem's health by that of RC, then you can get a ratio for the inflation. 200 Health/180 Health= 1.1... so multiplying 475g by 1.1 would give one the cost of Kindlegem's health, 527.7g. Subtract this from Kindlegem's base price of 850, and you are left with 322.3 gold, or 322 for simplicity's sake.)

Season 3 just changed this calculation with the changes to Fiendish Codex. Judging from Amplifying Tome, 20 AP costs 435g, making the 30 AP found in Fiendish Codex worth about 652g using the above calculations. Now subtract that from Fiendish Codex's price of 820, and suddenly 10% CDR is worth a mere 168 gold. Talk about a steep price drop.

Am I doing the math right here, everyone? Are we going to have to redo the cost efficiency lists for CDR items now? Thoughts in general?

The Lord Impaler

02-01-2013

Your trying to figure out the cost of CDR when their probably IS NO STANDARDIZED COST, Health, Mana, AP and AD are probably about all that gets standardized across all items in the sense that a consistent cost ratio is trying to be achieved. I've never heard Riot say that stats like CDR are though about in this way, thus the changes to one item do not imply some kind of refactoring of all CDR items.

Falgæa

02-01-2013

Quite to the contrary, many people use values such as these to determine how cost efficient items typically are. For instance, go on the LoL wiki and look up any fully-built item. They have calculations for each of their quantifiable stats, excluding unique passives and actives.

The Lord Impaler

02-01-2013

The question is not if 'people' do it but if RIOT dose it, if they are not systematically valuing CDR then they can not be said to changing a valuation they are not even making. And again their would need to be an across the board drop in the prices of other CDR items for it to be a true revaluation. What we have is most likely an attempt to buff Codex in isolation.

Falgæa

02-01-2013

The thing is, cost efficiency is based off of relative worth. As a player, we can measure that. Riot may not be using it, but players can to judge items against each other. It's a useful theorycrafting tool.

itsbigfoot

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falga View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems Season 3 just changed how we calculate the relative worth of Cooldown Reduction.

With Kindlegem, 10% CDR used to cost 322g. (This is based on the following math: from Ruby Crystal, we can calculate that 180 Health=475 Gold. If you divide Kindlegem's health by that of RC, then you can get a ratio for the inflation. 200 Health/180 Health= 1.1... so multiplying 475g by 1.1 would give one the cost of Kindlegem's health, 527.7g. Subtract this from Kindlegem's base price of 850, and you are left with 322.3 gold, or 322 for simplicity's sake.)

Season 3 just changed this calculation with the changes to Fiendish Codex. Judging from Amplifying Tome, 20 AP costs 435g, making the 30 AP found in Fiendish Codex worth about 652g using the above calculations. Now subtract that from Fiendish Codex's price of 820, and suddenly 10% CDR is worth a mere 168 gold. Talk about a steep price drop.

Am I doing the math right here, everyone? Are we going to have to redo the cost efficiency lists for CDR items now? Thoughts in general?
frozen heart: 400 gold for 5% cdr

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

All of the CDR items are kind of random in their cost-efficiency. Stinger's 450 for 10%, while Nashor's is 200 for 10%. People don't really calculate an efficiency value for CDR, at least to my knowledge, because it's all over the board.

itsbigfoot

02-03-2013

nashors does not give cdr on recipe, its carry over from stinger/codex

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigfoot View Post
nashors does not give cdr on recipe, its carry over from stinger/codex
That's right, it USED to be 5% gained on recipe, I keep thinking old-school Nashor's. But in that time it was 400 gold for 10% on Stinger, then 500 gold for 5% on Nashor's, so what the hell anyway?

My point still stands by itself; a gold value per point on CDR is pretty difficult if not just stupid to try and determine.

67chrome

02-03-2013

I've tried figuring out the price for various attributes for determining the value of runes, and honestly there was no coherent price on cooldown reduction in Season 2. The best I could come up with was around a ~33 gold per stat point on anything that didn't have a base item designated entirely to one attribute. But if you compare a season 2 Kindlegem to a season 2 Brutalizer, the cooldown priceing is substantially different. The only way you could really compare costs was if you could issolate the price of CDR in every item and average it out, then compare things like season 2 to season 3, or even the availability of CDR at various intervals of the game.

But to make a long story short, with the changes you should re-do cost efficiency. Kindlegem alone isn't a great starting point though.