Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot, I want an explanation - New Ranked System is flawed.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LOLOL BYE

02-01-2013

Okay, so this thread has expanded into a very helpful discussion about peoples thoughts and different scenarios within the new ranked system, my personal experience is negative, but I think we should let this turn into a discussion rather then a rant.

Below is my story, feel free to read on others and post your own so Riot can fix the system.

---------------------------- My Story ------------------

To start of, I just want to make it clear that I am mad. I just went 9-1 in my placement games (6-1 at 1551 preseason, then 9-1 this morning), meaning if the elo system was still visable, I'd be floating around 1620-1650.

Now lets talk about my last game, I played against an enemy team which composed of 3 people from Gold D3 (1650~), 1 person from Gold D1(1800~) and 1 person who was still in placement.

My team composed of All 1 Gold D3 (1650~), 3 Gold D5 (1580~), and me who was in placement. - We won this game against the odds, and after the game, I was placed into... Silver D1 (1450).

So with an elo of around 1620-1650, I'm matched into a pool of 1400s. (It gets better)
Now because I'm still being matched due to my elo, I'm going to have to fight people in Gold Tier every single match just to stay in Silver D1, and become positive for a chance to make it to Gold D5.

This is not fair.

But the good thing is, I'm still 1st in my Division, due to the fact there are only 2 players in my division...

TL;DR - Because of Placement I now have to compete with 1700s to stay in a pool with a skill level of 1400.

The community wants a reply.

EDIT: Just played my first match after officially being placed in a League (Silver 1) - My entire team and the entire enemy team were in Gold 1 (Best Division in Gold) - After a 60min drawn out match, we lost. So It's confirmed, I have to play 1700-1800s to get out of Silver. Worst ****ing ranked system ever

Meanwhile: The other person in my league is playing enemys from Silver 3, because he just hit level 30, he is now 1st in the league.

EDIT2: Now after my 9 win streak in placement games, I'm now on a losing streak at about 1700~ elo, and about to fall down to Silver D2 because I'm not good enough to carry Gold D1 games.

EDIT3:

Quote:
Yegg:
Okay, so here's what's going on here...

Because you had only just finished your initial ten placement matches, the system was cautious and placed you into Silver I. This is a division that comprises a large range of MMRs, and you were right near the top. As to why it's a large range: think of slicing up a bell curve into chunks of equal volume (as we want each Silver division to be roughly equivalent in size); as you get further out on the curve, the chunks are wider in order to get the same number of players. Since your MMR was quite high, you were matched against Gold players, and the system was looking for you to consistently prove that you belong in Gold. When you started winning matches, since you were defeating Gold players you were given 30+ points per match, and you're now at 92 LP after only 3 wins. When/if you lose a match, you will lose probably 10 or fewer LP, so you're on track to make it to Gold quite quickly. You were never in any danger of falling down to Silver Division 2, as you would have to start losing against other Silver players before that would even be a possibility.

The reason why the system is hesitant to place players who've just finished their initial placement matches directly into Gold is that tier changes are permanent in the league system, so there are some extra checks and balances that must be passed in order to avoid having a bunch of players stuck at the bottom of a tier they don't belong in. We were able to be slightly less cautious with players who played a lot during the preseason because they'd already demonstrated their skill level over a longer series of games.

Hope this helped! I'll check back in this thread later to answer more questions later tonight, probably in a few hours.

I'm actually a lot more calm about this now, the initial panic set in that I was much lower then I was meant to be and was playing very hard competitive games, only to be at the same level as very low players. After a few more games I've realized that the LP distribution is the saving grace in this case, because my hidden elo is much higher then the average elo in my division, and I am consistently gaining a lot more then I lost, and i also didn't realize that it wasn't possible for me to fall to Silver D2 until I lost vs players at that level.

All in all, I think the system works, and I can understand why it was cautious to place me in Gold Tier and I'm glad its not letting people who 'luck' their way up into higher tiers.

Thank you for the explanation Yegg - I also hope this thread helps anybody who has confusion with the new leagues

EDIT4: I'm currently 16W 4L, constantly vsing 1780s-1850's (Every single player in the game other then me is this rating) and I'm at the bottom of Gold V, I feel demotivated to play when I have to consistently play at this level to only be recognized so low.

LOLOL BYE

02-01-2013

Red Bait: Parrots, Leona, Cookies, Nidalee, Tons of Damage, Phreak, Yegg, Nikasaur

LOLOL BYE

02-01-2013

bump

Ricky B0bby

02-01-2013

If you're so good you'll get where you need to be. You have a whole season to get where you need to be

LOLOL BYE

02-01-2013

nerfmaster morello

LOLOL BYE

02-01-2013

Quote:
Ricky B0bby:
If you're so good you'll get where you need to be. You have a whole season to get where you need to be

No, I won't, that's the point, Because my elo doesn't match my leagues elo, To get to a Premier League to Advance to Gold, I have to go positive against 1700s (Effectively moving up to 1800)

Tarq

02-01-2013

Lucy, you got some splan'n to do!

LOLOL BYE

02-01-2013

Why the **** wasn't this thought of earlier?

Suda

02-01-2013

Wait Im having the same problem my teamates fed I dont rage at all but there is something massively flawed about this ranked system

Suda

02-01-2013

I read hours on guides play correctly accordingly to the game but like im being matched with very odd teamates compared also the the other team Not even the slightest chance of winning Super One Sided games How long do I have to wait for the Matchmaking brackets to balance out This is not very fun .....