Reduce the price of support items

Yes, reduce the price 35 70.00%
No, freeze the price 13 26.00%
No, increase the price 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Support Items are Overpriced

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alexaund

02-01-2013

I'm a concerned support player.
I play support characters 75% of my games, the rest of my time is invested in jungling, besides the point. I've begun to see a growing pattern in support items that is their price is being inflated.
Pre-season 3 Riot introduces Crystalline Flask. That item was a godsend to any support champ in the League. It was fairly cheap, the equivalent of about 6 potions, and allowed for 2 wards and an additional health potion to be bought as starting items with the additional gold mastery. There was nothing overpowered about it. It was there to help support sustain themselves in their lane where their adc had lifesteal and Doran's blades, support had to spend their starting gold on wards most of the time. Then Riot nerfed the flask and bumped the price FIFTY PERCENT. Now I can buy a flask and a single ward with my 50 additional gold mastery. That's outrageous, there was just no reason to boost the price.
Now in Season 3, the new sightstone items are being boosted in price as well. I don't see the point in that. Support champions make the least gold of any other role, why would you make their items cost even more?
Boosting the price of sightstones is only prompting me to forget them and just straight buy wards again. I can buy 10 wards for the same price as a basic sightstone which can only place 2 wards at a time.
Riot needs to either boost the charges/max placement of the sightstones, or reduce the price again, or else they'll dissolve into the useless support item spectrum that flask has all but merged with.
I love playing support Riot, don't make it a hassle.

Awesome

02-01-2013

I am all for more wards earlier in the game, since it promotes awareness (and doesn't hamper junglers as much as it would seem,) but I am not a fan of support champions being given more healing and mana regeneration ability for themselves and teammates early on. It just makes laning a marathon where no one ever really goes back to base and instead simply sits and farms minions.

Granted, this is my opinion obviously, but since this is mostly asking for opinion, I figured I'd give my two cents.

Alexaund

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
...but I am not a fan of support champions being given more healing and mana regeneration ability for themselves and teammates early on. It just makes laning a marathon where no one ever really goes back to base and instead simply sits and farms minions.
That's where I feel Crystalline works well. It's good, but it also only has 3 charges. So for that to be a "marathon" maker the support would have to base quite a bit. Good points though.

Záchary

02-01-2013

950g for +180 Health, 2 Active Wards w/ 4 Charges. Is no way worth the cost. I would love to see the prices moved back to original price. I would rather buy stacks of Sight Wards over this item till late game when I have gold to waste on a Ruby Sightstone.

I main support 90% of my games. Quite annoyed that this was nerfed. If a team sees that the opposing team has a sightstone they should learn to rush one.

I would rather not have to stack GP10 Relics/Glyphs and/or Seals to keep up our gold to provide the team with auras/buffs and etc. While yes it's good but you lose stats elsewhere.

The Lord Impaler

02-01-2013

Their is a bit of a flaw in the concept of sight-stone, in that if its cheap enough to be affordable for supports its even cheaper (relative) to get for every non-carry. Mid, top and jungle can all take it and cover the entire map with wards constantly. That seems to have been the case at high ELO and too much map awareness was achieved, hence the nerf.

I think the solution is to work with the Masteries and put ward-boosting options their which Synergize with both sight-stone and normal wards to such a degree that it tips the balance to being useful but only for a limited set of players. For example a mastery to make wards 5 gold cheaper, or one that gives sight-stone a bonus ward capacity, or makes wards last 10% longer. These would need to be at least mid way down a tree so your necessarily specializing and everyone won't get them but they would definitively commit a player towards warding as a strategy while also reducing the gold cost burden it puts on them.

And ideally the "Utility" tree would replaced with coherent trees that have more role focus (Jungle, Support, etc etc) which would be more coherent then the current Utility tree which is just "everything not clearly for Tanking or Carrying"

The current explorer mastery is the dumb way to do it because its nothing more then a point of wealth (25 gold) converted into an equivalent amount of ward time. Boring and with no longer term synergy or effect on the game.

Záchary

02-01-2013

I don't even slot Explorer any more. Its a waste of mastery points

67chrome

02-01-2013

I'm going to go ahead an say Crystaline Flask is in no ways a support item, it's an everyone item - and it's popularity shows that. It's not even supportive in any way, all it does is restore your own health and mana.

As for sightstone, I haven't felt it as a bad buy. Health is incredibly strong early-game, and as such can really help keep me alive (which is especially handy when you have the EHP of a caster minion). The free wards are nice to, but generally don't cover warding needs entirely. It's more something that's nice to have. The cost difference in what else I can buy with the extra ward coverage is fairly noticeable most of the time though.

Nexttoradio

02-02-2013

The over-warding issue created by everybody getting sight stone is exactly the reason that I keep saying Riot needs to implement "budge oracles". Either oracle's extract and then change up oracle's elixer, or add a new active item that grants 30 sec of oracles every 3 minutes or so.

Still as a support player this new SS patch has shafted me again. It pisses me off to no end.

Burntfish44

02-02-2013

yeah riot just loves nerfing supports. i don't understand why. Look back, past the increased natural gp10, when was the last time that supports overall got a buff? like never.... \

and yeah i agree that the oracles situation needs tending to

VitaminBeer

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetukyFrydNi6a View Post
I'm a concerned support player.
I play support characters 75% of my games, the rest of my time is invested in jungling, besides the point. I've begun to see a growing pattern in support items that is their price is being inflated.
Pre-season 3 Riot introduces Crystalline Flask. That item was a godsend to any support champ in the League. It was fairly cheap, the equivalent of about 6 potions, and allowed for 2 wards and an additional health potion to be bought as starting items with the additional gold mastery. There was nothing overpowered about it. It was there to help support sustain themselves in their lane where their adc had lifesteal and Doran's blades, support had to spend their starting gold on wards most of the time. Then Riot nerfed the flask and bumped the price FIFTY PERCENT. Now I can buy a flask and a single ward with my 50 additional gold mastery. That's outrageous, there was just no reason to boost the price.
Now in Season 3, the new sightstone items are being boosted in price as well. I don't see the point in that. Support champions make the least gold of any other role, why would you make their items cost even more?
Boosting the price of sightstones is only prompting me to forget them and just straight buy wards again. I can buy 10 wards for the same price as a basic sightstone which can only place 2 wards at a time.
Riot needs to either boost the charges/max placement of the sightstones, or reduce the price again, or else they'll dissolve into the useless support item spectrum that flask has all but merged with.
I love playing support Riot, don't make it a hassle.

LoL doesnt really "support" their support champs. I think this is because a powerful support champ can really make or break a game, Which I don't see anything wrong with because it encourages team work. but oh well lets keep kha zix and all the other op champs and items the way they are