Diamond Top Lane Tips Unrelated to Mechanics or Item Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

C Sauce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

2 Days Ago

I've tried to help a few people in lower elos get better in top lane and here are all the tips not related to mechanics, CSing skills or item builds that I give people that have gotten me to my current elo:

1. Pay attention to the minimap for teleport gank opportunities (if you're running teleport) or for their jungler trying to gank you.
2. If you're a weak top laner against a strong top laner, DON'T PUSH THE WAVE INTO HIS TOWER. FARM UNDER YOUR TOWER.
3. If the enemy top laner is freezing your lane and can kill you if you show up to the lane, go take jungle creeps or try and take dragon/gank bot/mid. Feeding their enemy top laner over and over does nothing to help your team.
4. If the enemy top laner has frozen your lane in the middle you can make him push it by baiting out AAs that will cause his minion wave to push. Most likely he will also use aoe spells that will damage your minions that will make it push even harder (like Garen's E). Only do this though if you know those AAs and spells won't actually kill you (because you have sustain or healing spells or whatever).
5. Know when you can actually kill the other laner and when the other laner can kill you.
6. Pay attention to who blew summoner spells and ultimates and try to know roughly how long it takes for them to be back up (this involves a little research but if you don't bother learning the other champions to be able to fight them then you will not climb very high).
7. Related to 6 -> Have a general understanding of the cooldowns of champion abilities. If you just saw Riven activate her shield, then you need to have a rough understanding of A. how long it takes for that shield to go down and B. when that ability will be back up again (again, this involves research, but you simply cannot advance past a certain elo without knowing all champs and items).
9. Pay attention to when dragon/baron/buffs will be respawning and get ready to take or defend them.
10. Your top lane tower is not that important. It's a far better decision to gank either bot or mid and then take dragon and/or a tower then to stay top all game and focus on only killing him and his tower.
11. Run teleport the vast majority of the time. It will help you keep up in CS if things go wrong, it will create split push pressure, and if you know what you're doing you will get a lot of free kills and dragons around the map. Occasionally ignite or exhaust are good but in my opinion those are for special circumstances.
12. If you manage to deny the **** out of your top laner's farm with a hard freeze, for the love of god don't take his tower. You WANT his tower to kill as many creeps as possible while you're denying him massive CS. The only exception to this is when that rare smart top laner recognizes he lost lane and then becomes a gank machine bot and mid.
13. Always pay attention to where the enemy jungler is. As a rule I tend not to even bother trying to kill my enemy laner (depending on who I'm playing), but if you feel like you just gotta go ham then at the very least make sure you have wards wherever the enemy jungler could come in to mess up your kill.
14. It's okay to miss a few CS if that means you don't then get killed or chunked for half your health. Losing 15 or 30 gold is a far better decision than earning 15 or 30 gold but losing 3/4 of your health bar for it.
15. Spells do not generate minion aggro. If you are playing Vlad or Ryze, abuse the **** out of this. However, once you AA them your minion wave will now push into his tower making you more susceptible to ganks.
16. If you see their enemy jungle come top lane to gank you, either ping madly for your team to take dragon or teleport to dragon with your team and take it. GG free dragon.
17. Around the 3 minute mark is when their enemy jungler is waiting around top lane to gank the **** out of you. Trust me, their jungler will try to gank you at 3 minutes virtually every single game. Play safely if you don't have wards to cover your ass or if you have a weak champ with no escapes.
18. Always go with your jungler to protect his starting buff. Even better, suggest an invade if your champions excel at invading. Their enemy top laner will almost never be around to protect his team against an invade so GJ you just got first blood with that 5v4 invade.
19. NEVER STOP CSING. Just because laning phase is over doesn't mean you don't have to CS anymore. You should be taking every opportunity available to farm and farm fast. Whether it's from jungle creeps or a lane that nobody is in currently, farm it!
20. Be mindful of who counters your champion. If your champion can be countered easily, try your best to pick it last in champion select by offering to trade with someone. If you first pick a champion and then get hard countered right away, that's your fault for A. not having a big champion pool and B. not knowing how to deal with the fact you've been countered.

Also, it's one thing to have somebody tell you these things, but it's another to understand WHY I'm telling you these things. If you can understand why, you are already well on your way to a higher elo.

Phane Sorter

2 Days Ago

you

suck

C Sauce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

2 Days Ago

bump

PapaSmurfsShaft

2 Days Ago

Good tips, I've never really thought about the minions pushing cos i AA'd enemy, but it makes sense. Also i didn't know spells didn't acquire minion aggro...interesting thx op!

Magefist

2 Days Ago

You've covered a lot here and anyone that can consistently utilize these tips will almost always win lane. Something I would recommend is to communicate with your jungler and know when he plans on being in your lane. This way you can keep your CDs and HP up for their arrival in your lane especially if you are planning a tower dive.

I like that you added tips #14 & 18. 18 because this is a thing that I almost never see but very clearly a chance for a massive advantage. The way solo queuers start the game they are usually at their tower alt tabbed or sitting in a bush on the opposite side of the map. This means that you'll always invade an out numbered team.

Gulrix

2 Days Ago

This post is worth gold. Top laners favorite this and read it before every game.

Ashes Boobs

2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Sauce View Post
14. It's okay to miss a few CS if that means you don't then get killed or chunked for half your health. Losing 15 or 30 gold is a far better decision than earning 15 or 30 gold but losing 3/4 of your health bar for it.
cannot stress enough.

"Hey, i'll b ganking top in about 30-40 seconds after wraiths"
15 secodns later *an ally has been slain*
"why didnt u wait for me?"
him: "i had to get the cs or i'll fall behind and lose lane"

dafuq?