Irelia's transition into midgame.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WeXi

02-01-2013

Sup. Reposting this in Guides&Strats because General moves too quickly. I main Irelia from 1200-1400ish. Have played up to and beaten some 1700s in ranked 5s. I find that I have a difficult time (especially in solo queue) making the transition from lane phase to teamfights in mid-game (usually around 20 minutes). Unless I'm going against a hard-counter like Olaf/Jax/Darius, I typically out-CS my opponent by about 20 and usually are either a kill or two up on them from ganking mid around level 8-9 or scoring a kill in lane. I time buffs, dragon, baron, and ward both my lane and our jungle on my side.

Masteries:
0/21/9

Runes:
AS marks, armor seals, MR/level glyph

Skill order:
Q (for auto, q, auto combo at lvl 1), E (early ganks), W, W, W, R, W, E, W, E etc.

Build order depending on opponent:
Red potion + ward + health x 4 // 9 potion 2 ward // 4pot boots.

I've mostly been starting red pot recently because it makes you a nightmare early unless they are yorick/cloth armor starters.

1st back
Doran's Blade (maybe 2) + wards + potions

2nd/3rd/4th goals
Tabi, Dorans x 2, Giants belt. If I have more money either start building Wits or Zephyr.

Typically by midgame if I'm doing well I'll have the following: Tabi/Treads + Dorans + Dorans + Giants + Wits. I find that I can usually take any character 1v1 but since I'm not a true tank and I don't have the damage capability of an ADC (they typically have 2 damage items like bloodthirster + zeal or pickaxe by this point) I find that my role is kind of in question. In games where my team is doing well, it is fairly easy to be sticky and zerg out their ADC/APC. In games where my team is doing poorly, the other team will swallow me up as I zerg. When I engage, since I have no escape other than summoners, the enemy team will postpone fighting my team and focus me even if my team is actively engaging them. In theory, this should allow my team to kill someone while they focus my relatively tanky character but this never seems to happen.

I'm trying to develop a strategy that will more effectively allow me to take advantage of the 1v1 assassinating potential of Irelia but it seems that my "burst" is ultimately limited for a few reasons:

1. Building AD is counterproductive since Irelia's True Damage scales off attack speed.
  2. Building AS leads to great damage over time but during the period in which I am applying that damage the other team focuses me (even over our ADC) not allowing me to apply that damage for enough time.
  3. Building Health/Armor is only effective to a point, during late game being non-squishy doesn't seem to help much against a blood boiled vayne/kogmaw or a fed APC with a peeler.

I understand that this sounds like I'm "rambo"ing into the enemy team but unless my team has a hard engage like Amumu / Malph, it seems like all teamfights are sloppy. I guess what I'm asking is how can I make the transition more smoothly into late game and how can I help my team be more successful?

I've watched some of the Wickd recorded gameplay as Irelia and I see that he built Cleaver/LW as his first two damage items. I don't understand that at all as the damage potential is much higher with less money using wit's end, 2 dorans, W activated and more money for survivability. I know that his initial damage output is higher in a W E Q aa aa aa combo but over 3-4 attacks my damage would out-perform his.

Should I be going Tabi Dorans Dorans Giants -> Triforce before wits or Wits into Tri?

WeXi

02-01-2013

Hrm?

Dannysmalz

02-01-2013

is this a good guide? anyone else? im trying to learn irelia, and i want a good guide

HOMO KPOP

02-01-2013

I think Wits End or Triforce really just depends on the matchup. Like against Darius or Cho'Gath I definitely go with wits end but against others like Nidalee or Riven I'd rather go Phage.

And I'm not that big of a fan of giants belt -> Triforce. I'd rather go phage (or maybe sometimes sheen) instead of giants belt to get to triforce faster.

Directw

02-01-2013

just one question, if you have gold to buy 2 blades, why don't you but Vampiric Scepter?

Once you active your w, scepter should give more heal than 2 blades.

Thorston13

02-01-2013

Try Trinity+Zephyr+Spirit Visage/QSS upgrade. Gives overall more damage and tankyness, with attack speed.