Guide to Supporting for Low-Elo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlightlessX

02-01-2013

As the title states. Please take a look at my guide on LoLKing! Thanks,

http://www.lolking.net/guides/82579

FlightlessX

02-01-2013

LolKing server is back up!

Qsario

02-01-2013

A Janna guide? Interesting Here's some feedback:

I like a lot of the little tricks. You could mention a bit more about "perfect shielding" though. For one, I personally use E + target champion #1/2/3/4 keys. Yes, that's a regular E, not a smartcast E. It has to be to work with the target champ keys. As a bonus, with your screen unlocked, those target champ keys alone will move your camera to look at that ally. Also, I have a shield self key (which is smartcast spell #3 on self). That works rather well for most champs with shields, BTW. I moved some keybindings around and put the targets on Z/X/C/V and shield self on S. I keep all the other spells on smartcast, of course.

This helps you react quickly. For example, you should know the sound of Caitlyn's Q by now, so if you have the key combo to shield your ADC in memory (and it's the first one you should practice in any given game), you can quickly type it and shield them from Cait's Q whenever you hear the sound. Nunu's snowball & such are much slower and easier to block.

I agree with you about heal, but I'm wondering if exhaust is that vital these days. Yes, it's nice... but you have lots of CC already and it no longer completely nerfs their damage like the old days. It's great, but I no longer feel like it's absolutely necessary. Also, while Ionian boots are great, Merc. Threads can be great. But you need to get some CDR right away, of course, most likely via a Kindlegem. You also don't build Aegis? It's hideously expensive and I understand if top/jungle is buying one, but it's at least worth mentioning. I don't really like Banner of Command at all, though. Maybe there are times, but... it's kinda lackluster. You could also discuss the Shard of True Ice a bit more. The mana regen aura can be nice if you get it early and the effect is best placed on your top or jungle, whoever is initiating. Though saying that makes me wonder how well it works on Vlad if you can get it on him right before he pools? It's also worth considering Will of the Ancients now as a possible upgrade for your Kage.

On skill order... Tornado at level 1 is often good. That bush picture you have? That's one of the reasons I love to tornado into the first bush. Let the tornado charge from behind while walking into the bush, timing it so that a fully charged tornado hits the bush about when you enter. Yeah, they still might get off a bit of harass, but they'll pay for it. You don't discuss using Janna's skills much, either. Q has many, many uses. While quick casts are used to interrupt enemies, charged casts are used to *deny area* to the enemies. You can deny escape routes, bushes, and even your own location, including your future location. You don't have to predict much of anything if you know they're going to follow you down a narrow path! Also, you should be using E for the damage buff, especially when pushing or attacking towers.

And while you don't like the offensive uses of R much (and I grant, they're _incredibly_ hard to get right), it can be very rewarding to push someone into the turret, trap them against the wall (this pins them!), or both. I've gotten double-kills due to this by pinning people under our turret and healing myself. I've also used Volibear's throw + my R to separate him from his team, leaving him to get bursted down while I flee. Finally, I have used R to shove people into the base laser. If you're going to lose, at least put up a fight I damn near shoved an entire team in there once, not that the laser would likely have killed them all fast enough. At least I got one of them down before they got the nexus.

You discuss jungle timers, but fail to mention ward timers. They last 3 minutes, except for that 1 minute ward from the mastery. I have actually stolen blue with Janna before. I... don't recommend doing that alone, even though I have.

Also, you might want to mention that most of your damage is in that W. You don't "need" flash by any means, but a flash+W combo really catches people by surprise. I've gotten more than a few kills from that, which is great because people generally don't expect any damage from you and sometimes take too many risks. It's always hilarious when you can afford to troll a little I've chased a low-HP Vayne past two turrets and into her base, got the kill and managed to flee. I've also used flash to tower dive Blitzcrank, kill him, then escaped their ADC by ducking into a bush and recalling from their jungle. And I've flashed into the dragon pit, stolen it with W, and ulted them out of my way to escape. So... you don't need flash, but it's still awesome.

Qsario

02-01-2013

Oh yeah, on skill order. Q at level 1 is frequently necessary (e.g. vs. Blitzcrank). Poke heavy lanes (Caitlyn, Zilean, etc.) demand shield at level 1, of course, and it can be great to combo your shield with Ashe's 1st hit crit.

FlightlessX

02-01-2013

Thanks for the feedback! I admit that flash is very nice for different situations and it's 100% viable on Janna. I just personally really like to have exhaust and heal on Janna or further improve her team-fighting potential. Janna's laning is pretty lackluster so I focus more on the mid to late game. Going to experiment some more with the items and Q at lvl 1.

Qsario

02-01-2013

Q at level 1 is pretty important vs. someone like Leona, especially if they hit level 2 before you do, at least to me. To be honest, I rarely take shield at level 1 unless there's a poke lane, simply because you can tornado/flash your way out of crazy level 1 ganks. But shield is especially awesome at early levels where every bit of harass matters, so I have been known to save that point and only spend it when it's clear which ability I need.

As your picture shows, some people love to sit in that bottom bush at level 1 for a gank. If you have tornado, you can charge a tornado at the bush while you check it. Actually, I find that it's generally useful when you really have to check/ward a dangerous area. For example, if I'm purple and going to check dragon, I'll charge a tornado at dragon from my own side of the jungle before reaching out to ward. That way if they're all doing dragon, I'm probably not going to die horribly when they gap-close on to me.

I'm glad to see someone mention the fact that you can shield ignite, though. Same goes for poison. You might want to call out the fact that shields work on DoT, because it's somewhat counter-intuitive but incredibly useful. I've saved more than a few people who should've died to ignite and caused a few people to WTF wanting to know how we survived that on all chat

Finally, I don't remember if you mentioned the cursor color trick: your cursor turns green when your ward is in the bush. Very useful tidbit. There are a couple of other small warding tricks, too, like hiding your ward inside the lip of the baron pit, so that wards in the river won't see it and various other ways to ward through walls, but I think most of those are covered in the various warding guides.