I may be able to fix Yi, Permanently.

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

igJoon

02-01-2013

Hey, so we all know that Master Yi has it's moments, but as of lately, not much space in the Meta for him. Don't tell me I just don't know how to play Yi, because I do. I'm just pointing out some flaws, that everyone knows about, and contributing to a way to fix it. Yi lovers, such as myself, don't admit it, and Yi haters spray salt to the wound. As a Yi lover, I'm stepping out of that circle and actually looking at the problem. A way to not make him too "Over Powered" and a way to get him out of his "Under Powered" state. Or, just re-adjusting his spells a bit.

Now, one problem Yi has is that three of his abilities are duration based. Nothing wrong with that, and in fact, I like it. I also like that this makes a great debate for whether AP or AD Master Yi is better. I, personally, am an AD Master Yi fan. And until now, Riot has been trying at fixing Yi without killing one or the other, and danced around "Mediate" until now. I like the changes to it, but it's still not fixing the flaw.
Yi, after going in to fight with his "Wuju Style" and "Highlander" activated, and then NEEDING "Meditate" to live, will waste most of the duration of his other abilities. And it's not like his AD abilities scale off anything. If there is no duration left on his ability, he has no abilities.
So, what if the duration on the "Meditate's" heal was gone?
OH OH OH, don't jump the guns yet. I know one of the good things about "Meditate" is the armor and magic resist boost. There is a solution to that as well.
Seeing that Yi has so much duration based spells, I believe the best way to fix the flaw with "Meditate's" flaw is to make the HEAL to be an ON DEMAND type. Cool Down still ridiculously long, of course. What to do with the armor and magic resist boost?
Why don't we just make Meditate a duration based buff? (On cast, immediate heal + duration armor and magic resist boost buff)
Doesn't that fit Yi perfectly?
You'd now be able to make a get away, or enter a fight, without being obliterated in the process or sitting still while the predators wait.
Also, it's possible to add a portion of that boost as a passive to the ability, and the full amount to the activation as well. This way, there's a choice to make in between his "Meditate," and "Alpha Strike." And also, this doesn't kill the AP Yi, as he makes his get away with a heal and resistances.
Did I mention that this would help his clear? That this would help him gank more, like the Meta suggest?

What do you guys say? Would this power him up too much? Does this fix the initial problem with Yi?

Please make this post known. I think this is a good fix that needs to be done ASAP.

EDIT: OF COURSE THE STATS WILL BE CHANGED UP A BIT, IF NOT A LOT. I'm not expecting 300 bonus Armor and Magic Resist, and NOT expecting 800 HP heal. NOT AT ALL.
THERE IS A REASON PBE EXISTS.
I would suggest toning down the base health heal and increasing the AP ratio. PBE may have to fudge with the Armor and Magic Resist boost a bit

2/2/13: Recently, I've been thinking about rearranging Yi's abilities around. Just tossing the idea around for now.
For example,
"Alpha Strike" on Q,
"Highlander" on W,
"Wuju Style" on E, and
"Meditate" on the ultimate (R). This way (after making "Meditate" on cast) we can really bring out the hyper carry Yi is (if played well, can get penta kill with refreshing spells), and use the ultimate as getaway/initiate. I feel like this could get Yi on the OP side a bit, so I'm hesitant, but I'll throw the idea in there.

Aungonil

02-01-2013

You want Yi's meditate to be cast, heal him for the same amount, and give him armor and mr buffs over the duration?

So we can have someone regenerating more than mundo with 300 bonus armor and mr and 40% increased move speed alpha striking people?

Yeah, no.

They toned down the AP ratio on meditate because AP yi had no counterplay for almost every mid champion, you could harass him but he'd heal it back, and he zoned you out of all your cs with alpha strike, forcing you out of lane before you even managed to clear a wave.

AP yi is still good, they needed to adjust the ratio to stop Yi from being able to make mid lane impossible for the enemy to do anything in.

igJoon

02-01-2013

Quote:
You want Yi's meditate to be cast, heal him for the same amount, and give him armor and mr buffs over the duration?

So we can have someone regenerating more than mundo with 300 bonus armor and mr and 40% increased move speed alpha striking people?

Yeah, no.

I never said the same stats will be available for that ability. Of course an on demand heal will have to be toned down. Thanks for mentioning it though, I never did make that clear. Also, in no way am I saying AP Yi is bad. I'm just trying to not hurt him

Summoner Fellow

02-01-2013

I could see that working. Actually, a pretty good suggestion. This fix fits in with m.yi perfectly.
I say bump and thumbs up

MMHSTerror

02-01-2013

It wouldn't really be meditating if you're running around killing everybody 0.o
and lol at the person saying AP had no counterplay.

Dthehunter

02-01-2013

Not a bad idea. I'll bump for this.

Shockforce

02-01-2013

Tbh, they should just full out make him a hybrid damage champion.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Yi doesn't need innate durability- the entire premise of the Melee ADC character class is that they don't have natural stat durability and scale well on raw damage.

Innate durability is for the more simple minded Fighers like Jax and Wukong.

As an AD Yi fan, I think the only thing he could legitimately recieve would be help against CC shut-down to do high amounts of damage in a short time, then likely die but take a carry or two with him.

Absolute 42

02-01-2013

This could work.

Spald

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aungonil View Post
They toned down the AP ratio on meditate because AP yi had no counterplay for almost every mid champion, you could harass him but he'd heal it back, and he zoned you out of all your cs with alpha strike, forcing you out of lane before you even managed to clear a wave.
AP Yi was good, but by no means did he have no counterplay. Against assassin types with all burst and no stun, this could be true. Against ranged mids with a stun though, he was the one locked out of cs. If he alpha striked in, he'd literally be defenseless for a few seconds. A stun would shutdown his meditating through a burst rotation. Having no ranged AA and alpha strike leaving you in the middle of a pack of minions meant you'd be horribly exposed every time you last hit.

Someone like veiger made his life hard. Someone like annie just made him want to quit.

12345 ... 7