Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Alright riot why remove HoG?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirodir

Recruiter

02-01-2013

Quote:
Best Mage NA:
Sightstone is much more tricky since you don't have something in magic that gives you increased effectiveness with every use that doesn't turn it into something offensive (a combo or the etc).

I don't play as much magic as you. But wouldn't Sightstone fit into: "Once a turn, one spell costs one less colorless mana" while HoG would fit into: "Every turn put a counter on this card. You can remove one counter to pay for a colorless mana."

HoG is building up constantly even if you do not cast spells. Sightstone only benefits you if you DO cast spells...but then at the same rate.

Edit: for the sake of the analogy we ignore that there is stuff like proliferate in mtg.

Sikkes

02-01-2013

Lack of HoG really hurts still. I think health will continue to get toned down (it's close with the new patch). Hopefully this encourages Riot to take a look at a niche cost efficient health item.

Ruby sightstone certainly helps me get tankier as a support, but it's annoying when I jungle...

(Obviously, a solution to this is getting ruby sightstone on junglers, but I'd really only do this on really supporty ones like Alistar and Nautilus)

Jumping Salmon

02-01-2013

Quote:
Mirodir:
I don't play as much magic as you. But wouldn't Sightstone fit into: "Once a turn, one spell costs one less colorless mana" while HoG would fit into: "Every turn put a counter on this card. You can remove one counter to pay for a colorless mana."

HoG is building up constantly even if you do not cast spells. Sightstone only benefits you if you DO cast spells...but then at the same rate.

The big difference on the HoG example is you could use that to power ridiculous things relatively quickly. It would have to be like, "Every turn put a counter on this card. Remove a counter: add one colorless mana. If there are 3 or more counters on this card, sac it." Even then, it's still incorrect since HoG gave a perma advantage instead of a tempo play. In fact, buying HoG lost you tempo early for the tradeoff of getting secured gold for midgame.

The sightstone is also incorrect because sightstone itself doesn't feed anything, it just makes you safer. Perhaps it's closer to gaining life than gaining mana. Either way, Mtg analogys are loose for league.

HoG is closer to Carpet of Flowers and Exploration's love child and Sightstone is closer to Venser's Journal/Bird of Paradise. One (Sightstone) gives you an immediate advantage in a less powerful way and the other SECURED your advantage regardless if it stays around.

Voidgolem

02-01-2013

Logically speaking - You could buy HoG, stalemate the lane with your bonus health, and come out ahead because hey free money.

Can't really do that with sightstone because all that money = wards and it doesn't build into Randuin's. Hey?

Junglewise, Kindlegem is a thing. I guess. I haven't really had any issues with going straight warmog in there so far >.>

NotBuzzJack

02-01-2013

Hi I'm Ryze, and I have a HoG because it's the best item in the game.

Give me a good reason not to buy HoG. Heck, if the item continued to exist AD carries would probably start getting it.

Silent Reaper

02-01-2013

Quote:
Redeemed RivĂȘn:
Sightstone
These changes are to reduce the excessive amount of early vision teams can acquire with little cost. This should create more opportunities to gank and reward counter play, especially for junglers.

Recipe changed: Ruby Crystal + 475 gold = 950 gold (from 700)
Health increased to 180 from 100
Gold reward for Sightstone wards increased to 25 from 10

-They give the same bonus health, so it creates the same passive gameplay in lane.
-The serve the same purpose, a way for supports to have enough money to buy wards.
-They are roughly the same cost.

But HoG was bad and sightstone is good?

Because passive bonus gold is bad.

It allows bad players who are losing the lane to get free gold to buy more items and never fall behind in the game.
It makes players who are winning the lane "win more" for free.

Vinyl Skratch

02-01-2013

Math was done on the sightstone and if you used wards constantly it was more GP10 than HoG could ever amount to. Plus it prevents the argument of "I NEED GP10 CAN'T WARD LOL!"

Malgana

02-01-2013

Quote:
netkitten:
most of bruisers wouldn't buy sightstone
on the other hand since the passive gold was increased i doubt hog would be so popular

Unless they're jungle Jax.

Free jumps forever.

Quadrakill Amumu

02-01-2013

Quote:
Redeemed RivĂȘn:
But HoG was bad and sightstone is good?

It's simply a way to make terrible players better.

Given a HoG, the support is too often tempted to spend her gold elsewhere; given a Sightstone, well, she has no choice but to ward...and ward...and ward... In other words, a HoG that stops generating gold after 7.5 minutes and must be "rebooted" at shop will fit Xypherous' MtG analogy, but still won't make noobs buy wards.

Tolinar

02-01-2013

Quote:
Ezekiel73:
R.I.P Heart of Gold, which was a turtle shell.

Yeah, I like turtle shells too. I think they look cool.