Just Got Hecarim, possible top build.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CyrosGold

02-01-2013

So yeah, I picked him up, looked him over thoroughly, and decided on a build. I would like some experienced opinions.

This is for a top lane tank/off tank build, I can either build tanky first or if off tanking and sharing lane I can build offensive first.

First of all I'm only at level 23 so that's as high as my masteries go atm.

For them I am going 3/0/20
My main focus was sustain, cooldown, and gold gain.
In offense it's sorcery 3/4(4/4 next level), 0 defense, and in utility I have summoner's insight 1/1, meditation 3/3, mastermind 3/3, expanded mind 1/3, greed 4/4, wealth 2/2, strength of spirit 2/3, pickpocket 1/1, and intelligence 3/3.

My rune page has 7 ad marks, 7 attack speed seals, 7 ap glyphs, and 2 armor pen quints.
Given his style I felt this would squeeze out some high early game offense from him. It's my standard hybrid page.

Gear: After much thought I decided to go with frozen heart and banshee's veil for my standard defensive items, Boots would be my wild card item(most likely swiftness with home guard, and for general offense I went with; trinity(of course), Spirit of the elder lizard(once again seems a no brainer on him), and wits end(it synergises well with the other 2 by providing more auto attack dmg, it also provides more MR and attack speed).
Between heart and spirit and my masteries I'm just about capped on CDR, I have a good balance of hp and mana, a good amount of both Armor and MR, and a couple of strong defensive passives.
In early game I start with boots and 5 pots(3 health 2 mana, thanks to wealth), build catalyst and spirit early for sustain, go to sheen and glacial shroud or a null magic mantle depending on def needs, and start completing items after that. With the extra gold gain from the utility tree it should makes it faster to finish this build(or help me follow the build if I have to share CS with a lane partner).

Summoner spells: Well teleport and ghost seem the most useful for him, But I may go flash instead of teleport for some cross jungle ganking.

I've only gotten some vs bot game experience so far and it looks promising(as much as bot games allow anyway). I was close to completing my build by the 25 min mark. Of course practice and real game experience will tell the real story.

Please share your opinions and constructive criticism, Thanks for reading.

HOMO KPOP

02-01-2013

For the masteries, I think going 9/21/0 would be a lot better. And also, the attack speed runes should be replaced.

Instead of Trinity Force, you can also try Iceborn Gauntlets in some games. I like to run Iceborn against AD heavy teams, Trinity for AP heavy. I wouldn't go with Spirit of the Elder Lizard or Wit's End.

Hecarim isn't about Attack Speed, it's about smashing your Q key and being so tanky that the other team can't do **** about it. Instead of Spirit or Wit's End, if you really want more offense, I'd rather go with Tiamat to build into the new Hydra item or Hexdrinker. You're really not going to gain much from attack speed if you need to Q every few seconds.

that being said, wit's end is good for early + mid game only. beyond that, it's basically a waste imo.

Aqualisk

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by **** KPOP View Post
For the masteries, I think going 9/21/0 would be a lot better. And also, the attack speed runes should be replaced.

Instead of Trinity Force, you can also try Iceborn Gauntlets in some games. I like to run Iceborn against AD heavy teams, Trinity for AP heavy. I wouldn't go with Spirit of the Elder Lizard or Wit's End.

Hecarim isn't about Attack Speed, it's about smashing your Q key and being so tanky that the other team can't do **** about it. Instead of Spirit or Wit's End, if you really want more offense, I'd rather go with Tiamat to build into the new Hydra item or Hexdrinker. You're really not going to gain much from attack speed if you need to Q every few seconds.

that being said, wit's end is good for early + mid game only. beyond that, it's basically a waste imo.
This guy has it right. Tanky Hecarim is best and attack speed is not something you to build on him to be effective. Iceborn Gauntlet and Spirit Visage are imo the two best items you can build on this guy. Spirit Visage is amazing with his W and will allow you to survive a lot longer in team fights. Hecarim really only needs 1 damage in his build to become an unstoppable force in the late game.

HepatitisQ

02-01-2013

As Hecarim, you are a hardcore initiator with your ult, so you NEED to build him tanky. Iceborn and Spirit Visage are great, and make sure you get the Alacrity enchantment early since his AD can scale off his movement speed.

DeathsMentor

04-22-2013

As said by the others, Hec is a tanky initiator. AS is useless in my opinion and when i play i focus on sustain items to keep me in the fight/lane even longer. I personally am not a fan of Elder Lizard as it is decent but there are better suited items for a laner. My first item i get after start is boots, either ninja or Mercury depending on what your against. Then i build Iceborn Gauntlet for some nice def increase and buffing up my mana pool for my Q(the passive is very nice as well to keep the enemy within range for that extra second or two)Then i either go Warmog or Spirit Visage depending on if i want a big health boost or im up against a AP heavy team(the 20% CD is awesome to with his rampage stacks, seems like you can just spam it). Now if you find that AS is good for you, id build towards Zephyr and not Wit's End

Then it varies on what you are up against. If you want some nice offense with some sustain as well Ravenous Hydra looks very pretty. Trinity is really never a bad choice, as well as Randuin if your team is in need of a beefy tank. He has alot of options, couple others that pop in my head are Maw(i tend to get this often) black cleaver, and Atma's(i only go for this if i already have Warmog). That is the nice thing about Hecarim is that he actually has a few different avenues you can go depending on the enemy team. When i play though i almost always initiate the fights in late game so i go more def. Ult a couple of there champs so they fear towards your team, get in the middle of the fight with your Q stacked and pop your W and your looking pretty.

With your masteries and runes, i can see those being efficient but i go 1/26/3 (as i have said i go more tanky when playing Hec) and my runes i go mark of AP, seal of armor, glyph of MR, and quint of MS(this one can be debatable)

In the end though it is however you want to play him, Hecarim has a few different options which is why i love playing him.