To Nome, regarding the state of Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Junkie

01-31-2013

Nome: "The respawn mechanic could use some work, and does need to be looked at (when I have time), but you're silly if you don't think comeback mechanics aren't in Summoner's Rift."

I am not quite sure what could warrant the majority of your time other than one of the worst mechanics in the game mode. I think it has been a fairly unanimous consensus that it needs changing and should be a top priority.

There certainly are comeback mechanics in SR; in addition to spawn timer differentials there are objectives like the buffs, dragon and baron. I know you will liken these to the quest mechanic in Dominion, but I feel there is a difference between these. The buffs in SR spawn at set times and intervals. Teams have a very good sense of when to set up for which objective. This is not the case in Dominion where the quests feel random and often are not planned for in advance. I think we need to try to compare the two game modes as little as possible. They are not the same, they don't play the same.

Getting back to the issue of spawn timers, the reason this is such a huge issue is because of the wave respawn mechanic. There have been plenty of well thought out and agreed upon posts about why this is a problem. These have been made by respected high level Dominion players, if anyone knows what they are talking about it is them.

It is quotes like the one at the top of this post that make the Dominion player base feel like they are not listened to, or that the suggestions that they do make are not seriously considered.

For the better part of a year there have been no significant changes to Dominion other than the implementation of items intended for Twisted Treeline. If you are truly busy working on Dominion it would be nice to know exactly what is on your priority list. If you are busy working on projects other than Dominion, then I would suggest to Riot that they pick a person to work on Dominion who actually plays it and is passionate about it.

Having said all of that, I do appreciate the work and communication that you have done to this point. I understand that you are just one man and it is better than the absolute inaction that was taking place before.

Bma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

The main difference between the comeback mechanics in SR and Dom is pretty simple, one is punishing you for winning, whereas the other is punishing you for making mistakes.

There's literally nothing in Sr that punishes you for winning. Any time you get an objective or kill, that's gold and map control for you. Comeback mechanics lie in the fact that Dragon/Baron and Towers can provide a couple thousand gold worth of stats when you fight at that location, so the game isn't over if you're say, 5000 gold behind, giving you time to capitalise on enemy mistakes. If you don't make mistakes, then you will simply win. But that isn't possible, even for some of the top teams in the game, which is where SR comeback mechanics lie - towers and barons are hard to secure with a marginal gold lead, which gives breathing room for the losing team to outplay the winning team.

In Dominion, comeback mechanics lie in the fact that Quests are unfair when they spawn on the Windmill, the losing team will have an advantage if they only need to cap the windmill. Respawn timers are pretty unfair, there's not really that much counterplay to them, in all honesty. Basically, if you're losing, you get comeback mechanics because you're playing bad.

Tl;dr, SR's comeback mechanics lie in the fact that games aren't immediately over when a gold advantage is gained, and there is so much room for one team to make an error even with a lead. However, these errors are 100% controllable from the team. In dominion, comeback mechanics simply exist because you're playing badly and are losing. The winning team on Dominion cannot stop this, only try to mitigate the impact.

Kraogg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Seems riots pecking order is SR>TT>PG>Dom. I guess our combined wallet isn't big enough to warrant equal treatment as players. The support this game mode receives cant even be called okay, complete garbage may be the best way to describe it.

Bma

02-01-2013

Let's be real, the only thing we haven't gotten is a Ranked Queue.

Whereas Nome is regrettably very slow at addressing certain issues, he did in fact deliver on Teemo with Sweeper and Lightbringer. He has also stated that he is working on a Kassadin fix. Nome probably has a number of criteria that needs to be fulfilled to nerf Kassadin on Dominion it's not rly the easiest thing ever. There's also other OPs which are similarly difficult to nerf.

As for respawn and quest mechanics, these mechanics are probably necessary for the game mode, and it's not a simple 'remove them and everything is better'. In fact, removing them would presumably damage the game beyond repair, if not done properly.

HatLlama

02-01-2013

Just be glad he hasn't decided to port over Emerald Warden.