Champion Advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheProeliator

01-31-2013

I need advice on champions. I am a new player, but I have a couple hardcore friends and I have a solid number of games under my belt (I am still a newb though). I have been running with an AP Master Yi and I like him quite a bit, but I have not been getting a lot of champion kills. Is this to be expected with Master Yi? Also, is AP the right way to go, or should I maybe include some AD items? And finally, what other champions use his play style of quick strikes and kills? Thanks in advance!

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

keep in mind that AP master Yi is a hit or miss gimmick meant to be played with a full rune page and to be used against bad players and against team comps that cant handle that

TheProeliator

01-31-2013

Thus, why I am asking for advice. I am still pretty low level, so I do not have that kind of rune page at all. So would AD be a better way to go? I do like Yi and I would like to get proficient with him, although I am fine trying out new people.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProeliator View Post
Thus, why I am asking for advice. I am still pretty low level, so I do not have that kind of rune page at all. So would AD be a better way to go? I do like Yi and I would like to get proficient with him, although I am fine trying out new people.
Probably. AD is also kindof questionable especially without runes.

Yi himself is a very awkward but not unplayable champ. But this should help maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_oXaGZQMYA

TheProeliator

01-31-2013

What other good melee carries are there?

Greenlee19

01-31-2013

melee carries are not the way to go in current meta id suggest giving some of the fighters a try or maybe fiora after her buff whenever that happens

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

I prefer fiora

Cardboard Smurf

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProeliator View Post
Yi is a champion that tends to dominate the less skilled players and tends to work a lot worse against more skilled players who understand the mechanics of playing against him. I believe that is true for both AD and AP Yi, so if you want a fun champ to play at that level, play him. If not, you should find somebody with a "higher skill cap" because those champions are generally the ones played at higher levels.

TheProeliator

01-31-2013

What would a good champion be with that kind of playstyle (i.e. assassination, but still able to feed well).

Absolute 42

01-31-2013

AP Yi is all about the resets. He cleans house if he can reset. That means you wait until you know you can kill somebody with dfg + q + ignite, then you pop your ult and use your combo, getting a reset and hopefully another kill with another q, and the pain train keeps rolling.

So if you like that reset assassination style, Kat is your champion. Notable mention goes to Akali as well. In fact, you might really like Akali. A fed Akali is just about the scariest thing ever, especially for newer players.

Also, don't build Yi hybrid. You go full AD or full AP. AP Yi is better right now because melee carries are in a bad spot meta-wise.

Good items for AP Yi (in no real order): Athene's, Zhonya's, DFG, Rabadon's, Void Staff, Sorc. Boots