Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

akali setup question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ICStars77

10-23-2010

for anyone who's really good with akali, 2 quick questions. is adding atk damage to my rune page to get both passives worth losing mag pen? keeping in mind that I mainly play her on TT, is the additional spell vamp worth losing mag pen? not exactly sure on how much damage I would be losing so can't really give a numerical comparison.

other question is what are best summoner spells? I usually use ghost exhaust, but I've been thinking of using ignite, but for someone like akali who's such an assassin(ie either they're dead in seconds or you're doing it wrong) don't know if it even gets the benefit. Flash is another summoner spell I've been debating, but that would mean getting rid of ghost. worth it? what about heal for laning top for an easy first blood? haven't actually done this but wondering if anyone has and if it's worth it. Thanks all.

FAPTROCITY

10-23-2010

ghost and flash for the survivability, and if you want the two passives you need to get quits for the +2.23 dmg 2 of them and start with dorans....then rush a sheen. once you get sheen ignite is a waste because you already have a really good burst

ICStars77

10-23-2010

no you can get both passives through runes alone, just trying to figure out the best way to use said runes/if it's worth it/what items to start with and such. I just hate not having exhaust for when you find those trynds and such on TT

FAPTROCITY

10-23-2010

getting passives from runes alone is a waste

Saiyushu

10-26-2010

I'm an Akali main who plays her for ranked TT, feel free to add me in game if you have questions. (Even now, I take advantage of asking higher elo players for advice)

Quote:
for anyone who's really good with akali, 2 quick questions. is adding atk damage to my rune page to get both passives worth losing mag pen? keeping in mind that I mainly play her on TT, is the additional spell vamp worth losing mag pen? not exactly sure on how much damage I would be losing so can't really give a numerical comparison.

Depends on your item build. For the most part, you definitely want to activate both your passives, but you can do that without dmg marks as well, some common options are
  • Doran's Blade + 1 Dmg Quint + Offensive Masteries
  • Long Sword
  • Fortitude Pot then Pickaxe

For one of my akali builds, I use damage marks to trigger the passive, and then get the mpen back using items.

Quote:
other question is what are best summoner spells? I usually use ghost exhaust, but I've been thinking of using ignite, but for someone like akali who's such an assassin(ie either they're dead in seconds or you're doing it wrong) don't know if it even gets the benefit. Flash is another summoner spell I've been debating, but that would mean getting rid of ghost. worth it? what about heal for laning top for an easy first blood? haven't actually done this but wondering if anyone has and if it's worth it. Thanks all.

Summoner spells are a matter of preference.

Ignite is extremely useful, it lets you kill warwicks, olafs, mundos, etc... (any melee dps with lifesteal, or if there's a support character around. In addition, if you run out of essences of shadow, the ignite could make a difference. Lastly, ignite gives you 10 extra ap for the early game when it's on cooldown (with the mastery). I'm not saying ignite is the best summoner spell, but just simply showing that most summoner spells are viable and are a matter of preference.

Flash is extremely useful for juking, if you throw down a shroud, run out of it, then flash, you can often lose your pursuers. Also, in twisted treeline, with so many walls, flash is great for "wallhacking". Worth getting rid of ghost? Depends on you.

Heal is probably not as great of a choice, but still viable. It's one of the more underrated spells, you just need to remember to use it before you get ignited. Though you won't get an easy first blood against any decent player (they'll notice your heal), but it will probably give you a slightly easier laning phase. Against not so great players, this spell is amazing. Low elo 30s and most summoners below 30 get owned by this.

Medullaris

10-26-2010

Akali doesn't synergize well with the offense tree, too many wasted talents. (+crit, +as etc. are all worthless on her)

My build is probably not optimal, but I wind up going 9/21/0 and using 1 dmg quint plus 2 dmg marks (rest mpen) to get the +dmg passive with doran's blade. I experimented with using all dmg marks, but the problem is that if you do this you either have to grab haunting guise first (and both lose out on the extra health from doran's and forgo rushing sheen, which I normally do) or wait until later in the game to get your mpen. I think having the extra magic pen makes a bigger difference in early game damage than getting both passives at level 1, since akali can't really burst that well until she's got at least 3 points in q (level 5) anyway.

To get both passives at level 1 with just runes, you have to use flat ap, which are bad compared to ap/level runes. You could have both passives at level 5 with ap/lvl glyphs and 1 flat ap quint, I think. Since I go 9/21/0 I am not able to get improved ignite, so I go with exhaust instead.

S B

10-26-2010

I normally build her using 2 AD Quints and start the game with a Doran's Blade which gives you the +10 AD needed to activate the passive. For summoner spells its really up to you but I go Flash/Exhaust. I normally play Akali on SR though, I haven't touched TT in months.

Medullaris

10-26-2010

Quote:
S B:
I normally build her using 2 AD Quints and start the game with a Doran's Blade which gives you the +10 AD needed to activate the passive. For summoner spells its really up to you but I go Flash/Exhaust. I normally play Akali on SR though, I haven't touched TT in months.

Using 1 AD quint + 2 marks (now that the marks are 0.95 each) frees up another quint slot. I put a +32 hp in there, I would rather have the 32 extra health than 1.9 extra magic pen.

Saiyushu

10-26-2010

Quote:
Akali doesn't synergize well with the offense tree, too many wasted talents. (+crit, +as etc. are all worthless on her)

You are quite right, the defensive tree utilizes everything. However, for some of us, who play extremely aggressively, we prefer the offensive tree despite its shortcomings.

Quote:
My build is probably not optimal, but I wind up going 9/21/0 and using 1 dmg quint plus 2 dmg marks (rest mpen) to get the +dmg passive with doran's blade. I experimented with using all dmg marks, but the problem is that if you do this you either have to grab haunting guise first (and both lose out on the extra health from doran's and forgo rushing sheen, which I normally do) or wait until later in the game to get your mpen. I think having the extra magic pen makes a bigger difference in early game damage than getting both passives at level 1, since akali can't really burst that well until she's got at least 3 points in q (level 5) anyway.

Grabbing haunting guise early raises your burst by a lot. Try watching http://livestream.com/burninating if you want to see an example of it (1750 elo pro akali). He would've done better that round except I kinda KSed him a lot with sona (on accident) ^^"
Amazing stuff though, rushes alone into a crowd of 3, kills one, and escapes.

Quote:
To get both passives at level 1 with just runes, you have to use flat ap, which are bad compared to ap/level runes. You could have both passives at level 5 with ap/lvl glyphs and 1 flat ap quint, I think. Since I go 9/21/0 I am not able to get improved ignite, so I go with exhaust instead.

Not entirely, you can do it with only 3 flat ap quints, and 3 flat ap glyphs. (this also explains why some of us can do insane damage at level 1)

Though you definitely know what you're talking about and I'm not trying to contradict you per say, just adding some details.

Swiftstar88

10-27-2010

Depends on your Akali build. I run full AP with a Guinsoo's early on, so my rune page is fairly lenient. However, I like to activate the passive with 3 AD Quints and 1 AD Mark (with mastery points), and take Doran's Shield for my early survivability. However, I have not tried starting without the attack damage and just getting it from Guinsoo's (allowing for HP Quints, and thus no longer needing the Shield as much), and I have not tried Haunting Guise yet, but I agree it would be highly useful early game.

For summoner spells, I usually run Teleport/Ghost. Flash is useful as well (there are some neat combos you can pull with Shroud, Flash and a wall when being chased), but I find that I prefer the utility of Teleport much more (shroud + teleport > everything except a few stuns). Ignite's also good, however I find that I do enough damage without it.

I am still doing plenty of testing with the rune and item builds. It should always be an ongoing process, and you should be trying all kinds of things and seeing what works best for you.