Should Goth Annie be put up separately for a limited time?

Yes 2,570 66.39%
No 1,301 33.61%
Voters: 3871. You may not vote on this poll

Pros and Cons of Riot's "Goth Annie" Decision

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aphoristic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Ames, there has to be something that can be done to get limited skins into the hands of people who want them. I wasn't playing this game when some of them were available, so how is it fair to say I should never have a chance at some of them? I understand the need to keep the amount of them out there limited, but there are plenty of ways to do so. Skin trading would work aside from the part where people would charge outrageous prices for the skins. Tying the ability to obtain older limited skins to a loyalty program, or perhaps an achievements system would also keep the amount of people with the skins down but make them attainable.

If people who currently have the skins are not satisfied by a system that would put these skins back out there in limited quantities, they would be free to get a refund on them.

Highborne

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIComeFromDota2x View Post
no what you payed 3900rp for was a bunch of champs and runes. but than you got a shtty recolor skin that now looks good and you are being a total aszhat about. 10$ rp card says you are not over the age of 18.
Exactly, fair is fair, reverse the visual change to that skin only and leave them with the old **** model.

That is what they paid for after all.

Spectre4802

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iueras View Post
You are making the same mistake Hipp did: confusing people yelling on the forums with feedback that actually MATTERS. Really, how many people outside of the ones that screamed here about the sale would have actually cared? The downvotes it got are nothing compared to the millions of people that play. The skin sale affected a very small subset of league players: Those who both already HAD the skin, and out of those, those who actually cared it was going to be in the store for a week. To use your example, the BC issue was a MUCH bigger problem. You had people complaining on forums, sure, so superficially it appears the same, but here is the key difference: that issue affected everyone who played against any character that built cleavers, which was just about every damn game. See what I'm getting at?
So at what point do you start listening? After two days of forum rage? After a few reasonsble, well thought out - but still negative - critiques of your plan?

If you say "let's do something!" and the first response you get - the mojority response within the hour, in this case - is an overwhelming "DON'T YOU DARE", if you choose to wait it out you run the risk of those Overwhelming Reponse people organising molotov's.

Metaphorically. Hopefully.

What I'm trying to say is, they saw the beginnings of a ****storm and put a stop to it. Was it a false positive? Probably - I can't see the problem myself, but I don't really play Annie not have I invested in this big Bundle.

Point is, Riot saw this to be a potential problem and put a stop to it before it could've gone any farther. I disagree with the idea that this was the wrong course of action.

What I'm a little iffy about, though, is that nobody involved (apparently) forsaw this a being a problem. Surely it must've crossed someone's mind that putting a previously 'exclusive skin' up for grabs was going to upset some people.

ThisNameDoesntFi

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
I think asking for anyone to get fired is in bad taste, especially over something like this. I'd rather we tried things and failed than never tried at all. You may disagree- but that leads to some really boring places.

As far as your post goes, I wouldn't expect there to be a way to get Goth Annie outside of the bundle.
there really should be a way though, why not just pull something similar to what was done with legendary skins, put her on sale for a day (975 or 1350) and refund people for all the champs they already owned in the pack when they bought it.

A short sale would help keep it special, and the refund would allow you too remove the old bundle, and make Goth Annie totally unobtainable after the short lived sale, and make a new bundle worth the same with newer champions and a new exclusive skin, this is what i would do anyways.

the only problem i see with that is for the people who bought the bundle for the champions instead, but is that really a problem since the money would have been well spent to them? I'm not sure.

The problem right now i think is that people (like me) just want the skin and not all the extra stuff that comes with it, but people who already bought it still want to feel special in having it for the price they got it at and they should.

there has to be a way to make both parties happy here!

Hexenir

02-01-2013

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think this situation has shown that adding things to unobtainable skins is more harmful than helpful.
sigh.

I really don't want to go back to this again but...

It's not unobtainable. It just costs 4k RP.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

02-01-2013

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think this situation has shown that adding things to unobtainable skins is more harmful than helpful.
I'm not sure that is what should be taken away from this, although I am a bit biased of course. Adding things to unobtainable skins doesn't anger people -- I think it is more a way of giving thanks to people who supported Riot back in the day.

Most of the anger comes from confusion over different expectations and ideas. The way Goth Annie was marketed was that she would only be available through the collector's pack. Therefore people purchased it with that idea in mind. When that notion changes people get confused and then frustrated and angry.

Did people get angry when Bewitching Nidalee got bat particles? I never saw any overwhelming negativity towards that decision.

Zero

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre4802 View Post
What I'm a little iffy about, though, is that nobody involved (apparently) forsaw this a being a problem. Surely it must've crossed someone's mind that putting a previously 'exclusive skin' up for grabs was going to upset some people.
That I agree with. It's been talked about for weeks here and there with people wanting Goth Annie with the new PBE VU and a lot of opposition was expressed in those threads. They must have been overlooked.

Vilyra

02-01-2013

Here I go.

The art team was given Annie to play with, and they did an awesome job. This is fact.

Now many people love her new art and really want to hand money to riot to take a piece of the art team's work and dedication to excellence. I am one of those people.

(But the art team sucks, look at DT Lulu and new Kayle!)
Now now, I have both, and sure, I don't think they're amazing, but you can definitely see the subtle things that the art team did to make these great. I gave my money to get them because of this.

Now I understand that people are mad because their "exclusive" is at risk for becoming less so. And you know what? I have Silver Kayle (unobtainable since the disk is no longer sold) as well as Zombie Brand. If these skins went on to the shop you wouldn't find me the least bit upset. These skins are great, and I'd love to see the people who would use them, do so.

I think the art team deserves the respect to have their work shown off more, even if it means i lose exclusivity on some of my skins. You guys put in a ton of effort and when I see "limited" "exclusive" all i really see is "will not be seen often".

so let's all stop bickering and show some love. If you have a rare skin, why does it bother you? You should be glad more people will see it. If you don't have it, why shouldn't you be allowed to have it?

TL;DR : Support the art team, I have rare skins and wouldn't care if people had access to them too. It saddens me to think that good artistic design would see less facetime because of "exclusivity"

iueras

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highborne View Post
The problem is ARAM is not following its own rules.

The random part should choose from all champs in the game, thus, random.

Not "All Pseudo-Random-Limited All Mid" as it stands now.

As you point out, players can game the system by having few champs available, giving them a better chance of getting a champ they want/is awesome in ARAMs compared to the other players who have more champs.

Ie why is it random at all?

Thus, the game is improperly coded.
Ah I think I see. You are upset that it doesn't work like you think (and I agree to a point) it should. But acting like people that play lots of ARAM DON'T limit their pool for just this reason is naive. And if you CAN do it to get an advantage, people WILL do it, and if you don't you are hurting yourself and your teammates. Pulling from the free champ rotations helps keep it in balance, ensuring that at least some people are gonna get champs that they suck with or suck at ARAM. It's still fun, even when I do get champs I don't know how to play or whatever, I just don't want champs I absolutely HATE playing permanently on my list for it. Make sense?

Highborne

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
I'm not sure that is what should be taken away from this, although I am a bit biased of course. Adding things to unobtainable skins doesn't anger people -- I think it is more a way of giving thanks to people who supported Riot back in the day.

Most of the anger comes from confusion over different expectations and ideas. The way Goth Annie was marketed was that she would only be available through the collector's pack. Therefore people purchased it with that idea in mind. When that notion changes people get confused and then frustrated and angry.

Did people get angry when Bewitching Nidalee got bat particles? I never saw any overwhelming negativity towards that decision.
They paid for the old model.

The new one made it not ****.

People want the new one.

Thus the whole argument of exclusive is thrown right out the door, everyone should be able to get this skin now for the price of a skin.