Should Goth Annie be put up separately for a limited time?

Yes 2,570 66.39%
No 1,301 33.61%
Voters: 3871. You may not vote on this poll

Pros and Cons of Riot's "Goth Annie" Decision

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tolfor

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Rook View Post
Ames, if you don't mind me asking(and maybe you're not the one to ask about this) is there any way that Silver Kayle will ever get a looking at since right now it doesn't have different particles or anything that really makes it feel like it should be a limited skin only obtainable from a bundle?
Unfortunately, I think this situation has shown that adding things to unobtainable skins is more harmful than helpful.
Ames, I want to touch on this for a minute - when I first started playing League of Legends in November of 2009, I knew that I wanted to kick everything off by picking up one of the collector packs.

After realizing that the only difference between physical and digital was whether I got Silver Kayle or Goth Annie, I chose to get the physical copy because frankly, Goth Annie was extremely ugly back then (and remained so until the visual update announcement a few weeks ago).

Now, having had Silver Kayle updated into... nothing special (it's Kayle with silver and blue instead of gold and red) and Goth Annie updated into this awesome skin with a unique Tibbers, unique spell effects, etc., I feel pretty let down knowing that the limited skin I originally chose is pretty much objectively inferior to the one that used to look really gross, and according to what you just said, will (because of the backlash on this proposed sale) never be updated again to match its counterpart in terms of awesome level.

Are you saying definitively that this was the lesson Riot took away from this experience (that making limited edition skins awesome during visual updates is dangerous) or was that just a guess - which I hope is proven wrong?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IGamer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iueras View Post
Strawman. By that logic they should not make any skins at all. The entire purpose of a skin is to be unique (just like everyone else!). Event skins like that should be exclusive for say 6 months, MAYBE a year, then released into the store for purchase. That gives the epeeners a while to lord it over everyone else, without leaving people who maybe couldn't afford to go to PAX but can afford a skin a chance for some cool looking stuff.
Strawman.

Isn't that why they sell Pax skin codes on ebay, auction sites, or forums related to LoL? If you type in "Pax skin codes LoL" in ebay, you would get at least 30 or even 100 results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culgrim View Post
I honestly have nothing better to do at this hour.
<3 XD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sturmhard

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Oh, sure, I'd change things- but I feel that way about a bunch of our content releases. I think there's merit in asking the community what they think about things and letting it sit for a while, but there are also times when we need to make decisions and commit to those.

For now, though, the learning experience matters. I work with the Relaunch team so a better understanding of how players feel about old skins that we're updating tells me quite a bit. Some of what it tells me is how we should spend our limited resources(IE, people)- adding VFX, etc, to skins (especially ones that you can't buy anymore) is a losing deal.

If you bought the skin, hopefully you knew what you were buying. We don't need to add more, because we're already exceeding expectations by updating that skin for free. We're better served by moving on to the next champion, because most players actually do benefit from that.
.
so this is where you lost me. basically you are saying, "ok....we are butthurt now and since you dont let us sell upgraded exclusive skins, screw yourself and we are especially excluding you guys from future visual upgrades."

as good as your handling of the situation was for now.............this is simply not what i expect from a company that i supported with loads of RP when it was not as big as it is now. i'm disappointed. very much.

dont understand me wrong, that you updated all the skins is awesome, but it is very much NOT awesome to not do it anymore. implies that money is the gold standard here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexus Crawler

Senior Member

02-01-2013

First off let me say I don't play Annie, or own the skin and have no desire to either start playing her or purchase the skin so I'm pretty neutral on the matter.

But as in 99% of cases I think compromise would be the key. What if Goth Annie did go on a limited sale, say 3 days instead of 10 at a increased price from the 975 rp. Say a 3 day weekend sale, for 1350 (precedent set by Dragon Tamer Lulu). This would still afford the people who really wanted her the option of getting her while the people that bought the bundle (or the majority) would actually profit from it due to them getting champions and a 1350 skin for free.

Also as I saw suggested by the OP a slight variation on the original bundle skin (such as having the bundle skin "autographed") could help distinguish the bundle buyers (who's major concern is they feel like they're not elite/exclusive) while still affording the people who are more interested in the skin/art the chance to have it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerSundays View Post
How about, they keep Goth Annie, and Give me greeen fire on Frankentibbers? See how the Goth crowd reacts. =)
Wouldn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrbargl View Post
It has no value. You can't resell it, or get any tangible benefit out of it. It's just a fancy dress for a little girl in a video game, and a lot of drama over other virtual little girls wearing the same outfit.
Sentimental value. It was a thanks given for supporting Riot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gofduh

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Here we go THIS is the thread we should have had all along. I greatly appreciate you coming in here and talking to everyone.

That being said. I don't have a problem with the skin sale so to speak I have more of an issue of how it happened, and then the knee jerk reaction.

Best thing I can say is for each of those bundle skins remake the artwork on em and spruce em up. To do such a great job on the annie rework but not doing as well with the kayle way back when.

Never the less thanks for coming in here and talking to the community.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rinto

Senior Member

02-01-2013

It's not like the skin is the only thing in the bundle. Nobody's getting cheated. The bundle gave you a bunch of stuff. The problem is that I already own most of that stuff. Forcing me to buy a bundle of things that they already own is cheating me out of money. I think a temporary release of the skin was a great idea, and I wish riot hadn't changed their mind.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StonerSundays

Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Wouldn't care.


Sentimental value. It was a thanks given for supporting Riot.
Because you don't own Frankentibbers. But if they stripped the color from Goth and changed Frankentibbers instead, you'd be all mad and raging.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolfor View Post
Now, having had Silver Kayle updated into... nothing special (it's Kayle with silver and blue instead of gold and red) and Goth Annie updated into this awesome skin with a unique Tibbers, unique spell effects, etc., I feel pretty let down knowing that the limited skin I originally chose is pretty much objectively inferior to the one that used to look really gross, and according to what you just said, will (because of the backlash on this proposed sale) never be updated again to match its counterpart in terms of awesome level.
I'm still holding out hope that one day it'll at least get new particles.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nisuma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivini View Post
Before the VU, Goth Annie was atrocious so no one cared.
After the VU, it's much more appealing and for many it's her best skin now, which also unfortunately flared up anyone with special snowflake syndrome.

When Sivir gets her VU, there isn't going to be as big of an issue as for Goth Annie because, like I said a moment ago, Huntress Sivir isn't a simple recolor. The skin's transformation therefore won't be so dramatic from the original.

In other words, a turd changed into a diamond suddenly became highly desirable to older players. A silver nugget changed into a gold nugget won't create as much of a stir.
This is a bit late due to class and stuff.

VU aside if this was just a new Annie skin, which it practically is, it would be the exact same thing as when Huntress Sivir was when it was released. A brand new skin with no way to get it other than buy the bundle. There was no special treatment for people who wanted that skin but already owned most or all of the bundle. Why should this be any different?