Why do capture points attack like Towers?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NamKim

01-31-2013

It gives Rioters a chance to show off their animation skills

But like it was said above, it gives the defenders an advantage. There has been times when I could 2v1 people under my tower and win easily since all I had to do is stay under my tower and kite the melee bruisers. Without that turret, I would have lost those fights. When two people are attacking you under a tower, one person will probably channel the tower to prevent it from firing. So, it turns uneven situations more fair for the defender.

Think about SR. Technically towers don't have to attack. But because it does, it changes the strategies of people. You need to think before you tower dive. You sometimes don't attack the enemy champion near the tower to avoid tower aggro and instead attack the tower itself. Back when I played SR a lot, I mained support. Sometimes my ADC would make a dumb mistake and died. Staying under my tower prevented the enemies from attacking me under my turret. My very first triple kill was as a Soraka by taking advance of the armor buff and my tower's attack.

kavi

02-01-2013

The turret mechanic exists in Dominion for the same reasons it exists in SR. The turrets (or capture points) are your "permanent" objectives. Killing champions and minions are means to those objectives. Champions always respawn (albeit weaker compared to their opponent), but a tower, once destroyed, remains destroyed - and a cap, once capped, eats precious points off the opponent's nexus.

Now consider if the points did not "defend themselves". In this event, the zone of control exerted by a team would be almost entirely champion-based. The margin of victory would be almost entirely based on a person's skill in even battles.

This is a good thing, right? Well, it could be, but that's not how most pvp games work. Most games aren't simply about dueling - they are about creating tactical advantages and overcoming disadvantages for your team.

Turrets ennable this by introducing a terrain-based dimension - fixed points of the map which offer a defender an advantage. Other games, like fps games, create this same dimension simply by having free targeting and more elaborate structures (eg walls and windows). LoL is not that much different, except instead of a wall, you have a moat. Filled with lava.

If you deprive a game of this complexity, it basically is just a shootout. Generally, such games are not as fun (at least for adults) since there is dramatically less risk/reward involved (as NamKim above points out).

Risk/reward is crucial to the "human element" of a game. We always *want* to attack - there are few things more fun than going berserk when you're super-fed (except for crazy people like me that main support). Creating advantages for defenders opens up tactical complexities for the attacker. One must ask questions such as, How much do I want that kill? What do we need to sacrifice to get that cap point? What is the ideal timing for this attack?

All this encourages people to work together and makes the game more fun, in my opinion. So fire away, towers!

TempNam325rwe5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Except they're not like towers because the tower damage reduction mastery doesn't work on the Crystal Scar.

Warlord Buwberry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Well by god, If it wasn't for that tower i could've killed dat pesky teemo. It is clearly Barrack Obama's fault for those op towers.