How to Make Darius More Fun for Everyone

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonefishingX View Post
Darius is easily one of leagues most frustrating champions to play against which can be seen with people claiming him to be overpowered at least once a week. He utterly dominates blind pick games and games where the players have moderate skill. This is due to his low skill cap and the way his kit works.

Everyone understands that he feeds off the positioning mistakes of others. Even the smallest of positioning errors can result in a death when laning against Darius. This is why he is so dominant against moderately skilled players and even some more veteran players who still make enough positioning errors for Darius to capitalize on. But once you get to higher ranked matches his use becomes a rare occurrence due to the fact that ranked games are draft pick and positioning errors are a rarer occurrence.

So what Darius's current kit creates is a Champion who feels overpowered for newer players and almost underpowered for veterans. This makes Darius incredibly poorly designed. Numerous threads have been made about how awful he is, but I haven't found one that looks into ways to make Darius preform more evenly across all game types and against all skill levels. I think it would be nice if this thread became a think tank on ways to improve Darius from the perspective of the players rather than the devs.

The most important thing that needs fixing is Darius's Ultimate. Noxian Guillotine is currently a poorly designed ability. This is not because it does tons of damage, it is instead because it always rewards players for using it. Every ability in the game has a side effect for using the ability poorly but with Noxian Guillotine even if you don't get an auto refresh you still deal tons of damage no matter who its on. The ability even goes so far as to promote bad habits in players. It rewards kill stealing and spamming without any thought as to the target.

A way to fix it would be to instead of having Noxian Guillotine refresh after a kill it would instead have the ability's cooldown be reduced to ten seconds with cooldown reduction. This wouldn't hamper his ability to lane against a single opponent but it will make him slightly more vulnerable to ganks. The most important impact of this small change is that it would require the Darius player to think about who he should use Noxian Guillotine on. A ten second cooldown is long enough to make the ability useable only once and at best twice per team fight. Making a good Darius player save it for turning a bad team fight around or cleaning up someone who was about to escape rather than spamming it on who ever is weakest without any regard to the value of the target.

Other suggestions are making the Apprehend animation better reflect the actual distance and putting a cap on the number of things it can pull based on level. This would increase the skill required to use the ability effectively in lane and not hamper its effectiveness in the late game and in team fights.
A well written, actually logically thought-out post. Inaccurate in a few points, but by far the most intellectual thing I have ever read regarding changing Darius. So there IS intelligent life out there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminBeer View Post
Get ready for downvotes lots of Darius supporters here
Of course, there has to be THIS guy that makes me fear for the number of intelligent life forms.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonefishingX View Post
A way to fix it would be to instead of having Noxian Guillotine refresh after a kill it would instead have the ability's cooldown be reduced to ten seconds with cooldown reduction. This wouldn't hamper his ability to lane against a single opponent but it will make him slightly more vulnerable to ganks. The most important impact of this small change is that it would require the Darius player to think about who he should use Noxian Guillotine on. A ten second cooldown is long enough to make the ability useable only once and at best twice per team fight. Making a good Darius player save it for turning a bad team fight around or cleaning up someone who was about to escape rather than spamming it on who ever is weakest without any regard to the value of the target.

Other suggestions are making the Apprehend animation better reflect the actual distance and putting a cap on the number of things it can pull based on level. This would increase the skill required to use the ability effectively in lane and not hamper its effectiveness in the late game and in team fights.
So we make darius more fun by nerfing him and making apprehend easier to flashdodge? Where's the part where he becomes fun or did you just want to make baddies hate playing him so you wouldnt get E-teabagged every single time they finally manage to kill you or everytime they dunk you if you yourself are bad

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMyBassCannon View Post
A well written, actually logically thought-out post. Inaccurate in a few points, but by far the most intellectual thing I have ever read regarding changing Darius. So there IS intelligent life out there...
What the **** are you talking about? All I saw was smooth talk circling around to the same old bull****.

Darius hurts, nerf plox.

I would like a change to the animation for probably his most critical ability, the only thing that keeps him playable at all, though.. His pull

Keitterman

01-31-2013

Darius is completely fine as he is. At least when he snowballs in to unstopppable, it's because you did it. There's some champs that if a game goes to long, they win. darius is not that. if you screw up constantly, darius obviously wins, where as other champs it can be subtle. Like Akali. You may not have noticed that you fed her and kept feeding her, and at the end of the game you go "Akali op!" and never acknowledge that you or a teammate fed her and/or refused to deal with her correctly in team fights. That's the same with darius. If he stomps you, and you were able to watch the replays, you'd probably see very clearly why he did it, and it's your fault.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
What the **** are you talking about? All I saw was smooth talk circling around to the same old bull****.
Yeah, but he spoke really pretty words, and at least managed to sound much more intelligent than the real QQ, and I figure I may as well quit constantly berating every single person who complains about Darius since they pop up faster than whatever relevant weed or vermin you can name.

And it IS true that Darius is poorly designed, seeing he's horrible against anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together, and a demigod otherwise.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmybasscannon View Post
yeah, but he spoke really pretty words, and at least managed to sound much more intelligent than the real qq, and i figure i may as well quit constantly berating every single person who complains about darius since they pop up faster than whatever relevant weed or vermin you can name.

And it is true that darius is poorly designed, seeing he's horrible against anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together, and a demigod otherwise.
berate him at once, smite him with... Stuff

JustMyBassCannon

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
berate him at once, smite him with... Stuff
I dunno, just don't quite feel like smiting people with words. I think I must have gotten ice crystals in my brain or something.

Sogreth

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnack View Post
His skill is an execution that deals true damage. You use it on low HP targets. That's who you use it on.
You don't even need to use it on low health targets, it deals huge amounts of damage anyways. There is NO REASON this skill needs a refresh on kill AND deal true damage.

Cho'gath doesn't get a refresh after getting a kill, Cait's ult doesn't deal true damage and she doesn't get a refresh on kills. Garen doesn't get a refresh and his deals Magic damage would is the complete opposite of what type of champ he is, no Garen is going to build Magic Pen.

They at least need to cap his refresh, maybe only give him 1 free refresh, so he can only use it twice per fight. This would also stop him from hoarding all the gold to himself which is a problem that a lot of people complain about.

JustMyBassCannon

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogreth View Post
You don't even need to use it on low health targets, it deals huge amounts of damage anyways.
Played a Lux game last night, Darius never once managed to KO me with his ultimate. Either a teammate got the kill, or I killed him and survived every time.

So yeah, you DO need to use it on a low-health target.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMyBassCannon View Post
Played a Lux game last night, Darius never once managed to KO me with his ultimate. Either a teammate got the kill, or I killed him and survived every time.

So yeah, you DO need to use it on a low-health target.
counter bruiser bruiser lux defeats darius with her swag alone. Add lazers and he is hopeless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDTzqxDUNg

123456 ... 8