"Justified" Rage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EndOmega

01-31-2013

So this may come across as a bit of an odd question but seeing as how I just skipped a case because I didn't really know how to react to it.

The case only had 3 reports over 2 games, the first game being 1 report from a teammate which in reading the chat log proved to be a BS report, and the second game was two Negative Attitude reports from the enemy team with an added comment of "Kept complaining in all chat all game", which was only half true.

The tricky part though is the situation the player was placed in. From the chat log this much could be taken: at least 2 players admitted to playing drunk, and said players were not participating with the team.

While the reported players attitude is TECHNICALLY against the Summoners Code because he WAS raging, it seems a bit unfair to punish someone for this situation, particularly since the amount of reports in the case against him are so small?

What do you do when you see something like this? According to the Code you should punish him because it's a correct report, but...

PenguinKillBear

01-31-2013

I think it really depends on the situation. Its hard to say without seeing the case itself, but I tend to hold the Riot principle of no retaliation pretty high on my list of things I look for.
Questions I would ask myself:
1) is this player negative?
2) is it apparent from the chat log that the player attempted to be reasonable and eventually snapped
3) how severe were the actions of the other players
4) was this game alone, given that the first game was erroneous reporting, enough to punish this player

imerzan

01-31-2013

If 1 report was bogus and the other report was half-true I probably would have leaned towards a pardon if it was such a small incidence. Depends on the severity though.

Fudouri

01-31-2013

Judge how you feel. The rest will play out based on mob rule (or non troll: crowd sourcing).

I personally say don't skip.

You had a feeling (this is unfair to the reportee), you should pardon.

TastyBeeBurgers

01-31-2013

Personally, I agree that getting upset is an understandable reaction to getting put into a bad situation. Trying to say otherwise is like trying to teach the toaster to love. It isn't going to help and in the end it's just an act of futility.

However, there are a few things to consider.
First: How much rage? (I think my English teacher just rolled over in her grave just now) Is this person going ape **** over someone feeding? Is it proportionate? If they react to having to try out a different meta with "**** YOU NOOBS!" Then punish should be considered even if their team was being inflexible jackasses.

Secondly: Who were they ruining the game for? If they are shouting at their team becuase their team is trolling them that might be considered justified. Maybe not the best way to handle a situation, but justifiable. If they are spamming it in the /all chat. Not so much. Constantly spamming: "Report my team for trolling. Getting trolled. ****ing troll nobs." They're ruining the game for everyone and just feeding into the problem.

And then there's the other team mates who may or may not have done anything who have to sit there and listne to that stuff. They, like the person you're judging, were just trying to play a freindly game, and now they've got trolls and ragers to deal with.

Lastly: If you're raging, you aren't playing. If you're standing there typing out a hudnred words a minute, you're probably not playing. In fact, odds are your champ is doing their idle animation, while you break your keyboard. Effectively this means you've decided to stop playing to rant at your team.

All that said, I agree with Fudouri. If you thought it should be a pardon, then pardon. It isn't fair to that person to get punished becuase the people who would have pardoned decided to skip. In a few days, this should show up in your justuice review and you can post it here and see what happened.

Llesh

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOmega View Post
What do you do when you see something like this? According to the Code you should punish him because it's a correct report, but...

Well no report, but the way I go about a case like that... if you believe the first case was a false report, drop it from mind and move on, it is now a case of 2 reports in 1 game... although often a game that is included has something in it to give a clue about the other cases...

Moving on to the 2nd case... people have different views on things so take that into consideration when you think negative attitude... also the reporter does not have a report with all the info you do, they just played a game, supposedly it was a bad experience, and lasted about 20 mins +/- a lot... their idea of how long something was going on is a feeling they had and not necessarily fact, u can see the time stamps, not them... know that the person felt it went on for excessively long, and see if you agree....

Next, you mention that 2 players were drunk, I dont see much relevance to that... if they were rude, insulting, or playing badly.. then they were rude, insulting or playing badly... being drunk does not change that, but saying someone is drunk does not make them into a bad person, it makes them inebriated... How were they not participating? Without knowing this it makes it VERY hard to decide anything... if by not participating you mean not playing the meta thats one thing, and if you mean they were writing out their names with wards that is a different kind of not participating....if you are unsure about punishing think about those things, but it is never wrong to skip a case you are unsure of...

Now...

That being said since you mentioned that the reported summoner was raging, was technically violating the Code as you view it, why would you not punish them? In my mind it is the rager who was reported so focus on what they did... out of the 10 people playing, did the rager make this game a bad experience for other people? I think you should look at all the info as it molds your decision but you need to think about what you are punishing for, are you punishing the 2 drunks who did not participate, or are you judging the person who raged...

TL/DR: judge the one who is reported

TrojanHorse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

I believe that there is never a "justified" reason to rage. I've noticed a common thread between people who get reported: they all believe it is the fault of someone else's poor play or behavior that they play our behave badly.

I don't care how much they may have "deserved" it, that's what mute/report is for.

SlitYourWrist

01-31-2013

Cases like this are why the Pardon button exists. Next time nut up and press it instead of pussing out and hitting Skip.

SlitYourWrist

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I believe that there is never a "justified" reason to rage. I've noticed a common thread between people who get reported: they all believe it is the fault of someone else's poor play or behavior that they play our behave badly.

I don't care how much they may have "deserved" it, that's what mute/report is for.
Kill yourself in real life, please.

PenguinKillBear

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlitYourWrist View Post
Kill yourself in real life, please.
oh good, you're back.