Digi-art entry (diana)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nidken

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGN View Post
The mask appears metallic cause you kept it very monotone of only grey with no ambience of color from the surrounding environment.
you are a genius

Daemon

02-01-2013

Here! I'll help because Diana is my favorite champion.

1. Did you use any stock photos or brushes from Deviant Art? The moon looks kind of like a stock photo. The reason I ask is because you have to own everything you use or at least have permission to use it. Most brushes/stock photos are not free for use. Check to make sure it's free-for-use.

2. Put a strap on the mask and a flowing ribbon so it looks tied on. It'll make it more understandable that she's wearing Liandry's Torment. The icon has a yellow strap, so there!

3. Glowing eyes would be cool, but not necessary.

4. Make the mask really bright white. It'll contrast with the rest of the picture and make it pop out more. Make her hair a yellowish tone, because it's actually light blonde and then it'll be easier to differentiate her mask and her hair.

There are some artifacts on her shoulderplates and a missing chunk on her arm. You should probably fix that.

6. The arm holding the khopesh needs to be thicker. Your muscles expand when reaching back and Diana's arms are not stick thin (like Caitlyn or Janna, for example).

Scodo

02-01-2013

If you want to avoid the mask looking metallic, look up some reference of how light interacts with different materials, like enamel, and base your paint like that. Another could way to accent the fact it's a mask is to get some more dramatic planes and angles, and stick more closely to the original liandry's torment icon.

Rowanoake

02-01-2013

I am also a fan of Diana, and I really love seeing talented fan art like this. ^_^

i like her pose a lot. it's subtle. at first i saw it and thought "huh, ok, she's just standing there." but the more I looked at it, the eerier it got. I noticed that she was reaching and drawing her weapon. I noticed that she wasn't even slightly turning to mayyyybe run away. she's coming for me. slowly, calmly, and inevitably. and i got creeped out. it's really good.

since "creeped out" was my reaction, the suggestions i have are to try and emphasize that feeling in the picture. if that's not the direction you want it to go, that's cool and you ignore most of my suggestions. i think you should emphasize how afraid the viewer should be. here's how I would go about doing that:

1. i *love* that you used colors instead of going for a "shades of black" thing which is what most of my Diana art turns into. so what i'd want to see is more contrast between the colors, you have a very soft style (example, how her hair blends into the wind *swoon!*), so even if you only add a few harsh shadows the effect would be a lot more stark.

2. I like that she's wearing the mask in your drawing. someone mentioned "football eyes" before, and I want to say I don't think it's wrong for the mask to have very stylized eyes. it's what a mask would look like. what I think you should do, if you can, is try to draw her natural eyes *behind* the mask. Diana's eye makeup and intense gaze is so distinctive, I think it could only strengthen your drawing if you could do that.

3. in the shop image for Liandry's, the shape of the mask has a windows-peak kind of dip at the top. i think it would make the item a lot more recognizable for that aspect to be present, and would also give you an opportunity to include her Lunari forehead symbol.

4. you obviously spent a lot of time and energy perfecting the details on Diana, but i think your background needs to show the same amount of attention. a full moon casts long and dark shadows, and Diana knows it. to continue with my desire to enhance the creepiness factor, i think you should try to make the ice super jagged. make the environment look as hostile as she does.

I would really like to see you post as you keep working on this! i really really like it. ^_^

Paul9022

02-03-2013

It seems really nice there are a few things that kind of bug me though (take these comments with a grain of salt because i am not an artist in any way i just like looking at art).

1. the mask seems to be more silver then porcelain and i think that makes it blend more than pop out

2. the arm holding the sword seems bent back more that is possible

however

1. the back story is not only interesting and potent but also comes across really well

2. i like the blurred background even though it is a little hard to make it out because it seems to represent to me Dianna trying to forget her old life and the solari who scorned her

good luck in the contest

DreadnaughtXER0

02-04-2013

creepy cool dude

Nidken

02-05-2013

bumping.

DanRileyCG

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidken View Post
bumping.
Looking good, like the updates.