Digi-art entry (diana)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nidken

01-31-2013

I still have about a week from now until the entry is due, so I need you guys to help me:

1. I require your constructive criticism.
2. Tell me what you think is happening in the picture. (this way I know you are able to understand the idea)

NOTE: SHE IS WEARING LIANDRY'S TORMENT!!!!

-----------------
clarification. it seems my picture is hard to understand.
I'm hoping if I give this information your understanding will increase.

now - I'm only 14. So I'm fairly new to digital painting. I don't do any art classes besides art at school which doesn't extensively cover any digital art topics or anything about light or anatomy, the subject only lightly floats over some famous artists and whatnot. Not very helpful.

Because of this, I have to guess. The majority of the time I was painting this, I was guessing. Almost completely clueless. I would grab an entire array of reference and study it closely, wondering how to paint it, what brush etc. - I compare it to maths. Your given a question, the answer, and a calculator. Now you must find the working out, or how to answer a similar question. It will take a very long time, a lot of guessing, observing and luck to figure it out. If you have a teacher, then they will explain how the working out is done, i don't have that. This is my problem.

IF you want to know what's happening in the picture, its pretty simple.

Mount Targon. She trudges firmly as a delicate shower of snow rests upon her shoulders. The moon shines a vivid blue, and lights her path. She dares not to look back at the destruction in which she has laid. The people she once knew, were no longer important to her. And only a mask is able to cover the sadness that refuses to stop clawing inside of her.

ie. Diana is walking away from a broken city of solari, one she has destroyed. She is wearing the mask (liandrys torment) to hide her identity and sadness. She prepares for season 3 by slaughtering the people who betrayed her

UPDATE: changed arm position, starting to re-refine sword and hair. and i gotta move the moon down cause u cant see it no more

DanRileyCG

01-31-2013

Some things that stand out to me:

1. I don't know whats happening besides her standing/approaching the camera (us), and reaching back for her sword. I don't get the background.

2. It looks as though you hid her hands because you didn't want to deal with drawing them, I see this all the time. Try to refrain from doing this, look at picture of a hand in the pose you want to draw it in.

3. I'm not really seeing a new item here. You want the point of the picture to be easily read, that is, what the characer is doing, and what item you are showcasing. It's not a good thing if you have to sit and stare at the picture trying to find something that may/may not be in it.

4. I like the color scheme, the blues, greens and purples are nice.

5. I'd like to see the detail become less "foggy." It looks like I'm looking at your piece through a pair of glasses that aren't right for my eyes. The features, color, and detail are blurred looking. Make the details, and coloring crisp.

Good luck man, it's a good WIP.

JKGN

01-31-2013

needs just a touch more contrast. If you're trying to generate "interest points" in the background, that moon tower needs to be a touch more visible even if it is obscured by the snow.

I agree with delkin, she's just moving toward the viewer with her sword ready in hand. I don't see her "prep for season3".

good blue color motif. again. just needs more shading on diana to make her more three dimensional in depth

Scodo

01-31-2013

The bad:

1. You've got a bad case of football eyes, eyes are not shaped like footballs pasted on the exterior of the face, they have very defined anatomy.

2. Diana's shtick is that she's a functional warrior, the slathered on lipstick is a bit off-putting and out of character

3. Draw your hands and weapons! Dynamic hands holding weapons is a major point of visual interest in character art and for your piece and you're trying to downplay it.

4. Her skin needs more color, even if it's just blues and purples. Right now it looks sallow and dead.

5. Where is the season 3 item?

The good:

1. Your colorscheme ****ing rocks, the cool colors work perfectly, and for the most part you've avoided grays in favor of saturated blues and purples. The purple gradient on her chestpiece especially is nice.

2. Your composition is divided fantastically, if I were to change anything it would be to push just a little bit to the right.

3. Your background has plenty of interesting things to look at, as well as places for the eye to rest.

Ze Ocelot

01-31-2013

From what I'm seeing, Diana is wearing Liandry's Torment and is walking/trudging through the snow toward the viewer and away from ruins, perhaps.

Is this a location she's been to before as mentioned in her lore? The ruins, temple, etc. If so, that's a nice touch with the sun emblem and setting; maybe she's returning from something like a prayer or "harnessing power/support of the moon". Just some guesses! If that's the case, having the mask affected by lunar events is interesting, embedding its mark. Sharpen that part a bit so it's a tiny bit more obvious.

I also notice a faint light/glow of the moon emblem like a ray of moonlight. Maybe center it with the sun emblem and beam of light that covers it.

Really like the color scheme and composition. I think that refining the lines and color can help. It's a matter or rendering and bringing more focus to elements you find important. Doesn't mean everything has to be crisp and crystal clear, that depends on the style and artist. Make the mask more prominent, so it's clear that it's not her actual face we're seeing.

Contrast the highlights and shadows more for Diana. Some smooth lines can also help define her body, outfit, etc. As for hands, yes, it'd be great if you can include them! For now, hope this helps; I like the progress!

Zaphy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

As a huge fan of the Diana/Leona lore I think you've created the scene where she's returned to the Solari clad in the Lunari garb and slain her former elder. Am I close? D:

Her armor details are amazing! Just feeling her skin tone and shadows could be a little more defined, though she is a pretty pale person.

Kurt the no0b

01-31-2013

Her face looks a bit out of place from the detail of everything else.... *reads Ze Ocelot's post*

OHHH its Liandry's Torment, cool!

Thats also my biggest issue. I think you can do a better job of fitting the mask into your style and color scheme.

I would dull the lipstick a bit. Also, one feature you left off the mask was the V shape exposing her forehead. Add this in and it becomes an obvious mask, plus you get to have fun drawing her lunar mark. I know you want to; it's already shaded in place on the mask!

Keep going, this picture is already stunning!!

Edit: After continuing to look at the picture, I believe you did draw the proper V shape I mentioned. The reason I didn't notice: her face and mask are very close in color. I would consider defining the edge of the mask more and maybe contrast the texture between her face and the mask. Also, that means you drew her lunar mark faded on purpose. It's your choice, but the mark is one of Diana's standout features that could help accentuate the mask she is wearing. (a little glow couldn't hurt)

General Stinky

01-31-2013

umm guys. im scared

Nidken

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkin525 View Post
Some things that stand out to me:

1. I don't know whats happening besides her standing/approaching the camera (us), and reaching back for her sword. I don't get the background.

2. It looks as though you hid her hands because you didn't want to deal with drawing them, I see this all the time. Try to refrain from doing this, look at picture of a hand in the pose you want to draw it in.

3. I'm not really seeing a new item here. You want the point of the picture to be easily read, that is, what the characer is doing, and what item you are showcasing. It's not a good thing if you have to sit and stare at the picture trying to find something that may/may not be in it.

4. I like the color scheme, the blues, greens and purples are nice.

5. I'd like to see the detail become less "foggy." It looks like I'm looking at your piece through a pair of glasses that aren't right for my eyes. The features, color, and detail are blurred looking. Make the details, and coloring crisp.

Good luck man, it's a good WIP.
1. clarified in first post (read the lore).
2. True. If you really feel it is necessary i will change it. I could move the sword so its resting on her shoulder.
3. Look at mask.
4. ty
5. She's in a mild snow storm and the mountains/ruins are far away. You'd kind of expect it to be blurred

JKGN

01-31-2013

i think it would've been cooler if she was trudging away WHILE putting on the mask.. so the mask hasn't fully covered her face yet. Diana has a nice face so it'd be a shame to cover it with a freaky mask like Liandry's torment.

The mask appears metallic cause you kept it very monotone of only grey with no ambience of color from the surrounding environment. but for starters, you can prolly smooth out the rogue grey patches on the mask, maybe add a few reflective highlights.

I still think you made the background drown into the blue too much. accentuate the highlights of those icemountains, it's actually a nice bg you have going.