Why are all Dota 2 heroes free as opposed to LoL?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Super Saiyan 3

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercecow View Post
You must not have been keeping up to with the latest tournaments. Nyx Assassin is at first ban/pick status along with Batrider.

To answer OP's question:

(1) Valve knows that if you had to unlock heroes in Dota2 very few people would play the game. ESPECIALLY the China Dota1 player base which they are targeting.
(2) Valve has confidence in their cosmetics based business plan. It worked for TF2 and they believe it'll work for Dota2.
(3) At least half the reason Dota2 exists is to get Chinese players onto Steam.
I have 6 keys that state " Cannot be redeemed in China"

NinjaBoyLao

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimaetus View Post
I have 6 keys that state " Cannot be redeemed in China"
Probably because Chinese client us still being localized, they cant just give away there as the current client might get Valve into trouble with those Skeleton Kings, Clinkz and Pugna,

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBoyLao View Post
Probably because Chinese client us still being localized, they cant just give away there as the current client might get Valve into trouble with those Skeleton Kings, Clinkz and Pugna,
I think its more the blood than anything else, though that may come in time, as well.

In either case if Valve can make special skins for a few character on the Chinese client, I see no reason why Riot can't do the same, in the future (but I know they won't).

Deadzomby

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNmAn621 View Post
Game costs 30 bucks. League is completely free. You can go your whole league career without spending a single penny, but you will have always payed that $30 for DotA 2.
Are you retarded? I got my key for free, and then later got 6 keys to handout to friends