Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

After a few hours of Dota 2...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrouge

02-01-2013

Quote:
Xion Moonray:
...Yeesh.

Having no experience with Dota at all, LoL being my first MOBA ever, I now realize the sheer difference between these games. To put it simply, Dota 2 feels like LoL's needlessly complicated big brother. Everything is just...stupid difficult. The item shop is a freaking nightmare (And there are three different shops at that). I haven't the slightest idea what I should be building, and the recommended items really doesn't help.

I will say this much: Some of the heroes are really cool. I liked Viper, he seems sort of Kog'Maw-ish. Broodmother's webs are pretty sweet. Venomancer feels kind of like Teemo. I also sort of like how everyone is relatively squishy, it makes things feel more exciting than LoL's tank-tastic style.

But seriously, Dota 2 is stupid complex. Don't even get me started on how difficult last-hitting is, or how asinine deny is. I wish I could port a few heroes to LoL, but really this game is so much more simple. It isn't even that Dota 2 is hard, per se. It's really no harder than LoL. It's just complicated for the sake of being complicated. I'll take LoL's streamlined approach any day.

If anyone still feels the need to try it to satisfy their morbid curiosity, like me, you can get keys via the community shop for $0.03 apiece. But really, I think I'll stick to LoL.

Typical LoL guy playing Dota for a few hours... Did you even play a bot game or did you hop directly into matchmaking and wasting not only your own but other people's time? Also the game's tutorial system is still in the works so new players have had to deal with the harsher learning environment. It's honestly no more difficult than LoL but has more nuances that have to be learnt and seemingly easy tasks such as last hitting are harder due to more variation in attack and casting animations.

Quote:
General Stinky:
complicated??? everything is based off basic attacks

If you think Dota revolves around simply auto-attacking then you're playing it wrong. The vast majority of heroes have at least 3 active abilities with a dozen having more than 4. Then you also have activatable items which account for nearly 1/2 of all items.

Quote:
BloodworksInc:
I don't think that's what OP is saying, at least I'm not saying it :O

I like DOTA 2 - I'm just so mega new to it I'm getting curbstomped by bots, which is of course what happened when I first started playing LoL. So in time it will change, maybe I'll learn how to fully use everything properly lol

Last hitting as Carrys is mad easy for me though, it's like kind of overtly easy..

.... Kinda wish it was that easy here lmfao

Last hitting in LoL for the most part is much much easier than in Dota. The reasons being that damage to minion ratios are higher earlier on and attack swings are faster here.

Quote:
CryoTyrfing:
Dota 2 is pretty enjoyable in the sense of how blatantly OP everything is. O hai Sven, how's that 200% damage increase for 25 seconds treating you? Mind tossing me some of that 12 second global stealth that comes back if you pop it Mirana? Anti-mage is your 5 second Cd low mana cost high range blink off cooldown? Of course it is.

OP in the context of... another game namely LoL? Yeah I guess everything in LoL is blatantly UP... in the context of... Dota or HoN.

Quote:
SUDÀ:
LoL is not slow paced the map is just huge

and in LoL there are actual roles and metas

Okay a couple of things I have to mention:

LoL's map is much smaller than Dota's and the gameplay exhibits a lot more passivity in that you don't have as many crazy initiation abilities and items as in Dota nor do you have gold loss upon death which helps to shut down a carry moreso than in LoL. LoL is a lot more static when it comes to meta-games which is part of what makes it feel more stagnant and boring.

JollyRedmane

02-01-2013

Quote:
cauliflower:
I played one game of dota 2. By five minutes in I was getting one shot across the map by some sort of global ability. That was cool.

FACE UP TO YOUR MORTALITY!

And your team should've kept better track of Zeus and what he was doing. Him getting ult at minute 5, to me, seems like he had free farm, or was fed.

SaT Havoc

02-01-2013

Quote:
Valoon:
What is top 30%? I thought it was around 1400 in Dota. It would mean that you're also top 30% in LoL no?

But overall i agree with you.

Dota 2/Dotabuff's MMR is different than league's ELO system, 1400 in Dota 2 is roughly 70th percentile and gold rating, my bet is that it's probably close to 1700/1800 in League.

NickPham

02-01-2013

Quote:
SaT Havoc:
Dota 2/Dotabuff's MMR is different than league's ELO system, 1400 in Dota 2 is roughly 70th percentile and gold rating, my bet is that it's probably close to 1700/1800 in League.

Riot didn't release this for Season 2, but for Season 1:

Quote:
RiotMarcou:

• Platinum (Top 0.2%) - 1900 and above (3v3: 1700+, pre-made 5v5: 1750+): a framed summoner icon in platinum, a platinum banner in summoner profile, a platinum forum badge and a special skin for Jarvan IV
  • Gold (Top 3%) - Between 1520 and 1899 (3v3: 1490-1699, pre-made 5v5: 1500-1749) : a framed summoner icon in gold, a gold banner in your summoner profile, a gold forum badge and a special skin for Jarvan IV
  • Silver (Top 10%) - Between 1400 and 1519 (3v3: 1410-1489, pre-made 5v5: 1410-1499) : a framed summoner icon in silver and a silver banner in your summoner profile
  • Bronze (Top 25%) - Between 1249 and 1399 (3v3: 1249-1409, pre-made 5v5: 1249-1409) : a bronze banner in your summoner profile

Take that as you will. Top 30% is not terrible, but it's not super impressive when you consider that both LoL and Dota 2 have countless low level players so bad most of us could not even imagine.

Valoon

02-01-2013

Didn't remember it was that bad, my god it's even worst than Dota. This skill distribution i don't get this at all, how can 75% of the people playing ranked and knowing they will be ranked can be worse than the entry level.
At least in Dota you are ranked when you play and you don't really have the choice to go somewhere not ranked so i can understand the weird skill balance because of all the noobs trying the game etc..

Also you're kinda wrong about the difference, i have an EU account and back in the day i was playing with my brother all the time and he was 1700 Elo, i was not doing ranked but i had game against 1700 Elo players and some platinium sometimes (back in S1). So i guess my level was 1700 in LoL first season, second season probably the same didn't play much tho. And in Dota i'm 1620 DBR so it's kinda close, let's say i improved so maybe 1600 DBR is like 1800 Elo but according to you it should be 2000 Elo and it's definitly not.

NickPham

02-01-2013

I'm sure there's a lot of factors and information we're missing with the LoL statistics. However, I'm also fairly sure that the skill distribution in Dota 2 is currently much more top heavy than LoL's considering it's still in beta and is currently being played mostly by experienced MOBA players.

According to Dotabuff, I'm in the top 3% of players, yet I'm usually matched in High matchmaking and not Very High matchmaking. This is more or less consistent with how good I feel I am at the game in general.

SaT Havoc

02-01-2013

well Kudos to you, good find. whether or not my gold DBR is impressive or not, is still well beyond satisfactory for me.

When Dotabuff released ratings, the first time i looked i thought i'd be in the bottom 50%, such wasn't the case.

Squkkawakka

02-01-2013

How did I just now learn about this dota buff rating system? Like I knew about dota buff.. but I didnt know it actually did a rating.. learned something new every day apparently.. brb checking score

Edit: Well apparently it s a moot point, with Dota buff getting trashed... oh well, 1937 rating made me smile =)

Valoon

02-01-2013

Quote:
NickPham:
I'm sure there's a lot of factors and information we're missing with the LoL statistics. However, I'm also fairly sure that the skill distribution in Dota 2 is currently much more top heavy than LoL's considering it's still in beta and is currently being played mostly by experienced MOBA players.

According to Dotabuff, I'm in the top 3% of players, yet I'm usually matched in High matchmaking and not Very High matchmaking. This is more or less consistent with how good I feel I am at the game in general.

Yes but MOBA beginners will probably never play Dota unless for some reason it becomes fashion like it is to play LoL, i tried with a friend it didn't went well.

I have no clue about the brakets i would say Diamond people play in very high but since they always complain about noobs in this braket i guess it's not true.

Algol1

02-01-2013

Stick with it. I felt the same way but it's worth it.